AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All of the bookshelf speakers I have been auditioning have two sets of binding posts with jumpers.

I have also acquired a separate Luxman M-111 4x25wpc amp. It's not an A/B amp, but a true 4 channel. Both sides are bridgeable, resulting in ~50x2 into 8 ohms. As a quality amp in mint condition, I'm not worried about M-111's ability to drive whichever speaker I choose.

I am aware that the individual speaker, its specifications, and how the drivers react to the power they are given is important, and I should experiment with whichever speakers I choose to find a setup that I like best. I plan on doing this experimentation.

The speaker I'm leaning towards at the moment is 6ohms and 87db sensitivity. I listen at low volumes (usually 45-60db) and for long periods.

In general, are there any thoughts on bi-amping vs. bridging? Pros & cons of either?

Thanks.

·
Registered
30,815 Posts
Passive biamping is generally useless but benign. Bridging will increase available power but it should more than double it, so I am a little curious about the Luxman amp's transition from 25 to 50w when bridged.

Frankly, it is old and low-powered so, unless you are married to it, there are better amps. Besides, one should choose the speaker first...................

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

The 50w bridged was a guesstimate - there are no manuals anywhere online, but the one I bought should be in the orig. box with manual. We will see when it gets here.

I really don't feel the need for more power. My room is ~1500 cubic feet, and I listen at low volumes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.