AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have posted many times that I have a floating black issue on my Panasonic plasma. I have managed to solve the problem for the most part by running my set in Standard with a high Picture and low Brightness (nothing clipped or crushed TOO much).

I did notice that if I use the dimmers in my living room (those blue 6500K lights) that my blacks look much darker and that I don't notice it too much. Is this bias lighting?

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
Strictly speaking bias lighting is a light that illuminates the area behind the display.

It improves the perceptual contrast because it creates put more light in the viewing area, causing your iris to close down, thus making blacks look darker.

Any ambient light in the room can do the same thing, but if the ambient light is shining on the screen it will tend to wash minimize the effect.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts

Quote:
...if the ambient light is shining on the screen it will tend to wash minimize the effect.

Any room lighting that is in front of the screen can interfere with the image on the screen in varying degrees. This depends upon the type of lighting, point of origin, brightness, color, etc., as well as type of display design. Anti-glare screen treatments can reduce the effect by diffusing the reflection, but will not completely eliminate the interference: http://cinemaquestinc.com/ive.htm . I don't know of any display type that will not produce a cleaner image by darkening the room.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts