AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everyone is sick to death of "Bic H-100 vs. _____" threads, and I apologize for making yet another, but I was wondering if someone might be kind enough to give me some quick feedback on this subwoofer choice. I'm looking to spend under $300 to upgrade from an old Onkyo HITB powered sub (came with the S570), and for that price range the Bic seems to be the king around here. I was all ready to order it, but nosing around J&R's website at the last minute, I found the JBL Sub12. Now, I'm extremely new to all of this, but comparing the specs, the JBL seems about equal to the Bic -- losing out slightly in frequency response (down to 25Hz vs. the Bic's 24), and at 300 watts RMS vs. 150. However, I found a couple of old threads recommending the Bic over the JBL, but that was when the JBL cost over $400. I realize specs don't tell the whole deal, so what am I missing?

To sum up, which is the better pick between the Bic for $280 and the JBL for $270 (after taxes)? I'd really appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have the jbl venue sub 10 and i love it. it hits hard and i hear things i didn't hear on my old polk psw10. anyhow if you look around online you can probably find both of these subs for well under 300.00. i paid 180.00 for my sub10 on amazon. i have also heard great things about the bic h100 as well. good luck on your decision i'm sure whatever you decide to get you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/9514921

I'm sure everyone is sick to death of "Bic H-100 vs. _____" threads, and I apologize for making yet another, but I was wondering if someone might be kind enough to give me some quick feedback on this subwoofer choice. I'm looking to spend under $300 to upgrade from an old Onkyo HITB powered sub (came with the S570), and for that price range the Bic seems to be the king around here. I was all ready to order it, but nosing around J&R's website at the last minute, I found the JBL Sub12. Now, I'm extremely new to all of this, but comparing the specs, the JBL seems about equal to the Bic -- losing out slightly in frequency response (down to 25Hz vs. the Bic's 24), and at 300 watts RMS vs. 150. However, I found a couple of old threads recommending the Bic over the JBL, but that was when the JBL cost over $400. I realize specs don't tell the whole deal, so what am I missing?

To sum up, which is the better pick between the Bic for $280 and the JBL for $270 (after taxes)? I'd really appreciate the feedback. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'd probably say the Bic. To be honest, I use the Venue line for my small HT setup and I think they're great performers on a low budget. However, the subs aren't all that great, IMO. From what I've heard, the frequency response specs on the JBL subs is sometimes a bit "optimistic" (as in, it will get down to 25hz in a tiny room at 75dB, but nowhere near that low with usable response in a normal sized room). Rumor has it the Bic has strong output all the way down to its listed 24hz spec, and can even get close to 20hz. If you could find the Sub 12 for around $200 out the door, it might be worth getting, but if it's going to cost the same as the Bic, I'd recommend the H-100.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisOneKidMongo /forum/post/9514921

400. I realize specs don't tell the whole deal, so what am I missing?

Why would the JBL be $270? It's $199 with free shipping from J&R. At that price, it might be worth it - the Bic is a better sub, but if you feel like saving money, the Sub 12 might not be bad at under $200 out the door.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
eBay. Although it's probably more like $249 now.

Shipping is $49, and they generally will go as low as $200 in the "best offer" auctions.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/12857924

I'd probably say the Bic. To be honest, I use the Venue line for my small HT setup and I think they're great performers on a low budget. However, the subs aren't all that great, IMO. From what I've heard, the frequency response specs on the JBL subs is sometimes a bit "optimistic" (as in, it will get down to 25hz in a tiny room at 75dB, but nowhere near that low with usable response in a normal sized room). Rumor has it the Bic has strong output all the way down to its listed 24hz spec, and can even get close to 20hz. If you could find the Sub 12 for around $200 out the door, it might be worth getting, but if it's going to cost the same as the Bic, I'd recommend the H-100.

Can you post some pics of both the JBL and the BIC? The pics on the websites are like 200x200 pixels and I can't even make out the finish of each, no less the plate amps and drivers.

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
If you click the link in my sig, you can see mine in the corner, and an okay view of the piano finish.

·
Registered
33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalakersfan34 /forum/post/12858212

Why would the JBL be $270? It's $199 with free shipping from J&R. At that price, it might be worth it - the Bic is a better sub, but if you feel like saving money, the Sub 12 might not be bad at under $200 out the door.

Even better, the JBL Sub12 is $169 shipped at Amazon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.