AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just ordered this Sub-Woofer and I just had a question. My living room where I will be sitting my sub-woofer is wood floor and also the house was built in the 50's so I purchased the Aurelex SuperHD Subwoofer isolator so that it dosent rattle and shake the walls and etc.

I had just purchased it about a few hours ago and now i am here thinking the very reason why I got the H-100 over the others in its price range was due to the reviews of others saying that it has great imaging and that it "blends" in very well with the speakers.

Question is, do you guys think the Aurelex isolator will kill the imaging of the subwoofer? If it does, I might as well cancel the order of aurelex.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Subwoofers don't have "imaging", per se.

For most people, anything below 80hz isn't localized... you can't really tell where the sound comes from... it is 'non-directional'. That's why you can put it anywhere in the room, and you will find that placement is key to getting the most out of your new sub. Congrats, by the way.

'Imaging' is about being able to locate where the sound is coming from, like when you are seated between 2 (stereo) speakers, and you can close your eyes, and it sounds like the vocalist is right in the middle, the drummer is behind him, the keyboardist is to the right, the lead guitar is to the left... maybe comeone shaking the tambourine, coming from the edge of 'where the stage would be'... etc When you get into the lower notes, like what you'd be asking your sub to reproduce, it should sound like it's just there, without a real directionality to the sound.

As long as your speakers can reproduce sound down to 80 hz (or so), you should be fine. Sounds above that tend to be "locate-able". If they only go down to 120 (for example), and you have to cross over the sub there, you would be best suited placing your subwoofer between your front speakers, as centered as possible.

The Aurelex pad may or may not help. As long as you can return it if you don't like it, then try both with and without, to see if it makes a difference to you, in your room. I've never used one, but my HT is in the basement, on carpet over concrete... where it would do nothing. A sub shouldn't transfer energy to the floor directly anyway, but the sound waves it makes may still cause noticeable vibrations in your wood floor, and that pad will do nothing for that.

Wood floors are not great for sound anyway, so a nice thick area rug (between you and the speakers) would probably help more.

IMO, and YMMV

Joseph

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323  /t/1470777/bic-h-100#post_23264687

Question is, do you guys think the Aurelex isolator will kill the imaging of the subwoofer? If it does, I might as well cancel the order of aurelex.
Subwoofers don't image, that takes place from about 500Hz and up, but cancel the Auralex anyway, they won't do anything that rubber feet don't already do. Shaking of the walls ect. is 100% sourced by the long wavelengths coning from the sub. A carpet in the room is still a good idea, otherwise there could be a lot of midrange and high frequency smear.

·
Registered
437 Posts
How much did you pay? Why the H-100? PL 200 spec wise seems like a better option for same price...unless you paid a lot less then $270.00 I would recommend exploring other options as well as doing some educational research, great place to start is audioholics

·
Banned
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the reviews that I have read (along with a thread dedicated on this forum for Aurelex) it seemed to me like it got raving reviews from a lot of members here.

What do you call the subwoofer "blending" effect? Room filling effect was what I was reffering to.

Do you think the aurelex will take away from this? I actually got two, one strictly for the subwoofer, and another one for my 5 speakers...(gonna cut it into 5 pieces)

I got the H-100 for $150 shipped.

·
Banned
15,491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323  /t/1470777/bic-h-100#post_23265595

From the reviews that I have read (along with a thread dedicated on this forum for Aurelex) it seemed to me like it got raving reviews from a lot of members here.
How many were accompanied by measured results that confirm what they thought they heard? The answer is exactly the same number of measured results that confirm what buyers of expensive cables think they hear: Zero. It's your money, spend it on what you want, but you also bought the sub based on reviews of how it images, and subs don't image.

·
Registered
437 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian323  /t/1470777/bic-h-100#post_23265595

What do you call the subwoofer "blending" effect? Room filling effect was what I was reffering to.

Do you think the aurelex will take away from this? I actually got two, one strictly for the subwoofer, and another one for my 5 speakers...(gonna cut it into 5 pieces)

I got the H-100 for $150 shipped.

By blending I assume you are referring to the subwoofers ability to cross over at the proper FQ with your speakers. The H-100 should have no issues with that it has a FQ response of up to 200hz so it will blend in with even the smallest of speakers, the aurelex has no affect on this. Cutting a second aurelex and placing it under your speakers wont do anything for your speakers.

what is your room size?

·
Banned
412 Posts
I have an opportunity to get an H-100 used for $148 out the door from a very caring owner.

I'd like to hear from anyone who bought an H-100 back in 2006-08 and still uses it to this day.....if those people exist (and I hope they do). I've read all about the amp and fuse problems that plagued it but it would be nice to get an idea of how widespread the problem is. So anyone who has had the H-100 for 4 or 5+ years with no issues, please chime in! And hopefully not EVERYONE who bought this sub back then suffered the same fate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts