AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found out that my BIC America VK-12 has a broken amplifier (blowing fuses). I have two repair options: send in +$100, or purchase replacement amp for $125.

Is it worth it to do the repair, or would I be better served buying an entirely new subwoofer? Any perspective would be helpful.

I'd also be willing to sell it as is.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
Just found out that my BIC America VK-12 has a broken amplifier (blowing fuses). I have two repair options: send in +$100, or purchase replacement amp for $125.

Is it worth it to do the repair, or would I be better served buying an entirely new subwoofer? Any perspective would be helpful.

I'd also be willing to sell it as is.
It depends on what your comfortable budgeting for a replacement sub. If it's not much more than what you bought your existing one for and you know the condition and sound quality of yours the $100 or so might be worth fixing it to you. Most would probably say don't fix it and put that money towards a new one but what new one and how much is the question and probably your answer as well. Not sure what selling it "as is" would get you but probably not much. I have dual BIC PL-200's I'm selling locally in Texas for about $250 a piece both bought within the last year if that gives you some kind of a baseline. Sorry it went out on you but I hope I was able to be of some help to you.

-Tom

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
No, it's not worth fixing. Budget subwoofers are essentially a one-and-done prospect, and by that I mean if something goes wrong and it costs you money to fix (not under warranty) rarely is it wise to do the repair. It's probably time to consider alternatives.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It depends on what your comfortable budgeting for a replacement sub. If it's not much more than what you bought your existing one for and you know the condition and sound quality of yours the $100 or so might be worth fixing it to you. Most would probably say don't fix it and put that money towards a new one but what new one and how much is the question and probably your answer as well. Not sure what selling it "as is" would get you but probably not much. I have dual BIC PL-200's I'm selling locally in Texas for about $250 a piece both bought within the last year if that gives you some kind of a baseline. Sorry it went out on you but I hope I was able to be of some help to you.

-Tom
No, it's not worth fixing. Budget subwoofers are essentially a one-and-done prospect, and by that I mean if something goes wrong and it costs you money to fix (not under warranty) rarely is it wise to do the repair. It's probably time to consider alternatives.
Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. I figured this was the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
VK-12, JBLE ES250p

Anyone have any thoughts on the JBL ES250p as a replacement for $180? Its on sale on JBL.com

·
Writer & Reviewer
8,894 Posts
They seem more similar than dissimilar, so that's probably a pick-em between those two. I haven't heard either though, so I can't say with certainty. I know HTS just reviewed the ES150P, the 250's little brother, so it might be worth reading this. That should give you some indication of what to expect from the 250.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They seem more similar than dissimilar, so that's probably a pick-em between those two. I haven't heard either though, so I can't say with certainty. I know HTS just reviewed the ES150P, the 250's little brother, so it might be worth reading this. That should give you some indication of what to expect from the 250.
Thanks Jim. Very helpful.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts