AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been asked before, but I'm look for more opinions specific to my case.

I'm looking at subwoofers around the $200 range, and the PSW505 and F12 really stand out as the best bang for the buck for me. I know there are much better subs out there for more, but my budget is really very tight. I can't spend more than this.

Now the details:

My main listening area is going to be my room. Very small, about 12x10.

I listen to about 90% music 10% movies.

My music preferences include rock, rap, and electronic. About equal portions of each.

I probably won't turn my music up past half volume very often. I might occasionally bring my setup to the livingroom if I have people over at which point I'd have it turned up louder.

My main speakers, though I love them, are fairly small don't go very low. I'll probably end up setting my crossover point at around 70Hz.

Now, I know the general consensus is that Polk subs are pretty crummy, but the 505 is supposed to be the exception to this rule. I also know that some people tend to discount the 505 because it doesn't have much output below 30Hz. I'm not a pipe organ fan though, and I can't think of any songs I have that actually have sound below 30Hz (or below 35Hz for that matter). If I have to sacrifice sub-30Hz output for movies I rarely watch for an a more "musical" sounding speaker and at least equivalant output, that seems fine to me.

I've heard the BIC has trouble when crossed at 80Hz. Is the same true at 70Hz? What about the Polk?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Given what your using them for, go with the 505 it's the more musical of the two.

Even better considering it's just music in a small room look at the entry level outlaw and HSU subs, much better SQ.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at the STF-1 (a bit out of my price range anyway). The issue is that though my setup is usually in a small room, there are times I'll want to use it in elsewhere and sound decently loud.. Louder than the STF-1 will get.

My thinking was that the F-12 is probably a little too oriented at SPL/movies and lacks the ability to sound very "musical" whereas the STF-1 is completely the opposite, aimed at sounding tight and accurate, but without the output I'm looking for, which seems likely considering its an 8 inch woofer with a 150 watt amp. The 505 seemed like a good compromise.

I was hoping people had some first hand experience comparing these two subs, especially concerning crossing them at higher frequencies.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishpoke
Given what your using them for, go with the 505 it's the more musical of the tw.
x2 with musical preference the Polk psw505 for it's price is the cheapest musical sub around

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I would recommend going with the Bic F12. It's capable of sounding just fine with music. It can play lower than the Polk and can handle being played louder without being stressed compared to the Polk because it's a larger subwoofer. A friend of mine is using two Bic F12's and I did the calibration and it sounds good. This is mainly a music system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is why forums are so confusing.. two posts in a row with perfectly conflicting claims.

I've heard tell of artifacts with the F12 when crossing too high (70-80Hz). Can anybody confirm/deny this?

The Allison AL10 has also been pointed out to me and is supposed to be pretty highly regarded.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=309-177

The specs claim a frequency response of 25-180 Hz (-3 dB). I'm just concerned about how loud this will get compared to the BIC or Polk. I'd dare to say it gets lower, but I don't think lowness is an issue as long as it's loud down to 30Hz.

According to some, the F12 has a humped FR around 45Hz whereas the AL10 is pretty linear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Decided to go with the AL-10. For $154 shipped on parts-express and with amazing (albeit sparce) reviews I couldn't pass it up. I'll report back in a week or so when it arrives. High expectations here.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm anxious to see how you like the Allison. IMO it would have been my choice for anything under $200. The build quality reminds me of the STF-2, which I've heard and was impressed with. I think after a few days of tweaking this sub, you might be pleasantly surprised.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.