AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm fairly new to this forum and home theater in general however, I am looking into purchasing some nice speakers for my setup. As of current, i have 2 sony SSB3000's with a 10' Yamaha subwoofer for my music. This system works great, however, its not very powerful. My music gets loud, but you can hear the sub working and rattling at high volumes. Its 100watt dynamic so i can assume this is why.

Either way, i want speakers that are generally good in quality, but my budget is very tight. The setup i have now satisfies me, however when having people over or for small parties, its just not doing it.

The D84's have 2 8inch subs and 2 radiatiors so i can assume they are pretty loud and good bass, however the RTR 1530's have 15' subs.

So my question is this:

For quality and loudness combined which would be the better choice in speaker?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In terms of db's it's at +3DB's (i think)?, its on a low pass filter however, usually set at 6/10 volume..if that helps haha.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseFire911 /forum/post/0

In terms of db's it's at +3DB's (i think)?, its on a low pass filter however, usually set at 6/10 volume..if that helps haha.

Yes for music you just need down to 40hz IMO... The dv84's will have more bass granted but it has been said the dv64's still have plenty of bass and sound a bit tighter

What receiver do you have?

I asked the volume cause those sub amps aren't meant for at their peak I generally keep my subwoofer amp at 45-50% and then boost the subwoofer level on the receiver if I need more bass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, I am huge basshead, i listen to a lot of electro/house and the problem is i have a very tight budget for this. My sub gets pretty loud for my room (10x12) but if i want to have a basement party it just wont fill up nearly as much. Im thinking the dv 84's will do a good job at that, i have also heard the 64's do a nice job as well. should i purchase the 64's and then maybe upgrade my sub to a n F12 or something? or will the 84's rid my need for a powered sub. assuming it will be more powerful than my yamaha which im sure they will be.

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImpulseFire911 /forum/post/0

Right, I am huge basshead, i listen to a lot of electro/house and the problem is i have a very tight budget for this. My sub gets pretty loud for my room (10x12) but if i want to have a basement party it just wont fill up nearly as much. Im thinking the dv 84's will do a good job at that, i have also heard the 64's do a nice job as well. should i purchase the 64's and then maybe upgrade my sub to a n F12 or something? or will the 84's rid my need for a powered sub. assuming it will be more powerful than my yamaha which im sure they will be.

What are you using for an amp or receiver? The dv84's mint be up your alley. The Bic f12 isn't very musical subwoofer

Start with the Bic dv84's if you really want to make sure you have enough bass

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh my receiver is an Insignia IS-HCO40918

Its the newest or most feature packed but it delivers nice performance for 100w a channel.

and the 84's will probably be what i will be purchasing

1 - 8 of 8 Posts