AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey everyone - this is my first post but I've been stalking this forum for quite a while now. Lots of excellent advice, funny stories, and hilarious arguments.

Here's my situation:

I'm upgrading my HT audio piece by piece (this is in our family room). I'm coming from a Sony HTiB I got in the '90s - so it's been really hard to make a "wrong" decision since just about everything from here is "up". I need some advice on a subwoofer and I haven't seen the two in the title compared - but "comparing" is not really what I'm after. The real question is, "Will the V1220 be okay for my situation or do I need to step up to the PL-200 (that's about my budget limit)?

My room:

19.5 ft deep by 21.5 ft wide. The right half of the back wall is open to the kitchen. The back third of the left side wall is open to the foyer. The front-right corder is cut off by a fireplace at an angle. Right wall is mostly windows. Left side of front wall has an open doorway to a hall.

Primary viewing/listening position is 14 ft from the front wall, roughly centered in the room & centered between the front mains.

Front main spread is 11.5 ft (fireplace on right & doorway on left prevent spreading any wider). Front mains are at ear level when seated.

Surround speakers are in the side walls just off the back corder and are 21.5 ft apart. Surrounds are 4.5 ft back from the primary viewing/listening position (windows on right & entry on left prevent mounting them any further forward). Surrounds are higher than ear level when seated / lower than ear level when standing.

Ceilingis 9 ft and flat. Walls & ceiling are textured/painted, floor is carpet & pad over concrete.

With the cut-off corner for the fireplace, I estimate the room volume to be 3,660 cu. ft (minus 2 sofas, an upholsted chair, 2 ottomans, 2 end tables, and a low console under the TV).

Equipment (on a budget):

Front mains and surrounds are in-wall Polk RC65i. Center channel is in-wall Polk 255-RT.

Receiver is a Denon AVR-590.

TV 65-inch, is thin and mounted on the front wall.

When playing test tones, my Sony HTiB subwoofer (8-inch?) starts to make "noise" at about 80Hz and begins playing an actual "tone" at about 92-93Hz - it's truly horrable.

I've considered using 2 subs but it's just not possible given the wife and the architecture. Placement choices for a single sub are also limited:

1) On the front wall either to the left or right of the TV but it would have to be between the front mains (not sure if that's bad). In this position, the sub would also have to "look nice".

2) Under the windows on the right about half-way between the front wall & the primary viewing/listening position. This position would not be between the front mains (if that matters) and could be semi-hidden under an end table.

I will obviously test all the "acceptable" positions once I get a decent sub in hand.

So - back to the question at hand:

Can the v1220 manage a decent sized room (also considering my AVR-590 only pumps out 75-watts x 5 channels) or do I need to step up to a PL-200?

I'm also open to other suggestions. My budget is around the $300 mark (and I'm willing to spend less).

Thanks for any advice you smart guys might be able to lend. I'm especially interested in first-hand experience with either of these subs in a 3,600-3,700 cu ft space.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would definitely go with the PL-200, it will have better extension and higher output, which will be needed in such a big space. There really aren't many other offerings in this price range, you can try and find a NXG BAS-500, but I think they are sold out now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

NXG BAS-500 - that's a new one on me. I did find a new one for ~$380 delivered (didn't look very hard. might beat that). About $55 higher than the my best find for the PL-200 but that's definitely in the running.

NXGs are good (given my budget)?

Thanks for the tip. -- more research & hand-wringing

·
Registered
475 Posts

If the BIC PL-200 is at your budget limit, I would get that.

You have a large room, and no budget sub is going to excel there. 

I bought a BIC F12 when I upgraded from basically-utter-crap to a budget setup after reading around on AVS and elsewhere for awhile. I have a huge open-concept-floorplan room....5,400 cubic feet + the kitchen it opens to. 2 weeks later I moved it to the garage for when I workout and ponied up the $ for a mid level sub, that's how impressed I was. Don't get me wrong, it was a big upgrade over the Polk PSW10 I had been using, but still...it was a $200 budget sub. 

·
Registered
7,002 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylojuky  /t/1526849/bic-v1220-or-pl-200-newbie#post_24595287

NXG BAS-500 - that's a new one on me. I did find a new one for ~$380 delivered (didn't look very hard. might beat that). About $55 higher than the my best find for the PL-200 but that's definitely in the running.

NXGs are good (given my budget)?

Thanks for the tip. -- more research & hand-wringing
You can always make these guys and offer of $280 and they are likely to accept that offer for a new PL-200. http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1555&sc

The NXG BAS-500 is currently out of stock but it was priced around $265 on amazon when it was available if my memory serves me right.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425  /t/1526849/bic-v1220-or-pl-200-newbie#post_24595355

You can always make these guys and offer of $280 and they are likely to except that offer for a new PL-200. http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/core/view_BigProduct.cfm?pid=1555&sc

The NXG BAS-500 is currently out of stock but it was priced around $265 on amazon when it was available if my memory serves me right.
Thanks - bookmarked.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farley1  /t/1526849/bic-v1220-or-pl-200-newbie#post_24595311

2 weeks later I moved it to the garage for when I workout and ponied up the $ for a mid level sub,
I'm more than a little afraid of that happening to me as well. I hope the difference between either of the 2 Bic offerings and my current junk will be enough to impress me for a while at least. Given that I just purchased a TV, furniture, mains, surrounds and center channel, I really can't afford any more than around $300 for quite some time.

I will say I'm impressed with the Polk Audio in-wall speakers given their price point (remember I'm coming from 90s-era Sony HTiB speakers so any direction is up). I finally have clean sounding mids genuine highs. The AM radio speaker in my 1970 Ford pickup is better than those Sony speakers.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylojuky  /t/1526849/bic-v1220-or-pl-200-newbie#post_24595685

I'm more than a little afraid of that happening to me as well. I hope the difference between either of the 2 Bic offerings and my current junk will be enough to impress me for a while at least. Given that I just purchased a TV, furniture, mains, surrounds and center channel, I really can't afford any more than around $300 for quite some time.

I will say I'm impressed with the Polk Audio in-wall speakers given their price point (remember I'm coming from 90s-era Sony HTiB speakers so any direction is up). I finally have clean sounding mids genuine highs. The AM radio speaker in my 1970 Ford pickup is better than those Sony speakers.

I think you will enjoy the BIC PL-200, especially coming from your Sony HTIB. +1 for getting it from Acoustic Sound Design, I think $280 is the lowest I have seen them accept.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts