1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all!

Hopefully this is a dumb question
. I have the following setup:

Computer -> iBasson D7 DAC -> Dayton DTA-100a Amp -> V1020 Sub -> Audioengine P4 Speakers

All connected at speaker level.

I have the crossover set to around 75. I'm not sure if this is the best number but with the lower end of the P4 range around 60 I figured it made sense.

The only question/concern I have is to get sufficient bass I really have to crank the Sub volume, almost to max. I was not expecting this as I figured a largeish 10" Sub like this one would "blow me away" in a small bedroom.

I think the issue may be that the amp is extremely strong. By way of example, if I max the computer volume and try to use the amp to control volume, the speakers are loud at the lowest amp volume setting.

This tells me the amp "runs loud" and that I just have to increase the Sub's volume to match the amp so there are no issues assuming I keep overall volume reasonable. Is that correct?

As an aside I have messed with the phase switch (0 or 180) and can tell no difference so I have left it at 0. The Sub is located under my computer desk against a wall.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch  /t/1449698/bic-v1020-have-to-crank-the-volume#post_22785491

Audioengine P4 Speakers...

I have the crossover set to around 75. I'm not sure if this is the best number but with the lower end of the P4 range around 60 I figured it made sense.

The crossover setting concerns me a little. If not set correctly, you'd end up with a "hole" in the frequency response of your system. I looked at your speakers and the manufacturer didn't indicate a +/- db "window" for the frequency response. Given that the speakers have single 4" drivers, I'd probably be a little bit skeptical of them hitting 75hz let alone 58-60hz with any authority. There's always exceptions, but . . .

I'd contact Audioengine and ask about a crossover recommendation, but, give a 100-120hz crossover a try and see if that does something positive. You may get some localization with a crossover that high, but it's hard to be perfect.

More reading:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/bass-management-basics-2013-settings-made-simple
Quote:
What is a Crossover Frequency, Anyway?

Before you can understand bass management it’s important to comprehend the terminology and the nomenclature behind the things we’ll be discussing. The crossover frequency is the point at which bass management kicks in, sending low frequency information to the subwoofer, and allowing the information above this frequency to continue to play out of the loudspeakers (more on this in our next section.) In effect, you are attempting to set this frequency to the lowest point at which your smallest speakers can play with authority (+/-3dB). If you have small satellite speakers with 4 or 5” woofers this will likely be around 100-120Hz. If you are using bookshelf speakers, this could be from 60-100Hz. For floorstanding speakers utilizing multiple woofers, this could be anywhere from 40Hz-80Hz, though we’ll give you some suggestions later that may have you setting this to 80Hz for all but satellite systems.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input! I have sent an e-mail to AudioEngine and will see what they come back with.

The P4s are vocally similar to the popular active AudioEngine A5. From all the reviews I have read they actually have good bass response for a small speaker - they are considered serviceable even without a Sub. I had seen a 70-80 Hz range recommended in a review so I tried that.

Based on your advice, I popped it up to about 85 (I think 100+ would be high for these speakers) and it does sound a bit more balanced without cranking the volume as much. I think I'll test with these settings for a while and will report back on what AudioEngine recommends.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update. I found a test tone that rises from 10Hz to 200Hz here: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Running that I think you were right. If I turned the Sub off, I could tell the P4s do indeed produce low frequency sound but at drastically lower volume than the higher frequencies. WIth the Sub on, I noticed a drop off in volume in the 100-110Hz range, suggesting the handover to the mains was causing some loss of volume in that range.

So I have now set the crossover to 110Hz which seems to create a smoother response volume wise on the test file. I am now testing real music with these settings.

I note that the higher frequencies (150+) are still louder than the lower ones - I think that is my amp being loud as I mentioned in the original post - so I upped the Sub volume a little too. Will see where this gets me!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch  /t/1449698/bic-v1020-have-to-crank-the-volume#post_22787772

Just an update. I found a test tone that rises from 10Hz to 200Hz here: http://www.audiocheck.net/audiotests_frequencychecklow.php

Running that I think you were right. If I turned the Sub off, I could tell the P4s do indeed produce low frequency sound but at drastically lower volume than the higher frequencies. WIth the Sub on, I noticed a drop off in volume in the 100-110Hz range, suggesting the handover to the mains was causing some loss of volume in that range.

So I have now set the crossover to 110Hz which seems to create a smoother response volume wise on the test file. I am now testing real music with these settings.

I note that the higher frequencies (150+) are still louder than the lower ones - I think that is my amp being loud as I mentioned in the original post - so I upped the Sub volume a little too. Will see where this gets me!

Just stumbled upon this page searching for the best way to set up my speaker system that is similar to yours. Did you end up finding the proper setting for the crossover setting?

I'm also using the p4 speakers connected to a v1020, but am using an onkyo 2.1 receiver. I was starting to think the receiver is the problem, but I'm still not sure.

I also set up the crossover at about 80hz initially, but it just doesn't sound right. I am afraid to set the crossover too high and have the subwoofer sound bad. My way cheaper 2.0 computer speakers somehow sound better..

I would appreciate an update on your situation. Thanks!

·
Registered
13,441 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by javillalobos  /t/1449698/bic-v1020-have-to-crank-the-volume#post_23025743

Just stumbled upon this page searching for the best way to set up my speaker system that is similar to yours. Did you end up finding the proper setting for the crossover setting?

I'm also using the p4 speakers connected to a v1020, but am using an onkyo 2.1 receiver. I was starting to think the receiver is the problem, but I'm still not sure.

I also set up the crossover at about 80hz initially, but it just doesn't sound right. I am afraid to set the crossover too high and have the subwoofer sound bad. My way cheaper 2.0 computer speakers somehow sound better..

I would appreciate an update on your situation. Thanks!

Don't be afraid, you won't hurt anything by raising the crossover. Give it a listen at every crossover point between 80-150hz, you got nothing to lose.

·
Registered
630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P  /t/1449698/bic-v1020-have-to-crank-the-volume#post_23027886

Don't be afraid, you won't hurt anything by raising the crossover. Give it a listen at every crossover point between 80-150hz, you got nothing to lose.

Except lots and lots of time, particularly once your system starts to sound really good and all you want to do is listen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts