AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone who knows me, knows I like biggest bang for the buck items, while still maintaining a performance aspect to it. Not cheap or expensive junk....things that perform well above the price point.

Enter the BIC RTR EV-15`s ,...............

Street price approx. 200 bucks each delivered...bestbuy price match of newegg is 144 each.....:eek:

A huge 3way floor stander with a 15 inch woofer and 5.25 midrange.

Rated +-3DB from 24hz to 20Khz, these dig as deep as most 300 dollar or less subwoofers with room shaking bass.

I have had a bunch of different speakers and these are a huge value. I just upgraded from the BIC FH-6 LCR`s, which were great for the money, but dual 6.5 inch woofers can not deliver like a 15 inch driver can.

The horns will deliver crystal clear highs , nice mids and HUGE bass.........

Ran straight from the box they sound pretty good, with a little EQ they sound even better as any speaker does.

If you are looking for that big movie sound on a thin budget, these are at the top of the list......

These do a little better for music than the FH-6`s did, but where they really shine is for movies.........:D

BestBuy ships them to the store, so returns are easy and free with a full money back if not happy.........if you have the room for these as they are huge real floor standers, then there is no risk to give it a shot.

This is my 5th different product from BIC and I have been happy with them all.........these EV-15`s perform way above their price point, especially with the 144 buck price match.

I am listening to them right now and they sound really good as I get used to them... once I get them all set up behind the screen I will do some REW sweeps with no EQ, then with EQ. All of the other 4 BIC products swept in REW very very close to advertised specs, so I suspect these will be no different.

Super happy with how these perform and all of the Amazon reviews seem very favorable, the bad reviews mostly seem to be issues beyond the speaker itself.......did not say they were not powered/shipping damage etc, nothing to do really with the speaker or its sound....one bad review was that they weighed too much...LOL

They are big boys.......:D

Attachments

·
Registered
143 Posts
i would love to know how these monsters compares to Behringer Eurolive XL -series.. ye i know these goes lower, but how's sound ?

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I would guess a 3way with more extension would sound a little better than a 2 way.......But those are considerably more money aren't they ?

The Behringers will get louder according to specs......and are more compact.

·
Banned
1,471 Posts
Anyone who knows me, knows I like biggest bang for the buck items, while still maintaining a performance aspect to it. Not cheap or expensiveby junk....things that perform well above the price point.

Enter the BIC RTR EV-15`s ,...............

Street price approx. 200 bucks each delivered...bestbuy price match of newegg is 144 each.....:eek:

A huge 3way floor stander with a 15 inch woofer and 5.25 midrange.

Rated +-3DB from 24hz to 20Khz, these dig as deep as most 300 dollar or less subwoofers with room shaking bass.

I have had a bunch of different speakers and these are a huge value. I just upgraded from the BIC FH-6 LCR`s, which were great for the money, but dual 6.5 inch woofers can not deliver like a 15 inch driver can.

The horns will deliver crystal clear highs , nice mids and HUGE bass.........

Ran straight from the box they sound pretty good, with a little EQ they sound even better as any speaker does.

If you are looking for that big movie sound on a thin budget, these are at the top of the list......

These do a little better for music than the FH-6`s did, but where they really shine is for movies.........:D

BestBuy ships them to the store, so returns are easy and free with a full money back if not happy.........if you have the room for these as they are huge real floor standers, then there is no risk to give it a shot.

This is my 5th different product from BIC and I have been happy with them all.........these EV-15`s perform way above their price point, especially with the 144 buck price match.

I am listening to them right now and they sound really good as I get used to them... once I get them all set up behind the screen I will do some REW sweeps with no EQ, then with EQ. All of the other 4 BIC products swept in REW very very close to advertised specs, so I suspect these will be no different.

Super happy with how these perform and all of the Amazon reviews seem very favorable, the bad reviews mostly seem to be issues beyond the speaker itself.......did not say they were not powered/shipping damage etc, nothing to do really with the speaker or its sound....one bad review was that they weighed too much...LOL

They are big boys.......:D

Huge is relative. These speakers will fit in the mid-range of my main speakers in the media room.:) I've owned them for over 2 years now. And I owned the Bic RTR 1530 speakers long before these. These are very good speakers with clear highs and good midrange. The bass they produce is ample, but not a replacement for a good subwoofer. All in all they are very good speakers. I have four of them them in my bedroom with a 70 inch TV. Nothing like surround sound to help one fall asleep at night.:D

They perform very well with movies. Dialogue can be heard at low volumes without having to crank them. I do not need a center speaker when watching movies in the bedroom. Also they sound good with music and I find that I can listen to them for for long periods of time with great enjoyment. They do sound their best with a good amount of power. I would suggest an amp with at least 300 watts per channel. Using them with the usual Tonka toy receiver onboard amp will result in tinny sounding highs and weak bass.

·
Registered
111 Posts
"I would suggest an amp with at least 300 watts per channel. Using them with the usual Tonka toy receiver onboard amp will result in tinny sounding highs and weak bass."

These are only rated at 425 Watts PEAK POWER. If you actually rate these at true RMS power you will probably be getting about 250 watts RMS handling power per speaker. Most receivers or amps are rated at RMS Power, if they are quality equipment. If you are using an amp with 300 watts RMS power per channel, you can easily blow these if you get wild with the volume. Just be careful with the volume control.

Reactions: unretarded

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am positive they are under powered right now and at some future upgrade when I have a AVR with pre outs, they will get a amp.......but they sound good and get plenty loud in tiny 12x12 sealed room.

In stereo they get approx. 135 watts each and they are rated for 225 RMS, plus they only do 80hz and up.....very acceptable at this point performance wise for music and movies at normal human levels.

I watched Oblivion last night and there was more than enough power and loudness.......I actually use less volume than when I had the bookshelves.......we will see what happens when I do REW and calibrate for reference again.

They are also biampable, so that opens some options up for the future.:D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I am positive they are under powered right now and at some future upgrade when I have a AVR with pre outs, they will get a amp.......but they sound good and get plenty loud in tiny 12x12 sealed room.

In stereo they get approx. 135 watts each and they are rated for 225 RMS, plus they only do 80hz and up.....very acceptable at this point performance wise for music and movies at normal human levels.

I watched Oblivion last night and there was more than enough power and loudness.......I actually use less volume than when I had the bookshelves.......we will see what happens when I do REW and calibrate for reference again.

They are also biampable, so that opens some options up for the future.:D
I'd love to see some in-room measurements of those! 24hz +/- 3db with a 95db sensitivity rating is a bold claim indeed. If true, they're an absolute steal if they measure relatively well.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'd love to see some in-room measurements of those! 24hz +/- 3db with a 95db sensitivity rating is a bold claim indeed. If true, they're an absolute steal if they measure relatively well.

This is my fifth product line from them and all have measured well or close to specs.......

F-12 sub measured at the cone was right on with specs......pl-200 sub measured at the cone was right on with specs.........the FH-6 LCR`s were pretty good, considering it is hard to measure them in room and not have the room mess with them, so those were measured appox 20 inches from cone.......D62 3lcr`s measured pretty close, but were measured crossed to the sub at 80hz, so I have no idea how well they did below 80hz.

I expect the EV 15`s will do well.....they are behind a spandex screen now, so no raw REW measurements will happen in the open......all measurements will be with them behind the screen.

They are pretty impressive for the price and based on the sound of the last 2 different sets before and after REW, these sound just as good or better......which is shocking given the price.....:D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
This is my fifth product line from them and all have measured well or close to specs.......

F-12 sub measured at the cone was right on with specs......pl-200 sub measured at the cone was right on with specs.........the FH-6 LCR`s were pretty good, considering it is hard to measure them in room and not have the room mess with them, so those were measured appox 20 inches from cone.......D62 3lcr`s measured pretty close, but were measured crossed to the sub at 80hz, so I have no idea how well they did below 80hz.

I expect the EV 15`s will do well.....they are behind a spandex screen now, so no raw REW measurements will happen in the open......all measurements will be with them behind the screen.

They are pretty impressive for the price and based on the sound of the last 2 different sets before and after REW, these sound just as good or better......which is shocking given the price.....:D
Great - looking forward to seeing them :) (though I'm not sure myself how to measure sensitivity ratings).

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great - looking forward to seeing them :) (though I'm not sure myself how to measure sensitivity ratings).

Me either....only did REW sweeps.........my sensitivity measurement was the AVR was able to get all of them way louder than anyone will listen in my room at...LOL

I take it with a grain of salt all ratings are off.......so even if they are flat between 30hz and 18khz and sensitivity is only 93 db........they still get plenty loud from a cheap AVR . ;)

I actually am running less main volume now with the larger ones, than the smaller ones.......

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was definitely considering these but with no way of hearing them beforehand I decided against it, and got the Klipsch Icon KF-28 instead. Guess we'll see whether or not I made the wrong choice :p

·
Registered
17,790 Posts
Well, I can't comment on other BIC speakers but the FH-6LCR for all its pluses most certainly does not go down anywhere close to the 40Hz that is listed on the BIC website, more like 80Hz on a good day.
http://bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=2&type=7&spkrID=83

But glad you're loving the EV-15s ... let me guess, you are single? :)

If not, I'd say you have an incredibly enviable partner! :D

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just made a screen wall.....out of sight out of mind......:D

I only measured the FH-6 LCR`s down to 80hz crossover to the sub..........well all of them actually, even running the new ones 80hz and up......but did run them as large to see what they would do and they went as low and had as much output as the F-12 sub....actually a little more output.

The comparison was 3 F-12`s and the 3 EV`s......the 3 EV`s shook the seating from 9 foot away, some thing the F-12`s did not do and it shook it, not just some little vibrations....;)

After a few movies now, I can say the huge mains made a huge difference ! Not only in tactile impact, but in that big movie theater sound, plus they are correctly located behind a screen which makes a much bigger difference than I imagined having the center where it belongs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Just made a screen wall.....out of sight out of mind......:D

I only measured the FH-6 LCR`s down to 80hz crossover to the sub..........well all of them actually, even running the new ones 80hz and up......but did run them as large to see what they would do and they went as low and had as much output as the F-12 sub....actually a little more output.

The comparison was 3 F-12`s and the 3 EV`s......the 3 EV`s shook the seating from 9 foot away, some thing the F-12`s did not do and it shook it, not just some little vibrations....;)

After a few movies now, I can say the huge mains made a huge difference ! Not only in tactile impact, but in that big movie theater sound, plus they are correctly located behind a screen which makes a much bigger difference than I imagined having the center where it belongs.
Are you going to post your measurements? I'm fine with their being room interactions I'm just curious what these can do in relation to their claimed extension specs.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you going to post your measurements? I'm fine with their being room interactions I'm just curious what these can do in relation to their claimed extension specs.

Thanks!

Yes, just busy at the moment....:D

I can say by ear they go well below 30, but REW will tell the story. The bic F-12 sub with a 12 inch driver is rated to 25hz and measured a inch from the cone it does that......these seem to go just as low by ear.

I will measure with REW in a few days........

The woofer looks to use the entire box size and the dual ports look close to the F-12`s sub ports, probably tuned super low, which is why it is a 3 way with a 5 inch mid to make up the difference of being tuned that low.

I am not sure what purpose it will serve, but since these are bi ampable, I might sweep the top end, the low end and all of them together just to see what I learn from it.

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Measured as close as possible to the cone for the low end and at the MLP for the full sweep..........this was raw by ear, will post more after EQ work.......

I would say they are not heavily cut off on the low end as starting the sweeps at 5hz resulted in the screen fluttering at 5-10hz........I would say the +or- 3db down to 24hz is about spot on and even though it falls below 24hz, its not a cliff.

I am happy for 148 bucks !

Even though they go down low, I am still running them from 80hz up and it still makes a huge difference at 80hz and up over the little dual 6.5 inch bookshelves.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Below is the best I could get with the AVR`s limited EQ, I have no ability to DSP the mains......yet.....;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts