AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Is it possible to use Bi-amp in Onkyo 606 and connect one pair to the front output and the second to the surround back?

Will i be able to control the crossover/equalizer for each pair in bi-amp mode or is it set automatically to lower/higher frequency without the ability to modify it?

Thanks

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbermm /forum/post/14281033

Hi,

Is it possible to use Bi-amp in Onkyo 606 and connect one pair to the front output and the second to the surround back?

Will i be able to control the crossover/equalizer for each pair in bi-amp mode or is it set automatically to lower/higher frequency without the ability to modify it?

Yes, you can use the biamp setting to connect a second pair of speakers if you want them to be sent the same exact info that is being sent to the front speakers.

Whatever settings are applied to the front speakers by the receiver will be applied identically to the speakers that you connect to the surround back outputs when in in biamp mode.

Didn't you already ask this recently?

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbermm /forum/post/14281033

Hi,

Thanks

There is no inbuilt crossover when AVRs are used for biamping. The identical full-range signal is output from both sets of terminals.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/14282468

There is no inbuilt crossover when AVRs are used for biamping. The identical full-range signal is output from both sets of terminals.

That's spot on what Kal said and the only possible route is an affordable Behringer DCX2496 loudspeaker management system which is what I'm running and its far more exciting to tailor the sound for less harshness with lower lows and higher highs.

You first need to have the bottle to give up the internal crappy amplifiers that is in just about every single AVR that's walked or crawled.

Get a set of new amplifiers and DCX2496 and be prepared for better home cinema sound rather than lemon, balls in your court.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14282527

That's spot on what Kal said and the only possible route is an affordable Behringer DCX2496 loudspeaker management system which is what I'm running and its far more exciting to tailor the sound for less harshness with lower lows and higher highs.

I am afraid that I don't go along with that unless the user is prepared to remove/bypass the built-in crossovers from the speakers.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/14282468

If the front speakers are set to SMALL, then a high-passed signal is what is fed to both the front channel outputs and the reassigned surround rear outputs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes, i asked a similar question for the same reason and got no replies so i thought i'll simplify my needs.

I have a KEF 2005.2 + a pair of large Full range speakers.

I wanted to use the KEF ONLY for movies and the large speaker ONLY for music.

I tried using the pair on Zone 2 but it sounds flat, and receives only analogue input so i started thinking about connecting an external equalizer between the DVD analogue output and the analogue input in the receiver.

Now i guess i can connect the KEF fronts to the front output and the large pair to the surround back output and enable bi-amp. In addition i can use some kind of switch to disable the KEF fronts when listening to stereo music.

But i think there is still a problem with this solution - If you say that the exact output is sent to both pairs, i can't actually define them as full range since the KEF fronts will also be set as full. On the other hand i can't set them to small either since the large speakers will not have the lower frequencies.

Can't i enable bi-amp and set each pair seperately - one small and one full range?

Thanks a lot for the replies

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbermm /forum/post/14283614

Yes, i asked a similar question for the same reason and got no replies............

I answered it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbermm /forum/post/14283614

Can't i enable bi-amp and set each pair seperately - one small and one full range?

NO, YOU CAN'T. Think about it. How do you think the "bi-amp mode" works? It simply duplicates at the surround rear amps exactly what is being sent to the front speakers. The receiver is simple. In order to do what you are describing it would require a whole other chipset just for applying separate settings to the surround rear amps only when they are being used in "bi-amp mode". No manufacturer is going to include that capability. The "bi-amp mode" is intended to be used to bi-amp a single pair of speakers, not what you want to do. Whatever settings are being applied to the front speakers will ALWAYS be applied to the surround rear outputs when the receiver is in "bi-amp mode".

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14283198

If the front speakers are set to SMALL, then a high-passed signal is what is fed to both the front channel outputs and the reassigned surround rear outputs.

Of course. By full-range, I was referring to the lack of any woofer/mid/tweeter crossovers.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts
zilbermm,

I don't know why Zone2 is not a reasonable option for you. If this is for 2-channel music (CDs), then Zone2 with an analog connection should work fine, unless you want the subwoofer to be in on the action. Just assign an unused analog input ("CD", for example) to Zone2. I doubt you can tell a real difference between decoding with the player versus decoding with the receiver. Just make certain you turn off the "bi-amp mode" to use Zone2.

Another thing to consider is that some receivers, when in "pure direct" mode (or something similar), will not apply bass-management to the front speaker outputs and instead will send a full-range signal to the front speakers. The receiver's settings are ignored. The subwoofer is either not utilized in the receiver's "pure direct" mode or if it is still utilized, can usually be set to off by turning the sub's level trim down all the way until the receiver's display says "OFF". Most receivers remember the settings for each mode. So, if you had an A/B speaker selector switch that allowed you to switch between the the KEFs and your towers, you could take advantage of this if your receiver operates this way. What receiver is it?

To take this a step further, if your player has more than one digital output (i.e. coax and optical), you could use one connection specifically for your music playback by assigning that particular digital connection in the receiver to, for example, "CD". Then you could set the receiver to use the "pure direct" mode when "CD" is selected as the input source. It should remember this setting. You would still have to have a way to switch off the KEF speakers, and a speaker selector switch would be the best way to accomplish this (as opposed to trying to use the receiver's "bi-amp mode" + a switch). If your player has only one digital output, then you could still set up a scheme like this but you would have to use an optical switcher or cheap video switcher (depending upon what sort of digital output your player has) to split the digital output into 2 signals, one of which you could assign to movies and the other to music.

Yet another option would be to use an advanced remote controller such as a Harmony. You could then program it to switch the front speaker settings to LARGE for music listening and back to SMALL for movies. Again, you would still have to use an A/B speaker selector switch, but if it was remote controllable, you could program the Harmony to do this, too.

But, for what you want to do, utilizing Zone 2 is your best option.

Since you have to have a way to turn off one or the other pairs of speakers, the other options I discussed would require an A/B speaker selector switch but would still not require you to utilize the receiver's "bi-amp mode".

·
Registered
1 Posts
Found this thread, I have a similar question.

So I've gathered that there is no x-over in the S606.. Here's my situation:

In my car (which was recently totaled), I had a fully active setup, using a PPI DCX-730 signal processor as my x-over/EQ, and a combo of ScanSpeak revelator mids and Seas tweets.. They were a great combo in my car, and I want to build towers out of them for the home.

I'm looking at the suggested behringer unit, and it looks like the only way I can run my front towers active ( and still have 5.1), is if I use a line out from the receiver, to the behringer, to another amp just for the front speakers.. but the 606 doesn't have pre-outs for each channel..

So am I right in saying that if I want to run an active setup for my front towers, and still have 5.1, the 606 won't work as my base receiver?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch3rryC0ke /forum/post/14315906

I'm looking at the suggested behringer unit, and it looks like the only way I can run my front towers active ( and still have 5.1), is if I use a line out from the receiver, to the behringer, to another amp just for the front speakers.. but the 606 doesn't have pre-outs for each channel..

So am I right in saying that if I want to run an active setup for my front towers, and still have 5.1, the 606 won't work as my base receiver?

I assume what you wanted to do was loop the receiver's pre-outs through the Behringer and then back into the amp and out to the speakers. Since the 606 has no pre-outs, you can't do that. Even if it did, I do not think you could accomplish what you are trying to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, i finally decided to get a speaker A/B switch and connect both front pairs to the front output of the receiver. When i want to use the towers, i'll just use the switch and disable the sub which automatically defines the front as 'Full range'.

The only thing that worries me is what happens in case i forget the fronts as 'Full range' when switching back to the KEF fronts. Can it damage the speakers or will the KEFs handle that?

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilbermm /forum/post/14331482

The only thing that worries me is what happens in case i forget the fronts as 'Full range' when switching back to the KEF fronts. Can it damage the speakers or will the KEFs handle that?

At high volumes, of course it can. This would be more apt to happen with a movie/TV soundtrack than with music.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts