AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Looking at generating a bit more power to my fronts, and wanted an opinion on something.

If I find a good quality older AVR that has 6-channel in inputs (i.e. 5.1 inputs) for the old days of onboard DVD decoders, is this the same as a "pre in" in that it will only amplify the signal without re-processing it?

Reason I ask is that power amps are in short supply where I am, but I can pick up some nice used H/K or Yamaha AVRs for a low dollar amount.

Let me know your thoughts!

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
yes if the second AV amp has direct bypass (bypassing av amp volume) normally they don't so you will be going through another pre-amp.

Seems a lot of hassle to me.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Passive bi-amping generally achieves nothing, and in your case it would achieve nothing but occupying additional rack space.

If you want more power to your fronts then get a 2-ch amp and send the front pre-out signal to that.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
Passive bi-amping is worth it, for certain gear. But for his use sounds lower end, so not worthwhile. I had problems finding multi-channel poweramps so went with several 2 channel power amplifiers.

A few Arcam Alpha 8P's were only £100 each, so 6 channels for £600, 50W per channel..

·
Registered
3,575 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522508/bi-amping-with-a-2nd-avr-receiver#post_24481384

Passive bi-amping is worth it, for certain gear

I am not convinced of this...

...all convincing arguments I have seen indicate no benefit to passive bi-amping.

And Scooter, there are plenty of amps here in the Great White North eh! Check out cancukaudiomart - I've picked up two used ones through it (one 2-ch and one m-ch).

·
Banned
4,273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbottom  /t/1522508/bi-amping-with-a-2nd-avr-receiver#post_24481384

Passive bi-amping is worth it, for certain gear.

It is worth it only for pure aesthetic reason - if you are one of those guys that like to have multiple pretty cables and amps.

Like having an excuse to own multiple pretty McIntosh amps and Kimber cables.

But it's not worth anything for sound quality.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys,

It's not like my NAD is underpowered for my listening room, and my preference is to find something like an old NAD integrated stereo amp that has a pre-in on it so I can use it strictly as a power amp.

And Rick, I am looking at doing this as an experiment, which means if I do not hear any sonic improvement, it would be nice to have a pretty spiffy receiver/AVR to throw in the bedroom or the basement stereo system. I mean an HK AVR300 with an asking price of $80? That's insane! Mind you, waiting to hear back from a guy with a 70's vintage Rotel with pre ins - maybe that's the ticket.

Regardless, thanks for the feedback....

Just see a window of opportunity here - while we're renoing our living room, my wife has not complained yet about me dragging in a 200 CD changer, increasing the size of my mains by about 1' in height, and (shhhh) switching to bipoles for the surrounds. Figure if there's a time I can get away with throwing a 2nd amp onto the stand, now's the time. As long as I'm spending money on stuff she wants, I get a few things too. LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts