AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering building a table tuba. From what I have read on the internet it seems to be one heck of a subwoofer. It also seems that it would perform way better than a sub I was going to buy, the Bic F12. There is only one thing that is bothering me. I googled Table tuba and a thread on audioholics that sayed the table tuba was crap popped up. Is this true? It even said any good 8 inch driver in a sealed box would have the same frequency response. Is this true? Here is the thread in question

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=18810

Do any of the statements have merit? This seems to be the only bad press of the table tuba's I can find. I was just wondering if this will destroy the Bic F12 like all the reviews seem to indicate. Thanks. By the way this would be my first subwoofer.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The table tuba and table tht are the same thing right? That is what Bill's website leads me to believe. From what I gather there is the THT (or tuba subwoofer), THT LP, Table tht (table tuba), and long tht (long table tuba).

·
Registered
412 Posts
Total rubbish.

Did he build the box correctly? Leaks?

HPF???

1000w

I wouldn't think the BIC F12 would have any significant output below 30hz.

Use the Dayton 10" Classic if you are worried about using the MCM 8".

The only disadvantage I can see is the size.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuitar93 /forum/post/20899726

The table tuba and table tht are the same thing right? That is what Bill's website leads me to believe. From what I gather there is the THT (or tuba subwoofer), THT LP, Table tht (table tuba), and long tht (long table tuba).

Nope. Totally different sub designs

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuitar93 /forum/post/20899741

So what is the table tuba then?

You are on the right track.

There are only two designs.

They are listed as.

Table Tuba Stereo/HT Subwoofer (30Hz)

Tuba HT Home Theater Subwoofer (22hz)

Both can be built as a long style.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuitar93 /forum/post/20899741

So what is the table tuba then?

The Table Tuba I am familiar with is a horn loaded sub that uses an 8, and does not enclose the back chamber, unless something has changed. It has been a while since I looked at it. I have not built or measured one.

The THT and THT-LP use 12s or 15s and have proper sealed back chambers. I have listened to and measured a THT.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabra /forum/post/20899762

You are on the right track.

There are only two designs.

They are listed as.

Table Tuba Stereo/HT Subwoofer (30Hz)

Tuba HT Home Theater Subwoofer (22hz)

Both can be built as a long style.

Okay thanks for the clarification. So would the table tuba be better than the f12? I can't build the long style tht because I don't have room but could build the long or regular table tuba.

·
Registered
412 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuitar93 /forum/post/20899776

Okay thanks for the clarification. So would the table tuba be better than the f12? I can't build the long style tht because I don't have room but could build the long or regular table tuba.

Build the Table Tuba then. I think it would have tons more output than the BIC.

If you look at the SPL charts on Bills site HERE , there is one with the THT & Table Tuba both corner loaded.

You can see by that that the THT goes lower but the Table Tuba has more output in the 27-35hz & 60-75hz regions.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnyt /forum/post/0

THT output will crush the table tuba output. dont confuse frequency response with output.

I don't have room for a tht. But I could do a table tuba. I just want to know if the table tuba will be better than an f12 and by how much.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGuitar93 /forum/post/20899633

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums...ad.php?t=18810

Do any of the statements have merit? .

I remember this idiot well. He asked what he needed to run his HT setup in a gymnasium sized room. I told him a minimum of two double-wide Table Tubas, loaded with dual 300 watt HL10c drivers each; this was before THT was introduced. He ignored every bit of advice I gave him and insisted on building one single wide, loaded with one 100 watt eight. Then he toasted it using a 1kW amp. He serves as a shining example of the fact that you really can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Fitzmaurice /forum/post/0

I remember this idiot well. He asked what he needed to run his HT setup in a gymnasium sized room. I told him a minimum of two double-wide Table Tubas, loaded with dual 300 watt HL10c drivers each; this was before THT was introduced. He ignored every bit of advice I gave him and insisted on building one single wide, loaded with one 100 watt eight. Then he toasted it using a 1kW amp. He serves as a shining example of the fact that you really can't fix stupid.

Okay thanks. Is the dayton 240 plate amp good enough?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
There's a lack of subwoofer options right now. Soon there will be 18" and 21"? subs from Mach 5. Creative Sound Solutions is bringing their SDX-15 mk2 soon. Eric-h might be bringing a 15 or 18 to the table later in the future.

I guess there's always Dayton, Fi, and Elemental designs.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.