AVS Forum banner

881 - 895 of 895 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Thanks for your input; I take it, then, you couldn't recommend a Sony OLED because you don't have direct experience with one?

I'm just wondering if one brand is better than the other when it comes to the OLEDs.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Being that only Sony and LG offer OLEDs (in the States anyway; I know Panasonic offers them in other regions), which would you recommend if I were to look to an OLED for our next display? Which brand does it better, so to speak, or are they about the same, being that I read LG makes the OLED panels for Sony?

Correct, both use the same panels sourced from LGD (display). LGE (electronics) sells the TVs.

Vizio also offers an OLED now using the same panels. They are new to the game and still working out the kinks.

Sony and LG both make great OLEDs. The Sony has a slight edge in the processing department favoring TV/Movie viewing whereas the LG has a slight edge for gaming (more 2.1 ports, etc.). Sony charges a premium for their sets, so it comes down to you and your preferences and if you think they are worth the extra money.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Thanks for your input; I take it, then, you couldn't recommend a Sony OLED because you don't have direct experience with one?

I'm just wondering if one brand is better than the other when it comes to the OLEDs.
That is correct. Sony makes fine tv's. We had an old XBR CRT that was fantastic but we went with LG because of our experience with LG HDTV STB we used with the Sony HDTV and eventually the LG when we upgraded from the Sony. I won't get into which one is better because everyone has an opinion. I would go to your local BB or where ever and "interview" them side by side if possible, at the size you want and the distance to your viewing position, and see what looks best to you. Only you can decide which one is better.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Correct, both use the same panels sourced from LGD (display). LGE (electronics) sells the TVs.

Vizio also offers an OLED now using the same panels. They are new to the game and still working out the kinks.

Sony and LG both make great OLEDs. The Sony has a slight edge in the processing department favoring TV/Movie viewing whereas the LG has a slight edge for gaming (more 2.1 ports, etc.). Sony charges a premium for their sets, so it comes down to you and your preferences and if you think they are worth the extra money.
Thanks very much for your honest sentiments here; it would be for cinematic viewing in a dark room, signals coming from a Panasonic UB9000 UHD Blu-ray player (DVDs/Blu-rays/UHD Blu-rays), so maybe the Sony is the better buy?

I'm somewhat leery about going with Vizio; isn't that the brand that only offers an app in order to make picture adjustments (i.e. you can't make them in the display itself)?

·
Registered
818 Posts
That is correct. Sony makes fine tv's. We had an old XBR CRT that was fantastic but we went with LG because of our experience with LG HDTV STB we used with the Sony HDTV and eventually the LG when we upgraded from the Sony. I won't get into which one is better because everyone has an opinion. I would go to your local BB or where ever and "interview" them side by side if possible, at the size you want and the distance to your viewing position, and see what looks best to you. Only you can decide which one is better.
Thanks.

Was only asking if you had an opinion, one way or the other, regarding which would be "better" or if one had better PQ over the other. I realize a lot of this is subjective.

Our first HDTV, a 1080p Sony SXRD rear projection display, lasted us well over a decade with HEAVY daily use, and we only went through like two replacement lamps in all that time. Just before we got our Samsung 4K display, the Sony began to show the infamous SXRD yellow staining, indicating the optical unit was going -- but we couldn't complain because, again, it served us for many years. Based on this alone, I'd get another Sony -- but what turns me off about their new 4K panels is how confusing they seem to be with regard to menu structure (something I can't stand about the Panasonic UHD Blu-ray players, and I own the UB9000, so I know, firsthand, how complex their menu systems can be). From the myriad of available picture modes (is Custom the best, or Cinema?) to the available sub-settings in these modes (Reality Creation, Xtended Dynamic Range, etc.), it seems like they're a pain in the arse to set up.

In reflection, Samsung's menus make it pretty easy -- there are only four picture presets to choose from unless you unlock the CAL-DAY/CAL-NIGHT modes from the service menu (Dynamic/Standard/Natural/Movie), and in those menus there aren't a bevvy of other things to adjust (mainly typical contrast/brightness/backlight/color/noise reduction/local dimming et al).

I just like it simpler with that stuff; seems like the LGs are just as complex, menu-wise...:eek::oops:o_O

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Thanks very much for your honest sentiments here; it would be for cinematic viewing in a dark room, signals coming from a Panasonic UB9000 UHD Blu-ray player (DVDs/Blu-rays/UHD Blu-rays), so maybe the Sony is the better buy?

I'm somewhat leery about going with Vizio; isn't that the brand that only offers an app in order to make picture adjustments (i.e. you can't make them in the display itself)?
Nah. Remote and/or app on current Visio TVs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Thanks.

Was only asking if you had an opinion, one way or the other, regarding which would be "better" or if one had better PQ over the other. I realize a lot of this is subjective.

Our first HDTV, a 1080p Sony SXRD rear projection display, lasted us well over a decade with HEAVY daily use, and we only went through like two replacement lamps in all that time. Just before we got our Samsung 4K display, the Sony began to show the infamous SXRD yellow staining, indicating the optical unit was going -- but we couldn't complain because, again, it served us for many years. Based on this alone, I'd get another Sony -- but what turns me off about their new 4K panels is how confusing they seem to be with regard to menu structure (something I can't stand about the Panasonic UHD Blu-ray players, and I own the UB9000, so I know, firsthand, how complex their menu systems can be). From the myriad of available picture modes (is Custom the best, or Cinema?) to the available sub-settings in these modes (Reality Creation, Xtended Dynamic Range, etc.), it seems like they're a pain in the arse to set up.

In reflection, Samsung's menus make it pretty easy -- there are only four picture presets to choose from unless you unlock the CAL-DAY/CAL-NIGHT modes from the service menu (Dynamic/Standard/Natural/Movie), and in those menus there aren't a bevvy of other things to adjust (mainly typical contrast/brightness/backlight/color/noise reduction/local dimming et al).

I just like it simpler with that stuff; seems like the LGs are just as complex, menu-wise...:eek::oops:o_O
Yeah, I have no first hand knowledge of the Sony OLEDs so it's best that I do not comment or voice an opinion. I never found the menus that cumbersome in either of my LG's. It seemed fairly straightforward. As far as the SM goes, that is a no-man's land that one should never venture into because there really isn't anything in there, to me, that is worth the possibility of bricking the tv.

I do have a Samsung HD tv in the bedroom (and garage) and felt that the presets were no more complicated than the LG C8, only there's more options to choose from with the C8 ;) .

·
Registered
818 Posts
Yeah, I have no first hand knowledge of the Sony OLEDs so it's best that I do not comment or voice an opinion.
I am not going to judge you one way or the other, LOL; I just wanted to know if, being that it's being suggested that the Sonys may be better for dark room film watching and that's what we view, they were the wise way to go.

I never found the menus that cumbersome in either of my LG's. It seemed fairly straightforward.
I was referring to the setup menus of the current SONYs. They seem daunting.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I am not going to judge you one way or the other, LOL; I just wanted to know if, being that it's being suggested that the Sonys may be better for dark room film watching and that's what we view, they were the wise way to go.

I was referring to the setup menus of the current SONYs. They seem daunting.
Wish I could help you with the Sony but I can't. Maybe "review" them and the LG at your local BB? I know showroom viewing is probably the worst place to evaluate a panel but maybe Magnolia has some setup specially in a viewing room.

I know the C8 seemed a bit more than I was used to but I just started off with the recommended basic settings (no CMS settings) from Rtings and took it from there. I did make all kinds of notes on what the default settings were and just kept updating them until I got what I liked. It did take about a week and my wife wondered what happened to me but it was worth the work. Now, if there is an update I can always go back and check the settings to see if anything was changed or needs tweaking. Still haven't had the C8 calibrated and I may never. It's an adventure! ;)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I installed the luminoodle True White on my 2020 TCL 6 series 65" tv yesterday and it installed very well. The hardest thing was starting the peel on the red backing of the 3M adhesive. After that it was smooth going. Anyway, started watching the Kong vs Godzilla movie with the bias lighting on. First off the lighting looks really neat and even and smooth and just very pleasant. I honestly can't say I like it better than without though as far as PQ goes. I have to watch some more content. I wasn't too impressed with the stream of GvK though. This is on HBOMax of course.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
I installed the luminoodle True White on my 2020 TCL 6 series 65" tv yesterday and it installed very well. The hardest thing was starting the peel on the red backing of the 3M adhesive. After that it was smooth going. Anyway, started watching the Kong vs Godzilla movie with the bias lighting on. First off the lighting looks really neat and even and smooth and just very pleasant. I honestly can't say I like it better than without though as far as PQ goes. I have to watch some more content. I wasn't too impressed with the stream of GvK though. This is on HBOMax of course.
I use the MediaLight bias light. Calibrated to 6500k with a CRI of >90. I think the newer ones have a CRI of >95.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I use the MediaLight bias light. Calibrated to 6500k with a CRI of >90. I think the newer ones have a CRI of >95.
Yes the MediaLight has a much higher CRI than Luminoodle, it's also over $60 more for the equivalent size I need. I didn't feel I had any issue with color representation with KvG. Anyway, I did watch a couple episodes of Beartown last night with the bias lighting and I did feel it was beneficial. The PQ was striking and I don't even think it's 4K or HDR. I also felt it was easier on the eyes. Maybe down the road I'll upgrade to the MediaLight bias lighting but it feels unnecessary at this point.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Yes the MediaLight has a much higher CRI than Luminoodle, it's also over $60 more for the equivalent size I need. I didn't feel I had any issue with color representation with KvG. Anyway, I did watch a couple episodes of Beartown last night with the bias lighting and I did feel it was beneficial. The PQ was striking and I don't even think it's 4K or HDR. I also felt it was easier on the eyes. Maybe down the road I'll upgrade to the MediaLight bias lighting but it feels unnecessary at this point.
What really matters is if you get the desired effect regardless of who makes the bias light.

881 - 895 of 895 Posts