AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;

After many months of laziness and waiting; I finally picked and amp for my PSB Synch One; I chose the NAD C390dd. Pretty sweet sounding and powerfull; basically has everything you could want in one chassis; Top notch DAC, Stable High power (150w at 12/8/6/4/2 ohms) and a preamp out. That got me thinking....

Have any of you bi-amped different amp types; Class A with D; AB/D etc? I am very happy with my 390dd purchase; but I was wondering if I could get Tubey Sweetness in the Highs and Rock Solid Class D for the lows out of my Synch Ones. I don't really hear the "demanding load" that the Psych One's apparently have with my current amp (no pun intended). The 390DD sounds awesome. But I have always wanted a tube amp; and the Primaluna is pretty cheap and I think I can set it up in the following manner:

Use the pre-amp out on the 390DD and send a pre amp signal to the HT Fixed-Volume INPUT on the Primaluna to power the HI-MID terminals on my Synch One; while using the 390DD to power the bass terminals on the Synch One. One Volume control is used (on the 390 DD); only 2 pairs of Interconnects maximum (USB Key and Rca's or Toslink and RCAs depending on my source), while obtaining something unique in sound (at lease that's my theory)

Has anyone ever tried this? Am I on to something revolutionary for Bi-Amping? Am I Cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs? Any input would be great!!!

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
I assume you are talking about active bi-amping and not the "passive" bi-amping AVRs do (the latter is a waste of effort IMO). Given that, I would add a crossover after the preamp outputs. That still leaves the NAD's amps running full range unless it has the ability to set an internal LPF to the amps (I do not know; the vast majority of AVRs do not, and Onkyo only provides a few fixed frequencies).

A lot depends upon the speakers and your preferences. I bi-amped my Magnepans for many years using a tube amp for the mid/high panels and hybrid (tube input, SS output) for the bass. It sounded great, but with planers and Magnepan's soft crossover slopes I found a typical SS amp (Krell, Mark Levinson, etc.) did not integrate well. It took me some time to hit upon a combination of amps and crossover settings that worked well. Matching phase at the crossover and getting slopes that optimize sound and frequency response can be quite a task. At least it was for me, YMMV.

My current system uses an active crossover to roll off the lows to my panels but uses SS for mains and subs. The subs use class D. I have used class AB and class D amps on the mains and heard no difference (at least none that I would expect to survive a DBT). While class D tends to have poorer HF response from what I have read/seen/heard, I would not expect significant sonic differences among well-designed SS amps driving most speakers at reasonable levels (insert additional qualifiers here -- IMO/IME amps are different but the differences are inaudible in most cases; I think amps are overkill for the majority of home systems).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts