AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a question to any Onkyo 705 owners out there:

(Well first a bit of background information)

I have the following speakers, Polk RTi8s (floor standing), 6s (bookshelfs), and RTiA1s.

Now, my room really isn't big enough for 7.1, and I already have a set of RTi10s for 2.0 music in another room.

Question: Has anyone played around with using the bi-amp function on the 705 and run the rear 2.0 channels instead in "front" mode into a second set of front speakers. I'm basically wondering what it'd be like to mount the 6's on top of the 8's and build super towers (why you ask? why the F(CK not???)

Any feedback, insults, "screw you"s or "bite me"s will be appreciated.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLocke88 /forum/post/14272102

Had a question to any Onkyo 705 owners out there:

(Well first a bit of background information)

I have the following speakers, Polk RTi8s (floor standing), 6s (bookshelfs), and RTiA1s.

Now, my room really isn't big enough for 7.1, and I already have a set of RTi10s for 2.0 music in another room.

Question: Has anyone played around with using the bi-amp function on the 705 and run the rear 2.0 channels instead in "front" mode into a second set of front speakers. I'm basically wondering what it'd be like to mount the 6's on top of the 8's and build super towers (why you ask? why the F(CK not???)

Any feedback, insults, "screw you"s or "bite me"s will be appreciated.

You can certainly do that, but running 2 sets of front speakers is a bad idea. Your 8s were designed properly to be used alone. Same for the 6s. They're not designed to be stacked.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14272811

You can certainly do that, but running 2 sets of front speakers is a bad idea. Your 8s were designed properly to be used alone. Same for the 6s. They're not designed to be stacked.

I'm just curious why running 2 sets would be bad? I was considering doing something like this to get more sound up front to compete with two 15" subwoofers.

What if the fronts were identical speakers, possibly sitting side by side. Like 2 Rti-8's right next to each other.

Or could it be done with something a bit more simple. Like 2 of these stacked on top of each other (or something similar):

Do you think those would cause any issues?

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erich H /forum/post/14497190

I'm just curious why running 2 sets would be bad? I was considering doing something like this to get more sound up front to compete with two 15" subwoofers.

Compete? More like cooperate. You should be able to adjust this with the built-in level controls.

Quote:
What if the fronts were identical speakers, possibly sitting side by side. Like 2 Rti-8's right next to each other.

Or could it be done with something a bit more simple. Like 2 of these stacked on top of each other (or something similar):

Do you think those would cause any issues?

In all cases, the presence of additional speakers producing the same signals will result in interference and corruption of the normal smooth radiation patterns in certain frequency bands. Stacked is less pernicious than side-by-side.

·
Registered
7,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/14499295

Compete? More like cooperate. You should be able to adjust this with the built-in level controls.

In all cases, the presence of additional speakers producing the same signals will result in interference and corruption of the normal smooth radiation patterns in certain frequency bands. Stacked is less pernicious than side-by-side.

Yeh, I probably shouldn't have used the word "compete". And I do appreciate you explaining about the radiation patterns. It makes sense.

I have a set of Rti-8's and a Denon 987 which I think puts out 110 watts per. I think they sound a bit worked when matched up with either two 12" ED subs for music or two 15" subs for theater. And I'm only putting 200 watts max to each sub.

And even then, on the Denon I have to set the sub levels to -11, which is one level away from actually turning them off.

Maybe I need to get some 8" mids up front. I'm just not sure yet, I haven't had the set up for a very long time. Or maybe I just need to start looking for different speakers.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
You may have issues, but more speakers is not the solution.

Where do you have your AVR set?

Speakers should be set to small,

Sub to on or yes,

Cross over at 80hz.

It sounds like you main speakers are not getting the signal they need and

you have your subs up to loud.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts