AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a pair of bi-polar tower main speakers and was wondering what others think about this type of speaker in general. I would also appreciate any comments about placement (how far away from the wall they have to be) and problems with small rooms. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I have mine about 18" from the wall behind them (front of room) and about 30" from the side walls (16' wide room). Original BP-2000's.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have to agree with Larry. You need to get them out from the wall or they will most likely mud up in sound. I have a pair of older Paradigm Reference series Export/BP's that sounds really nice as long as you give them breathing room.

Kevin

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have finally added bipolar mains and I must say that the sound is nothing short of amazing. The soundtage is so much deeper than it was with direct radiators. In my short experience, I would have to say that I am now a big fan of bi-polar speakers. Now I just need to add some bipolar rears.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
It does make up alot for sticking the speaker where ever you wnat. If the speaker and room are designed rigth the sound will be clear and around you and every note clean. The trouble is no one really hires a sound engineer (unless your me) to do this so by putting by poles in it has no choice but to send sound in every driection making up for this factor of roomplacement and I have herd some amazing dipoles.

Now that being said if you talk into a wall it doesn't sounds different than if you were talking to someone, why the wall will slow the sound waves and change the pitch. The same thing happens with dipoles you really wind up with 2 seprate tones hitting you at different times (phase inaccurate) This can sound good because a sound sounds very full. But accruate not art all. You be the judge, I almost bought some and I do like them just couldn't do it in the end though. But than again I don't care about style I stick my speakers where I want so I can put them oin the sweet spot.

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
I ran DefTech BP-10s for 7 years before "upgrading" to the ELTs. I found the ELTs were much better at HT because they presented a more deliniated left and right channel while still keeping a large soundstage. I now have a slight bias for direct radiators for HT. For 2-channel music, my DefTechs sounded better in my old living room compared to my new one. They also sounded slightly better that the ELTs, but I am mostly HT.

Many speakers, not just bi-polars, need to have a healthy distance from the wall. You could generalize that placing bi-polar speakers is more difficult, but don't think direct-radiators are simple.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have the Von Schweikert Vr-3s and love them. I can adjust the rear drivers up or down to tune the sound.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have Mirage speakers and they are amazing sounding. I say they are one great set of speakers.. I think you just have to place them right and you have yourselft a great set of speakers..

·
Registered
51 Posts
I had CSW bi-poles for 8 days last year and returned them. I just couldn't get past the muddied sound and the garbled dialogue. I didn't know why this was at the time but the post above about the same sounds hitting the listener/viewer at the same time makes sense. Maybe in a dedicated HT room they would work better.

Good luck DooDoo, hopefully your speakers don't sound like your username.

All the best....

Adam

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by agacek
I had CSW bi-poles for 8 days last year and returned them. I just couldn't get past the muddied sound and the garbled dialogue. I didn't know why this was at the time but the post above about the same sounds hitting the listener/viewer at the same time makes sense. Maybe in a dedicated HT room they would work better.

Good luck DooDoo, hopefully your speakers don't sound like your username.

All the best....

Adam
Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts. Things like this make my day a little brighter. If you ever need anything I am here for you.

Wishing you all the very best...

DooDoo

·
Registered
51 Posts
This is why I love AVS forum. Everyone trying to help each other out.

you have a PM DooDoo. maybe we can meet up sometime for a beer and some HT talk.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks agacek. Critical listening of the relevant showpieces must commence with undue haste. Please report your results.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i thought I was "peccavi in disguise", oy vay, maybe anyone who started on this thread after him....

Anywho, I like bi-polars, though don't use them now in any of my systems. I will sum up the arguement for them by saying that natural sound from live acoustic instruments does not radiate in one direction, but rather reflects early of walls to the sides and rear of the instruments, yet I rarely hear people refer to acoustic sound off a live stage as muddy .

pinpoint imaging is nice in my family room , but an artificial construct of a stereo mixdown, I like the wide ,deep stage and huge sweetspot.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by richard schweaty
I like the wide ,deep stage and huge sweetspot.
This sums up my feelings exactly. The difference in depth is night and day. Music just seems so much better. Anyway, I'm glad I made the change.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.