AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for inexpensive speaker cables for bi wiring from a Dreadnaught to Vandersteen Sig. 3A's. I know there is great controversy over bi wiring and also how much to pay for cables.

Comments about particular ones to avoid are as valuable as ones to recommend. The lower end price range to me is around $300 or less.

If someone has a "to die for" "must have" cable for this combination over that price, I would love to hear about it anyway.

·
Registered
5,910 Posts
12ga cable? Not much better you can do...

Sorry, had to toss in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
If you were able to prove to yourself that biwiring had no effect, would you still keep them?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Rick,

I'd first recommend you try a cheap cable to see if biwiring helps in your setup. If you can hear a difference then you may want to spring for something in you price range. I've had speaker and amp combinations that sounded better with a biwire configuration and others that have not. Hope it helps.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus
12ga cable? Not much better you can do...

Sorry, had to toss in my opinion. :)
Agreed. I've bi-wired my Vandersteen 2cs with 12 guage speaker wire from Home Depot. Roll of 250 feet was about $65. Hard to beat that!

htomei

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all. I currently do have 12 ga. Parts Express bi wire set up. I don't feel like trying to second guess people who design speakers and are really passionate about what they do. I would just like to get something that looks better than what I have, is not an obvious step backward in performance, and is not very expensive.

Can someone point me to some decent speaker spades for the Vanersteen 3a?

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
so put some kind of covering on it...spades you can find at partsexpress

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the 'leads' on articles. As for the spades, PE doesn't give dimensions to know if they will fit. It would be nice if there were standards for post sizes, overall widths, thickness, mat'ls, etc.

·
Registered
15,246 Posts
call or email them...no there aren't any standards.

·
Premium Member
3,832 Posts
Also get some Techflex mesh tubing and heat shrink with your order. This will increase the visual appeal...

One thing to do is to replace the metal bridging clips on the speaker with a small run of speaker wire (if you choose not to biwire).

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'm surprised nobody mentioned Canare 4S8 or 4S11. It is 4 conductor internally braided. The 4S11 is .69/ft, the 4S8 is cheaper still. Create a shotgun cable (2 cables, or 8 condutors per side) covered in green techflex with heat shrink as suggested above, and you'll have people looking at your cables before listening wondering about the garden hose. Seriously, it is good stuff.

If it looks good it must sound good, right?

Available at Markertec , a pro supplier for the AV industry.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.