AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I was looking at buying one of these subs. They seem very similar except for color and port. Just wondering from anyone who owns either of these or both if there are any real differences? I did read the F-12 has more extended frequency range? If someone can explain to me the difference that would be awesome! Also if you had to pick between these two which would you choose?

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=3&type=3&spkrID=119

http://www.bicamerica.com/showpage.php?brand=2&type=8&spkrID=84

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
they are actually cosmetic variations of the same sub. they have the same amp rated at 150 watts RMS. biggest difference is the RTR EV 1200 has the port on the side and the f12 has the port in the rear

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
I have read in a few places that the F-12 has more extended range frequency. What exactly is that?
Both subs frequency range is listed at 25Hz-200Hz, but neither sub is going to give you much below 30Hz.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have read in a few places that the F-12 has more extended range frequency. What exactly is that?
I've also read that. On Amazon I think. It's wrong. Both are listed going down to 25 hz. Same amp.

Might be minor differences but for all intents and purposes I believe they are the same sub.

The F12 seems to be a lot more popular. Not sure why, maybe it came out earlier, don't know.

Either way you're probably getting the same thing. I would choose based on where you want the port and if the prices are the same. I find the 1200 to be more expensive usually.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've also read that. On Amazon I think. It's wrong. Both are listed going down to 25 hz. Same amp.

Might be minor differences but for all intents and purposes I believe they are the same sub.

The F12 seems to be a lot more popular. Not sure why, maybe it came out earlier, don't know.

Either way you're probably getting the same thing. I would choose based on where you want the port and if the prices are the same. I find the 1200 to be more expensive usually.
That's what I was thinking. I am just not great with the technical side of this stuff. Now in your guys opinion does it matter where the port hole is? Is there better performance from it being on the side or back? Or simply cosmetic?

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
That's what I was thinking. I am just not great with the technical side of this stuff. Now in your guys opinion does it matter where the port hole is? Is there better performance from it being on the side or back? Or simply cosmetic?
Back when I bought the RTR-EV1200 I chose it over the F12 mainly for the port being on the side. I planned to have the back of the sub close to the wall, so the side port worked better in my situation. Performance wise there shouldn't be any difference.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Back when I bought the RTR-EV1200 I chose it over the F12 mainly for the port being on the side. I planned to have the back of the sub close to the wall, so the side port worked better in my situation. Performance wise there shouldn't be any difference.
Does this sub hit pretty hard? I plan to use it more for movies/games then music but may use it for music from time to time. It will be paired with a Yamaha RX-V677 receiver.

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
For the price of the BIC-f12, I think you will enjoy the Dayton Audio SUB-1500 better.

Either way, both are capable subs for what they are

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Does this sub hit pretty hard? I plan to use it more for movies/games then music but may use it for music from time to time. It will be paired with a Yamaha RX-V677 receiver.
The Ev1200 is a pretty decent sub, but nothing great. None of these subs in this price range are going to wow you with low LFE for movies. I would rank the EV1200 above the Dayton sub-1200/1500, but below the Bic V-1220. If I had only $200 to spend, getting the Klipsch sub-12 on sale for $199.99 (which happens fairly often) would be my first choice. Bic V-1220 would be my second choice.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Ev1200 is a pretty decent sub, but nothing great. None of these subs in this price range are going to wow you with low LFE for movies. I would rank the EV1200 above the Dayton sub-1200/1500, but below the Bic V-1220. If I had only $200 to spend, getting the Klipsch sub-12 on sale for $199.99 (which happens fairly often) would be my first choice. Bic V-1220 would be my second choice.
What does the Klipsch sub-12 offer over the BIC subs? Sorry I am asking so many ?'s. All this stuff can be a bit overwhelming. I don't expect to get the best of the best of the best. I am only in a 14x11 room so I just want something that will give me some good boom when watching movies and playing games.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
The room I am in is about 14x11. So next question is would it be better to have two SUB-1200's or one SUB-1500?
What amount of $$ are you wanting to spend?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What amount of $$ are you wanting to spend?
For a sub max about 300. I also need to buy fronts and rears which is also stressing me a bit. Satellites fit me best in that area. I need to wall mount them I can't just put them on stands in a corner. I was looking at the Polk Audio TL250's or even TL350's I found for a little under 600. But 600 would be max for fronts and rears. I already bought Yamaha RX-V677 Receiver. It's still sitting in the box in my closet waiting for the rest to show up lol.

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
For a sub max about 300. I also need to buy fronts and rears which is also stressing me a bit. Satellites fit me best in that area. I need to wall mount them I can't just put them on stands in a corner. I was looking at the Polk Audio TL250's or even TL350's I found for a little under 600. But 600 would be max for fronts and rears. I already bought Yamaha RX-V677 Receiver. It's still sitting in the box in my closet waiting for the rest to show up lol.
Another question I have. I see that Klipsch sub-12 is a downfiring sub. I have carpeted floors. Would that be ok or should I put maybe a piece of plywood under it?
Down-firing on carpet shouldn't be a problem. The Klipsch sub-12 is a fairly powerful sub, with a lot of strong output. It will still drop off steeply after about 26Hz, but I found it to have stronger output than others in the $200 or less range. In comparison, the Klipsch sub-12 has a 300w rms BASH amp, while the Dayton sub-12 has a 120w RMS amp.

For speakers on the cheap, the Infinity Primus line is often on sale and are hard to beat for the price. You could get 5 of the P153 speakers for L/R/C/Surrounds and they would work nicely in a small room. They also have key-holed wall mounting brackets already installed on the back. Frys.com run them on sale about every 2 months for $40-$50 each. Running one as a center channel wouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Down-firing on carpet shouldn't be a problem. The Klipsch sub-12 is a fairly powerful sub, with a lot of strong output. It will still drop off steeply after about 26Hz, but I found it to have stronger output than others in the $200 or less range. In comparison, the Klipsch sub-12 has a 300w rms BASH amp, while the Dayton sub-12 has a 120w RMS amp.

For speakers on the cheap, the Infinity Primus line is often on sale and are hard to beat for the price. You could get 5 of the P153 speakers for L/R/C/Surrounds and they would work nicely in a small room. They also have key-holed wall mounting brackets already installed on the back. Frys.com run them on sale about every 2 months for $40-$50 each. Running one as a center channel wouldn't be a problem.
Decisions decisions lol. What about that BIC Acoustech PL-200? It's about 28 bucks over my price range but I could find 28 bucks if I had to lol. I will check those out.

http://home-subwoofers-review.toptenreviews.com/bic-acoustech-review.html

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Decisions decisions lol. What about that BIC Acoustech PL-200? It's about 28 bucks over my price range but I could find 28 bucks if I had to lol. I will check those out.

http://home-subwoofers-review.toptenreviews.com/bic-acoustech-review.html

https://youtu.be/jlP3HISQv4Y
If you were going to spend $600 on speakers and $300 on a sub, then your total budget is $900, correct? If that's the case, get the 5 Infinity P153 speakers = $250, which leaves you with $650 for a sub. With a $650 sub budget, your options are FAR greater and better. You could get a quality 20Hz sub from SVS, Rythmik, Outlaw or HSU to name some.

If you did this, one in particular I would check out is the Rythmik LV12R for $569 shipped. http://www.rythmikaudio.com/LV12R.html

1 - 20 of 26 Posts