AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have two identical center channel speakers, what would be the disadvantages to using two bi-wired center channels? When I hook up two, the center channel seems MUCH more pronounced, the dialog is WAY more audible. (my speakers do not have dual binding posts btw) Is there any problem with doing this?

·
Registered
30,710 Posts
1. There is no disadvantage to using bi-wired center channels over using 2 center channels. The damage is already done. ;-)

2. If you do not have 4 binding posts on each speaker, you cannot biwire those speakers.

·
Registered
875 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/12997378

If you have two identical center channel speakers...

Not again...

EDIT:

I just realized, that wasn't very helpful.... or friendly.... or both, actually.

I think you are not using the term "bi-wire" correctly. Would you like to post a schematic or a more detailed description of what exactly you are trying to do?

- Val

·
Registered
1,236 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/0

If you have two identical center channel speakers, what would be the disadvantages to using two bi-wired center channels? When I hook up two, the center channel seems MUCH more pronounced, the dialog is WAY more audible. (my speakers do not have dual binding posts btw) Is there any problem with doing this?

I'm not quite sure what you're proposing either...but the fact that you're talking about using two centers suggests that you're headed down the wrong road. Or at the very least, they you're heading away from conventional wisdom.

Paging sivadselim....sivadselim to the speaker forum for the "canned" write-up on dual centers please...

He should be right along.

But seriously...as Val asked, what are you trying to accomplish? There might be a better solution once the problem is a little clearer.

Scott

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just wanted to know if it would ruin my soundstage or degrade my sound quality by hooking up dual center channels. I would have two wires coming from my center channel binding posts on my receiver, one for each center channel.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/13005141

I just wanted to know if it would ruin my soundstage or degrade my sound quality by hooking up dual center channels.

Yes. This has been proposed and discussed more than a dozen times here on AVS.

Quote:
I would have two wires coming from my center channel binding posts on my receiver, one for each center channel.

You need two wires (+ and -) for each speaker, not one for each.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssteel01 /forum/post/13000778

Paging sivadselim....sivadselim to the speaker forum for the "canned" write-up on dual centers please...

Ummm.............. huh............ what? Forgive me I just awoke from a huge drunk. Now, where are my pants?

·
Banned
3,453 Posts
Been there, argued that, etc. and so on. Just try it, and if it sounds better to you, then stay with it. If you want to know WHY it shouldn't sound better stick around, and someone will explain it!

·
Premium Member
5,900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/13005309

Ummm.............. huh............ what? Forgive me I just awoke from a huge drunk. Now, where are my pants?

Do you realize your name backwards is "John Coltrane??"

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridapoolboy /forum/post/13005338

Been there, argued that, etc. and so on. Just try it, and if it sounds better to you, then stay with it. If you want to know WHY it shouldn't sound better stick around, and someone will explain it!

That's what I'm waitin for!
Wanna hear the pluses and minuses.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blake18 /forum/post/13005428

That's what I'm waitin for!
Wanna hear the pluses and minuses.

Well, sivadselim will probably post his summary of the issue which is already posted many times. If not, try searching for the topic. It's there.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/13005479

Well, sivadselim will probably post his summary of the issue which is already posted many times. If not, try searching for the topic. It's there.

Ah, I see - I did try searching before posting this thread but I couldn't find much - sorry.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/13005479

Well, sivadselim will probably post his summary of the issue which is already posted many times.

Not much to say here except don't use two center channel speakers. Using two centers creates unwanted acoustic anomalies (how's that for catch-all?). You use one speaker for every other channel, so should you with the center.

And, as pointed out, what you're describing is not bi-wiring. Connecting two centers to two amp channels of the receiver in parallel presents the combined impedance of both centers to the amps.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
If you're not happy with your current center, then just drop it and use the phantom center setting on your equipment.

It will sound much better than a crappy sounding center or trying to do something silly.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/13005707

Not much to say here except don't use two center channel speakers. Using two centers creates unwanted acoustic anomalies (how's that for catch-all?). You use one speaker for every other channel, so should you with the center.

Ok, if you won't do it, I will quickly.

When any two speakers reproduce the same signals, the summed radiation pattern is irregular and eccentric in the plane of their displacement. So, two centers placed side by side will result in a less even sound and integrate less well with the L and R speakers.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/13005877

Ok, if you won't do it, I will quickly.

When any two speakers reproduce the same signals, the summed radiation pattern is irregular and eccentric in the plane of their displacement. So, two centers placed side by side will result in a less even sound and integrate less well with the L and R speakers.

Crap, you left an opening for the question about vertical placement that is coming next.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 /forum/post/13005863

If you're not happy with your current center, then just drop it and use the phantom center setting on your equipment.

It will sound much better than a crappy sounding center or trying to do something silly.

This is pretty good advice provided your center channel speaker is truly that inferior to your fronts and you have tried everything else to get it to sound better; i.e. mainly correct calibration and optimum (or better) room placement. Placing it in or on a shelf and/or near the floor is going to affect its sound detrimentally.

·
Registered
30,710 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/13005892

Crap, you left an opening for the question about vertical placement that is coming next.

It's my didactic tool. I always try to leave my students with a need to ask more.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/13005913

This is pretty good advice provided your center channel speaker is truly that inferior to your fronts and you have tried everything else to get it to sound better; i.e. mainly correct calibration and optimum (or better) room placement. Placing it in or on a shelf and/or near the floor is going to affect its sound detrimentally.

Then what should I place the center channel on? I love my center, no way do I want a phantom center channel. (all I wanted to know was if bi-amping them was a bad idea, and it turns out it's a horrible idea)

·
Registered
42 Posts

.......When I hook up two, the center channel seems MUCH more pronounced, the dialog is WAY more audible. /QUOTE]

I did that.

worked great...same as you.

i switched it back , and my family asked me "what's wrong with the sound?"

so now i live with two center channels...not much you can do except live with the better sound...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts