AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just upgraded my Denon 7.1 AVR- 787 receiver to a Pioneer AVS1019AH-K hdmi receiver. I was wondering if I'm able to bi-amp my Denon receiver to connect to my Pioneer receiver and route the signal from, Pioneer>Denon>Speakers. I'm using a 5.1 setup. Thanks.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
no.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Try running the Preouts of the Denon to the 5.1 inputs of the Pio.I did that for a bit with different brands and it worked...but didn't sound any better than just a single receiver.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I see no reason it won't work IF the primary receiver has pre outs. You can't amp more channels than the secondary receiver has inputs for.

Not sure that works any better, than say, using the other receiver as an amp (not biamping.) For example, using it to amp surround channels or something, just to take some load off the primary receiver's power supply.

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
^^^

i see several reasons why it wouldn't work... unless i'm reading his first post wrong, which is entirely possible...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chexi1 /forum/post/19514837

Bi-amping without an active cross-over to split the load between the amps is a waste of time and money.

He might gain some minor benefit, as he would be offloading some of the work to another amp.

I still think he might be best perhaps, to use the second receiver as a "normal" amp, to off load some of the work, such as powering some surround channels. This would effectively increase his total system power IF the limiter was the power supply, or internal limiter circuits in the receivers.

For example, say both receivers had 500 VA transformers, and had limiter circuits. Using both receivers would increase the total transformer capacity, and well as reducing the effects of limiting in both receivers.

I would say experiementation could determine what would work best, if anything. Unless I am missing something, as someone has implied

It may not be worth it, but it's really not a ton of work to try it out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone, I will try all recommend solutions, I just didn't wanted to put the 787 receiver to waste. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
If you are determined to use the old avr this way: might I suggest powering the front three entirely from the beefier amp and the surround from the less beefy? You'll get the adva.rages while havin an easier time level matching. Also, if the older sub is the one powering the surrounds you can just not turn it on for 2-ch

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jerry,

I was thinking the same thing by feeding all three fronts and see how it works. I'll play around with all the suggestions.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLove /forum/post/19515807

might I suggest powering the front three entirely from the beefier amp and the surround from the less beefy? You'll get the adva.rages while havin an easier time level matching. Also, if the older sub is the one powering the surrounds you can just not turn it on for 2-ch

I think this would be the most effective use of the older AVR, rather than trying to bi-amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts