AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1 one setup and kept my old Boston Acoustics as rears. My question is are bipolar or dipolars bad for rear surrounds? One of the reasons I am asking is because I was listening to Top Gun in DTS EX and in one scene there were some voices in the rear surrounds and they were garbled and not clear, not sure if it was the speakers or just the movie.

· Banned
3,669 Posts
I have Definitive Technology bipolars for surrounds and it sounds great. I have Definitive BPVX's which are wedge type bipolars and they are pretty incredible. They fill the back of the room with lots of sound. very nice I think. J.H.

· Registered
7,786 Posts
I just purchased a pair of Energy RC-R bi-pole/di-pole surrounds ($600.00 pr). Have'nt got the chance to mount them on my wall yet, but they sure look cool! Very nice build quality.
http://www.energy-speakers.com/v2/pr...age.php?id=271

I'm primarily into music-- 2-channel and multi-channel (SACD, DVD-A, etc.,...)-- so I'm very curious to hear the differences "dual-mode"speakers like this type can make in surround music. I'm expecting good performance for movie sound-tracks.

· Registered
175 Posts
I will admit that I don't know much about cancellation. I have a system I am setting up in my home and so far I am getting the best results with bipole surrounds on the back wall. The room does not avail itself to side surrounds and the the seating is very close to the back wall. I have tried floorstanders and bipoles and so far I am getting better results with the bipoles on the back wall with a wide spread. This is in spite of the bipoles not even being the same brand as the fronts. This setup also seems to disperse the surround effects to all seating areas. This room is not a dedicated home theater and has seating in al L arrangement. I don' think there are that many absolutes when it comes to this stuff. Keep an open mind and experiment if you can. That's what I am doing.

Tom

· Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgl /forum/post/0

Bipoles do not have the same issue, as both sides are in phase.

Thanks for clearing that up for me as that has been on my mind since I posted that reply. My fronts are Kef Reference Three and the rears I tried last night are RS62 Klipsch that are part of a set I will probably sell eventually. I will check to make sure but I believe they are bipole. I know at least some of the Kef surrounds are dipole and I will will do some research there too. Good food for thought as I search for surrounds for my back wall.

Tom

· Registered
4,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobester /forum/post/0

After checking it looks like all Kef surround speakers are dipoles. Since I need to mount surrounds wide on a rear wall and seating is against that rear wall how do I get around the cancellation problem?

Tom

There is no cancellation problem. But as ericgl has stated, you can wire the rears out-of-phase, or more commonly - reverse the positions of the left and right designated speakers. This way facing drivers are in phase and the imaging will be proper.

Ed

· Registered
175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekb /forum/post/0

There is no cancellation problem. But as ericgl has stated, you can wire the rears out-of-phase, or more commonly - reverse the positions of the left and right designated speakers. This way facing drivers are in phase and the imaging will be proper.

Ed

Thanks for the info ericgl and Ed. I did not know that reversing the + and - was something that was done in practice. Since the seating is against the back wall I had not planned on going 7.1. If I do and use dipoles I will keep that in mind. I have some 60s speakers (small wall mountable uniQ) that I can play around with for rears if I find good dipoles for sides.

Tom

· Registered
1,533 Posts
I would not touch any surrounds unless they were bipoles. Monopoles are too localizable. "Hi, I'm a 747 and I will now fly over your left shoulder, coming in from the 8 o'clock position EXACTLY."

I have had monopoles over 8ft from my head and they just call out to me, even set at -3db reference to front channels. I have never been distracted in a commercial theater because although they use monopoles too, they have so many of them. Bipoles, even without ideal wall setup for them to reflect off of, do a far better job of imitating theaters. Dipoles have a "in your head" sound that is weird. My Totem Lynx are bi/di switchable.

· Registered
686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpoz /forum/post/0

I went from a 5.1 setup to a 7.1 one setup and kept my old Boston Acoustics as rears. My question is are bipolar or dipolars bad for rear surrounds? One of the reasons I am asking is because I was listening to Top Gun in DTS EX and in one scene there were some voices in the rear surrounds and they were garbled and not clear, not sure if it was the speakers or just the movie.

Hmmmm. A 2.0 master upmixed to 7.1 and is 20 years old?

Pass judgement on a more recent movie.

· Registered
17,407 Posts
As another poster mentioned, bipolar rear surrounds are less localizable (is that a word?).

But don't forget that you are likely better off getting speakers that are identical in all 7 positions which generally means that you wouldn't be using bipolars.

· Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herc /forum/post/0

Hmmmm. A 2.0 master upmixed to 7.1 and is 20 years old?

Pass judgement on a more recent movie.

I found that out last night after trying all of the diff combos. I finally hooked up some other speakers and they were te same.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.