AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I recently purchased a BIC PL200 after a month or so and while watching a movie, the sub made a pop then started making some crackling sounds and stopped working. Interested in what was happening I unhooked it, pulled the sub out and low and behold the ground wire or tinsel going to the cone had burnt off. The ground wire coming from the amp to the terminal on the sub had broken off, it looks like it was crimped too tightly and just wore itself apart but in the mean time was arcing off at the connector. Which in turn burnt out the wire going to the cone.

I was wondering if there was a sub that I could fit that would sound decent into the box and use the plate amp and the box because those are fine still or should I just trash/sell it and buy something else diy style. Keep in mind I do not have unlimited funds I am working on a budget, I have the tools and I can modify the box if need be add bracing of make the cutout bigger for a better sub. 

I'm really irritated that the sub would crap out so quickly, seems like the BIC sub is just cheap trash.

Steve

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador  /t/1524152/bic-pl200-trash-replace-with-a-decent-sub#post_24525095

Why not contact the manufacturer to have it replaced?

I'm pretty sure I voided the warranty by opening it up. Regardless of that fact, I would rather get something that will be better.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Because of the amp cost (cheapest decent amp is the inuke 1000?) you aren't going to find something good that is a better cost to performance ratio. You need the amp first which is 200 minimum. Diy subs are good for the cost but the barrier to entry cost is still pretty high.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Sorry, I'm really tired today. $150 is the entry cost I meant to say not $200.

But that's just the amplifier. If you have woodworking skills/tools then you're not in a bad spot. You can pick up an Infinity Reference sub for $65 and get some wood and get to cutting. Probably cost you a total of $250 when you're all said and done(Could do dual Infinity Reference for around $310 which would be pretty nice actually).

But not everyone has tools. I don't. So for myself I need a flatpack and that's going to cost you.

http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-15-dvc-subwoofer-and-cabinet-package--300-7098

+

Inuke 1000

gets you to $350 and would outperform the Bic PL-200. Depends on what you want to go with, what your limitations are on how big of a sub you can build, etc.

You don't need the DSP though. It's good for enthusiasts who like to EQ and have the measuring equipment to do so. For a noob like myself, I don't have that type of equipment and so it's not a huge concern for me. I'm sure though that 6 months from now I'll wish I had a DSP version but right now I don't think about it.

Depends on what you have available to you as to how cheap DIY is.

As for modifying what you have. I can't help you there.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
What size is the cabinet? What kind of wattage does the stock amp put out? If it were me, I would contact the manufacture and get it fixed, then sell it and buy quad Infinity 1260's and then take what money you already have and buy a Behringer iNuke3000. I have heard of folks mostly doing sealed enclosures with these Infinities, but, I would go for ported cabinets if it were me! If you can't afford the iNuke3000, then duel 1260's in ported enclosures, two of them, powered by a regular iNuke1000 would likely kick the BIc in the rear!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have quad 1260w in ported boxes. $54 each sub. $200 for epx2000 then some wood and wire. Not sure if you can beat 4 of these for well under $600. Most premade subs that come close would cost that for just one.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULLY12  /t/1524152/bic-pl200-trash-replace-with-a-decent-sub#post_24526175

I have quad 1260w in ported boxes. $54 each sub. $200 for epx2000 then some wood and wire. Not sure if you can beat 4 of these for well under $600. Most premade subs that come close would cost that for just one.

What size are your 1260 enclosure and what are they tuned to?

·
Registered
193 Posts
My rears are about 4.25 16.5 Hz fronts are about 4.5 and same tune. I have a thread for them that gives more detail about them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts