AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a finished basement with carpet that is 24' x 24' only about half is used for home theater, the other half has an air hockey table. Will a sub like the BIC H-100 be enough for that room? If not what would you suggest?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
239 Posts
The H-100 is a good sub, actually great for the price, but you have a really large room. If you are looking to fill or Pressurize that room you would probably need to step up to one of the dual driver SVS or also you might want to look at a Martin Logan Descent. As they have the new Descnt i coming out and the older

Descents which are phenominal subs can be had for a much lower price that their original asking price. It is a 3 10" driver sub that is sealed and packs a wallop.


The H-100 would certainly provide bass in that room but if you are wanting BAAAAAAASSSSSS in that size room it is probably not the way to go. There is a lot of air in that size room to push wround. A single 10" driver would be being asked to perform a tough task to say the least.


Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird /forum/post/0


The H-100 is a good sub, actually great for the price, but you have a really large room. If you are looking to fill or Pressurize that room you would probably need to step up to one of the dual driver SVS or also you might want to look at a Martin Logan Descent. As they have the new Descnt i coming out and the older

Descents which are phenominal subs can be had for a much lower price that their original asking price. It is a 3 10" driver sub that is sealed and packs a wallop.


The H-100 would certainly provide bass in that room but if you are wanting BAAAAAAASSSSSS in that size room it is probably not the way to go. There is a lot of air in that size room to push wround. A single 10" driver would be being asked to perform a tough task to say the least.


Good luck.

Thanks for the info, even though I can't see the Martin Logan Descent getting anywhere near my price range which probably maxes out at about $600.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafflebird /forum/post/0


The H-100 is a good sub, actually great for the price, but you have a really large room. If you are looking to fill or Pressurize that room you would probably need to step up to one of the dual driver SVS or also you might want to look at a Martin Logan Descent. As they have the new Descnt i coming out and the older

Descents which are phenominal subs can be had for a much lower price that their original asking price. It is a 3 10" driver sub that is sealed and packs a wallop.


The H-100 would certainly provide bass in that room but if you are wanting BAAAAAAASSSSSS in that size room it is probably not the way to go. There is a lot of air in that size room to push wround. A single 10" driver would be being asked to perform a tough task to say the least.


Good luck.


if im not mistaken the BIC h-100 is a 12" but regardless i agree, would have a tough time "filling" that room
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
FWIW, I have a similar situation with an H-100 in a 25'x27' area of the basement, with half being used for home theater, (seats in the middle, surround-back channels on the back wall).


I'm very happy with the price point and performance for my budget 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 503, 6 Polk R-15s, and a CSi-25 center. Speakers and center are set to "small". Crossover is set at 100Hz.


Bass is smooth, deep and thumps in the seating area, definitely feel a full rumble from the LFE channel in movies and deep bass in music, but it's not the visceral thump you would feel in your chest from larger driver.


The thump is less pronounced when standing in the back half of the room, but the sub still blends well and it sounds like the bass is coming from the speakers on the back wall when I stand near them.


Finally, if your room is truly 24'x24', you may also want to look to the experts here to give you some advice on dealing with sound in a square room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99 /forum/post/0


FWIW, I have a similar situation with an H-100 in a 25'x27' area of the basement, with half being used for home theater, (seats in the middle, surround-back channels on the back wall).


I'm very happy with the price point and performance for my budget 7.1 setup with an Onkyo 503, 6 Polk R-15s, and a CSi-25 center. Speakers and center are set to "small". Crossover is set at 100Hz.


Bass is smooth, deep and thumps in the seating area, definitely feel a full rumble from the LFE channel in movies and deep bass in music, but it's not the visceral thump you would feel in your chest from larger driver.


The thump is less pronounced when standing in the back half of the room, but the sub still blends well and it sounds like the bass is coming from the speakers on the back wall when I stand near them.


Finally, if your room is truly 24'x24', you may also want to look to the experts here to give you some advice on dealing with sound in a square room.


I have a similar setup with an Onkyo 504, 4 Polk R-15s and a CSi-25 center. Just got the H100 a couple weeks ago. I'm still playing around with surround spkr placement. Anyway I've tried Large & Small for the spkrs, and 80Hz & 100Hz for the subwoofer crossover. Admittedly I have not tried too many movies, but so far I cannot tell a lot, if any, difference between settings. I did set up using a RS sound level meter.


Currently I'm using Small with 80Hz xover. Do you notice a lot of difference using 100Hz? I feel like leaving spkrs at Large and only turning on the sub for movies.


I wonder if there is a DVD with test tones for setting up a subwoofer. IOW, play a 100Hz tone and try a few receiver settings & make some sound level measurements. Then play a 80Hz tone and experiment with settings again. Maybe one could find out the optimum configuration.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 /forum/post/0


Currently I'm using Small with 80Hz xover. Do you notice a lot of difference using 100Hz? I feel like leaving spkrs at Large and only turning on the sub for movies.


I wonder if there is a DVD with test tones for setting up a subwoofer. IOW, play a 100Hz tone and try a few receiver settings & make some sound level measurements. Then play a 80Hz tone and experiment with settings again. Maybe one could find out the optimum configuration.

I used the frequency sweeps from the Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD. You can use the SPL meter to see where there are dips and drop-outs are as the tone starts out high and and goes sub 20Hz. For me, the transition of the tone from speakers to sub provided a flatter response with the crossover at 100Hz and the speakers at "small". Sub placement and room layout are big factors in getting a flat response. The "SPL Meter Correction Tables" sticky has a ton of good info.


All measurements aside, I am happy that in my setup the sub blends with the speakers for movies and music.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,266 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstan99 /forum/post/0


I used the frequency sweeps from the Avia Guide to Home Theater DVD. You can use the SPL meter to see where there are dips and drop-outs are as the tone starts out high and and goes sub 20Hz. For me, the transition of the tone from speakers to sub provided a flatter response with the crossover at 100Hz and the speakers at "small". Sub placement and room layout are big factors in getting a flat response. The "SPL Meter Correction Tables" sticky has a ton of good info.


All measurements aside, I am happy that in my setup the sub blends with the speakers for movies and music.


I do have the Avia DVD, I just never had a reason to previously use the audio portion. Kind of forgot that audio was even on it. I think I have an outdated version as some of the widescreen comments I have read on other forums do not relate. IOW, I don't have some WS test patterns. I previously emailed Avia twice in order to find out if indeed there is a newer version, however they have never replied. I'll have to give it a try for the sub adjustment. My DVD is labeled Copyright 1998-1999. Is yours newer?


Do you find that your sub sound level tracks pretty well with the main spkrs? Let's say you calibrate all spkrs to 75dB, but then listen at 65dB from the main spkrs. Does the sub level also properly lower to 65dB? Or does it have to be readjusted?


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
714 Posts
I don't think that you have an outdated copy, I'm only familiar with the 4:3 version of Avia. Maybe the folks in the Display Calibration forum can give you info about a calibration disk with widescreen patterns.


Also, it looks lke the RadioShack SPL meter is somewhat inconsistent at lower frequencies and you may need to bump the sub level a notch or two to truly be at the same level as the speakers. The "SPL Meter Correction Tables" thread has a lot of info on this subject.


Finally, I find the meter levels to stay relatively consistent at lower volumes, but choose to temporarily bump the sub level with the CH SEL and LEVEL +/- on the remote because it sounds better/fuller to me.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top