AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Your thread title says bi-amp, and the contents say bi-wire. I am thinking you wanted the ability to bi-wire? (A debatably pointless technique)

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
Any mulitchannel amp with two unused channels could be used to do this.

However, IMO, it's not worth buying a new multichannel just to bi-amp/bi-wire. If you want more power then buy a single more powerful amp. As an example, using two 100w channels or even separate 100wpc amps to bi-amp is NOT at all like running that same speaker from a single 200w amp - not even remotely close....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/0

Your thread title says bi-amp, and the contents say bi-wire. I am thinking you wanted the ability to bi-wire? (A debatably pointless technique)

The Klipsch towers are already bi-wired and the only amplifier I saw that was actually made for Bi-wired speakers (meaning it had four positive and negative for each left and right) was by Aragon and apparently Klipsch no longer produces Aragon Electronics so I was wondering if there was another amplifier like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/0

Any mulitchannel amp with two unused channels could be used to do this.

However, IMO, it's not worth buying a new multichannel just to bi-amp/bi-wire. If you want more power then buy a single more powerful amp. As an example, using two 100w channels or even separate 100wpc amps to bi-amp is NOT at all like running that same speaker from a single 200w amp - not even remotely close....

I have began to look at doing that with a multi-channel amp with extra channels but wasn't sure.

·
Registered
30,819 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickstyle2 /forum/post/0

The Klipsch towers are already bi-wired and the only amplifier I saw that was actually made for Bi-wired speakers (meaning it had four positive and negative for each left and right) was by Aragon and apparently Klipsch no longer produces Aragon Electronics so I was wondering if there was another amplifier like that.

Any amp will biwire either using 4 pairs of terminals or 2 pairs of terminals.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
So, getting something like the Anthem PVA 7 (7 channel amp) and using the extra two channels to send to the front left and right would be pointless then?

If you have an amp with two "extra" amp channels just laying around doing nothing...then yes by all means bi-amp your fronts..it'll of course be of some benifit. But to deploy this as a strategy going into buying an amp..isnt a very productive way of spending your money. As mentioned by previous posters..Your always just better off with a more powerfull single amp channel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0

If you have an amp with two "extra" amp channels just laying around doing nothing...then yes by all means bi-amp your fronts..it'll of course be of some benifit. But to deploy this as a strategy going into buying an amp..isnt a very productive way of spending your money. As mentioned by previous posters..Your always just better off with a more powerfull single amp channel.

So, after these answers and such, which amp(s) should I get for a 5 channel surround?

And if you're feeling nice, which pre-amps? I'd like to get a future proof one, so preferably one with HDMI.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
So, after these answers and such, which amp(s) should I get for a 5 channel surround?

And if you're feeling nice, which pre-amps? I'd like to get a future proof one, so preferably one with HDMI.

Ah, its not that easy Andrew...First you must tell us the secret password

Really though, you need to let us know some things about your current system and what you want,

What speakers do you have ( need effeciency and ohm rating )

What is the precentage of use ( movies, music etc )

What volumes do you listen to usually

How big is your listening environment

How much funds are you willing to spend

Blu-ray or HD-DVD in the future

what are you watching it on ( 1080i, 1080p set etc.)

This i'll do for starters

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by psujohny /forum/post/0

Ah, its not that easy Andrew...First you must tell us the secret password

Really though, you need to let us know some things about your current system and what you want,

What speakers do you have ( need effeciency and ohm rating )

What is the precentage of use ( movies, music etc )

What volumes do you listen to usually

How big is your listening environment

How much funds are you willing to spend

Blu-ray or HD-DVD in the future

what are you watching it on ( 1080i, 1080p set etc.)

This i'll do for starters

The fronts are Klipsch KLF-20 which have an impedance of 8 ohms, not sure about the efficiency rating so the fronts

The center is also 8 ohms Klipsch KLF-C7

The rears are 8 ohms. Klipsch RS-7

Funds are...$6000 Canadian max? Could be overkill could be not.

Right now it's audio, but there will be a 1080p set on it and volumes would be decently loud. Also, there will be either HD-DVD or Blu-ray but I'm not sure which one right now.

It's in a 15x15 room right now but it will be in a bigger room soon...say 20x20. Music would be over movies for what I'd be listening to.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts

Quote:
The fronts are Klipsch KLF-20 which have an impedance of 8 ohms, not sure about the efficiency rating so the fronts

The center is also 8 ohms Klipsch KLF-C7

The rears are 8 ohms. Klipsch RS-7

Dude, you have Klipsch's ..you could drive em with a clock radio and have enough watts ..

Quality watts and not quantity watts applies here.

I heard a pair of Klipsches being driven by an 8 watt ( thats right 8 watts ) tube amp that sounded marvelous ..Dont take much.

Since the Klipschs are lets say on the revealing side ..Id try to partner it with lets say more laid back equipment if it were me.

With the kinda funds your willing to spend you could consider some of the flagship recievers..PlentyOpower for your equipment.

Marantz, H/K, Denon would seem to be a great match for Klipschs.

If you wanna go the seperates route...and have an empasis on Movies ..the like of Lexicon is hard to beat imo. For amps, dont overspend on "mega-watts" as you dont need it.

For strictly music ..tube amps and Klipsch's are like ice cream and apply pie

·
Registered
22 Posts
Based on the question about the Lexicon, are you saying you've got $6K for just the amp? (Your earlier comment about looking for a preamp as well had me a bit confused). Anyway, it would seem to me that with that kind of budget you might be able to talk your local dealer into letting you audition something at home with your speakers. Heck, with $6K CDN you could easily get a Bryston 9B SST--built like a tank--20 year transferable warranty, or a Simaudio (Moon). Both those are built in Canada. If you want a combination you could get a high end Anthem Amp (Statement line) A5 plus one of their preamp-processors like the AVM 30. If you really want 7 channels you might want to check out the Arcam combo of the P1000 amp plus the AVP700 pre-pro.

That combination retails for $6K CDN but you could get it for $5K. (These prices must make our American friends gag compared to what they pay for the same stuff!!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.