AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new home is currently under construction, well at least once they start digging the hole for it. None the less, I want to figure out my Home Theater Speaker system for the great room/family room prior to framing being completed, so I can run the wires in wall. This will be a secondary home theater area, as the final and primary theater will go in the basement in a year or two.

I am looking to get an in-wall speaker system for the great room which measures 14 (W) x 19 (L) and is two stories in height (Somewhere between 4,700 and 5,300 cu ft).

I am leaning towards purchasing the BIC Acoustech HT8's. Are there other suggestions out there, that would significantly improve the quality for the price increase? I am willing to go up to $200 per speaker if there is a solid improvement in quality.

The other question I have is the subwoofer....will the Acoustech H100 be enough for this size room or should I upgrade to an SVS PB10 (for instance)? Any thoughts on the sub would be great as I am not sure which way to go right now.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
For a room that size, I'd save the extra $$ on speakers and put it into a bigger sub, you'll need it to fill/pressurize that space. Neither of the subs you mentioned are going to get it done.

Look at the SVS PB12-Plus/2 and you'll be happy.

Tim

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I totally agree with OvalNut!!!!... your going to need bigger for that room for things to work right. SVSPB12+2 is a super sub and perfect for your size.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I have read great reviews for HSU (not HTU) subs, especially VTF-3 MKII. This is what I am going to buy soon, I have made my decision. SVS produces good subs too.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
There was recently a shoot out somewhere between the VTF-3 and the PB12+2Ultra... You should search and find it before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If going with Hsu, probably need at least the Hsu STF3 or VTF3 (both 12" drivers) in that size room. Folks in the sub forum would probably recommend dual subs, but I dunno. Venture there if you dare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.