AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I will be upgrading my L and R (right now Polk RT 400 one which sounds blown, ugh) as well as my Center Channel (Polk CS1). I am looking at these two speakers for a replacement for all three. My question is, which is the better speaker? The low end isn't a factor, because I have a BIC F12 (fantastic sub).

BIC America FH6-LCR Dual 6.5-Inch 175-Watt LCR Speaker with Mid/High Frequency Horn

vs

BIC America DV-62CLRS 6-Inch 2-Way Center Channel Speaker

I am open to other speaker suggestions, but keep in mind I would like to stay around that price range, plus they need to be available on Amazon. I have some credit on amazon, plus with the Store Card right now orders over 149 are interest free for 6 months!

I also wanted to mention that the speakers will be driven by a Denon AVR 591

Thanks!!!

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
Technically, the FH6 and DV62 are the "same speaker".

The FH is horn loaded(and more efficient because of that), but the DV is more "even" in its sound...again, because of the "lack" of a horn.

What I would do...

Buy 1 of each(since you are going to end up with 3 of whatever) and do your own A/B to see if you'll like the horn.

Look in Warehouse Deals for either BIC. I've never bought AV equipment from Amazon, so at worst they will have a re-stocking charge...which will be lessened if you can catch either as a Warehouse Deal.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 /forum/post/20825834

Technically, the FH6 and DV62 are the "same speaker".

The FH is horn loaded(and more efficient because of that), but the DV is more "even" in its sound...again, because of the "lack" of a horn.

What I would do...

Buy 1 of each(since you are going to end up with 3 of whatever) and do your own A/B to see if you'll like the horn.

Look in Warehouse Deals for either BIC. I've never bought AV equipment from Amazon, so at worst they will have a re-stocking charge...which will be lessened if you can catch either as a Warehouse Deal.

I was thinking of doing that, but I would hate pay a restocking fee. I've heard the horn on the bic is more balanced than most brands, so i think im going to get it and test the waters. I'm very intrigued to hear the sound of the horn. I'm not ready to pull the trigger yet, because I really want some more feed back here. Ugh, having options is a pain sometimes!

·
Registered
501 Posts
I really don't know why the lack of a horn is going to make one speaker smoother than another. Horns are capable of very smooth sound if that is their engineering intent and they are not intrinsically one or the other except by intent. Neither are they necessarily more efficient if the driver is less so to begin with. They can be much less efficient off axis and only you can decide that as determined how they are to be used, the same with any speaker. Horns have the potential for increasing efficiency for the driver to be use and directional control. No more, no less. How they affect the sound is determined by the shape and material of the horn itself and generalizing is not fruitful.

I have a pair of older ARs with horns and they are dry, smooth with very good long term listening characteristics. I think it's false that you can listen with your eyes. Only your ears or a frequency test sweep in the environment you plan to use them can tell you what to expect, horn or not.

Don't give a horn design one thought over another. Just make sure you have a return policy after listening to they or any speaker in it's home environment. That's nearly half your sound regardless.

Buy a speaker on line w/o a return policy and you'll be writing back here again expecting someone else ears to do your listening for you. That's a long term strategy for speaker dissatisfaction.

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
I was speaking THIS SPEAKER in general.

I have a pair of V62(from back when BIC speakers were made in the US, not shipped in from China). Back then, BIC also had a horn version of the speaker(no, I don't remember the model number).

The horn-loaded BIC is not as "even"(as in if you read how I meant the "even") in how is spreads sound across the room. Horn is directional...hence not EVEN SPREAD.

So, do you want want the sound "on top of you"? Or spread around the room?

·
Registered
3 Posts
same dilema

I'm debating between the DV-62CLRS and the FH6-LCR for a center channel as well. I've got a 16' long x 12' wide living room, and planning on putting in 4x Msrpro6 in a vaulted ceiling and aiming the tweeters down for the surround sound. One couch is going to be facing the TV and the other is going to be perpendicular across the 16' wall.

Which would be the better center channel? I'm leaning towards the FH6-LCR so I can mount it, but I'm hesitant because I've heard its non-linear and the horns are directional.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.