AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got myself a set of Energy RC-30 floor speakers... and i love them!!

I plan to connect them to my Pioneer Elite VSX 84TXI.

Should I bother bi-wring?

If yes, I am using the 2nd zone to power my bedroom (and bathroom in series, not sure why its been done that way but I bought the house that way).

So... can I bi-wire with rear speaker, i am only running 2 floor sepakers for now.

btw, what do you guys think of my RC-30s?

Dave

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Bi wiring offers no technical benefit. You are just increasing the amount of wire used. Just buy a thicker (lower gauge) wire and you will get the same results.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts
I think you are asking about bi-amping, not bi-wiring.

If you are using the surround rear amps for Zone2, then you obviously cannot also use them to bi-amp your speakers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15574856

I think you are asking about bi-amping, not bi-wiring.

If you are using the surround rear amps for Zone2, then you obviously cannot also use them to bi-amp your speakers.

...so can i bi-wire then? is it even worth it?

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david514 /forum/post/15617393

...so can i bi-wire then? is it even worth it?

Sure. You can. Most people here would say that it provides NO benefit other than increasing the amount of wire going to the speaker, which is not really a benefit if your wire is already of sufficient gauge. Still, people continue to bi-wire speakers. And respected manufacturers include bi-wireable terminals and recommend bi-wiring as a means to improve performance. Try it if you'd like. But be very careful and objective with (and even skeptical of) any conclusions you come to. It is difficult to make the comparison correctly, which would be blindly and with the monowired speakers wired with a comparable gauge of wire. And preferably with the ability to A/B quickly.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15617594

And respected manufacturers include bi-wireable terminals

Sure. It allows them to seel to both the superstitious and non-superstitious, not just the latter.

Quote:
and recommend bi-wiring as a means to improve performance.

The respected manufacturers don't.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee (QSC) /forum/post/15622906

Sure. It allows them to seel to both the superstitious and non-superstitious, not just the latter.

Actually the terminals are put there for bi-amping (real and useful) but can be used for (the superstitious) bi-wiring.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
I noticed a difference once by adding more copper once... But that's because I had a 50' run... originally with 20 gauge wire.
There was a small but audible improvement by going to 14 gauge wire. As anyone will tell you, 20 gauge wire is woefully inadequate at those lengths.

The rule of thumb here is just use 12 gauge and you'll be fine, although you can use thinner stuff for short runs. Now, if you have a somewhat longish run and only have say 16 gauge wire on hand, biwiring will serve to increase the amount of copper going to speakers, but that's all it's doing, nothing else magical.

Bi-amping is a completely different kettle of fish however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/15623176

Actually the terminals are put there for bi-amping (real and useful) but can be used for (the superstitious) bi-wiring.

Yeah, but that's not what the other poster said. He said that some manufacturers might recommend bi-wiring. As Bob said, any respectable manufacturer should not recommend bi-wiring.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:

Whether bi-amping is even "real and useful" is certainly arguable. Of course, it would be expected to be more likely to provide a benefit than bi-wiring. And, yes, it is true that, IF passive bi-amping does provide a benefit, that that is probably the primary reason why the dual binding posts are there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lee (QSC) /forum/post/15622906

Sure they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy /forum/post/15623235

As Bob said, any respectable manufacturer should not recommend bi-wiring.

Maybe they shouldn't. But they do. Some very respected companies recommend it. Vandersteen, B&W, KEF, Dali, etc.. I just do not believe that manufacturers recommend bi-wiring their speakers to simply satisfy their "superstitious" customers. Do I bi-wire my bi-wireable speakers? No. But that is not necessarily because I am convinced that it can't make a difference.

It should be pointed out that passive bi-amping is also bi-wiring.

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:

I'd readily accept that argument if the entire crossover was removable/bypassable for this.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/15624191

I'd readily accept that argument if the entire crossover was removable/bypassable for this.

Do you still bi-wire your speakers, Kal?

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15624226

Do you still bi-wire your speakers, Kal?

Of course but, then again, I do that only for the benefit of my readers.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/15624272

Of course but, then again, I do that only for the benefit of my readers.

Riiiiight.

I suspect that almost everyone who owns your speakers (or similar B&Ws), if they're not already passively bi-amping them, is bi-wiring them. Nothing to be ashamed of.

·
Registered
1,863 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15623364

Sure they do.

I guess it depends on who's doing the respecting and for what.

To me, a manufacturer that recommends bi-wiring is actually saying, "We don't know how this stuff works."

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/15624351

Riiiiight.

I suspect that almost everyone who owns your speakers (or similar B&Ws), if they're not already passively bi-amping them, is bi-wiring them. Nothing to be ashamed of.

Actually, I have tried bi-amping and bi-wiring with these and other speakers but have not found any audible reasons to continue to do so. I generally do bi-wire because (1) most of the wires I have are biwire sets and (2) I avoid receiving emails from readers who tell me that a speaker under review would sound better with bi-wiring.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/15632314

(2) I avoid receiving emails from readers who tell me that a speaker under review would sound better with bi-wiring.

Or a manufacturer rebuttal?

·
Registered
8,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson /forum/post/15632314

Actually, I have tried bi-amping and bi-wiring with these and other speakers but have not found any audible reasons to continue to do so. I generally do bi-wire because (1) most of the wires I have are biwire sets and (2) I avoid receiving emails from readers who tell me that a speaker under review would sound better with bi-wiring.

OffT: Kal, I read your review of the B&W 802D's (bi-wired of course to stay on topic). Did you decide to buy them after you reviewed them?

I'm (im)patiently waiting on my 802D's to be delivered.

OnT: Even though I preach against bi-wiring my mains (803D's right now) are actualy bi-wired.
I had extra wire and banana plugs so it was a cause of use it lose it.

·
Registered
16,944 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneten /forum/post/15633063

Super string computational super-imposition. .

spaghetti?

·
Registered
30,799 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/15633080

OffT: Kal, I read your review of the B&W 802D's (bi-wired of course to stay on topic). Did you decide to buy them after you reviewed them?

Could not let them go. And they have gotten better with the newer amps.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts