AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just looking to get some opinions from anyone who has heard one or both of these subwoofers. I can get the Polk PSW505 for $250 shipped however I also came upon another good deal where I can get a new BIC VK-12 for $175 shipped.

Which one will be the better bang for the buck in your opinion? And I know that neither one of these subs are high dollar shake the house down subs however please keep in mind I already have a 15" sub and a 18" diy sub.

I will be adding one of these two subs as a second sub in my HT room. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I looked very carefully at the Polk 505 two months ago. One reviewer indicated that it put out 102db at 40Hz and 92db at 30Hz in his listening room and had very little output below 30Hz. The BIC F12 (

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/18197639

I looked very carefully at the Polk 505 two months ago. One reviewer indicated that it put out 102db at 40Hz and 92db at 30Hz in his listening room and had very little output below 30Hz. The BIC F12 (

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/18197717

Well I can get the Bic VK-12 for cheaper than the Bic F12. It doesn't make since to me to pay more for a F12 which has a smaller 200 watt rms amp when compared to the VK-12's 250 watt rms amp which I can get for a cheaper price.

What site is selling them for that?????????

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Then go for the VK-12. You might also check some of the threads to see how individuals say the VK-12 compare to the F12.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwinkler /forum/post/18197828

Then go for the VK-12. You might also check some of the threads to see how individuals say the VK-12 compare to the F12.

As stated before I am not interested in the F12 due to the lower price point of the VK-12. I am only interested in the VK-12 or the more powerful PSW505 with it's lowered price due to it being discontinued.

·
Registered
111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/18198100

As stated before I am not interested in the F12 due to the lower price point of the VK-12. I am only interested in the VK-12 or the more powerful PSW505 with it's lowered price due to closeout.

Spill the Beans!

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you so much for you all's opinions on this. I'll admit I tend to have a personal bias against Polk audio and believe that any sub they manufacture is pure garbage. So I at least wanted to get opinions from others on this because I am trying to be as open minded as possible. But it looks as though my gut instinct against the polk is supported here.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution23 /forum/post/18217684

It wasn't on craigslist.....it was on ebay and just sold for 227 shipped.

It was actually $227.73 shipped.

Lol. I knew someone would think that VK-12 sub on ebay was the one I was talking about. But it's not. I have learned in the past to never, EVER mention a good deal on any electronics equipment on ebay. Because the snipers will come out at the last minute. As they did in that auction. Also that guy had very low feedback and one of his previous customers already stated that he lied about another item being new in his previous auction. I would not touch that sub with a 10 foot pole.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't know. I am a huge bic fan. But $250 shipped for a 300 rms, 12" sub does seem quite the bargain. Even if it is from Polk Audio. I wonder how the Infinity PS-212 compares?

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Meh. I may just get the Bic V-1220 when it comes back in stock for $176. I've always preferred downfiring subs anyways. I just wish Bic did not discontinue the V-1520.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/18217946

I don't know. I am a huge bic fan. But $250 shipped for a 300 rms, 12" sub does seem quite the bargain. Even if it is from Polk Audio. I wonder how the Infinity PS-212 compares?

Meijer has the BIC VK-12 on sale right now for 252. It was like $275 shipped to my door, plus I got a free $20 gift card. Can't beat that deal with a stick....and a full warranty.

·
Banned
2,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesolution23 /forum/post/18220009

Meijer has the BIC VK-12 on sale right now for 252. It was like $275 shipped to my door, plus I got a free $20 gift card. Can't beat that deal with a stick....and a full warranty.

But how does it sound? There never, ever seems to be any reviews online for this sub. I personally like a little headroom and never purchase a sub that I have to go over half power to shake a medium to large room. Does this sub fit the bill?

And it is good with music. Or more geared towards mainly HT use?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yet to be determined. I am partial to music first myself.

The reason you don't find reviews is because people are brand prejudice. If this sub was $500+, and a few of us got on here and raved about it there would be a ton of reviews stating it was the most amazing thing since the invention of peanut butter and jelly.

These online retailers, I think called sounddistributors, that are pushing this PA120 are only doing it because their profit margin is higher on that cheap ass sub. I called them a few weeks ago just to see what they would say and get their UNPROFESSIONAL opinion and they immediately pushed this PA120 and told me to come to this forum and read the reviews. He then went on further to say "you don't want the VK-12, it doesn't have a real amp and only has a circuit board". I guess he was used to talking to peopl who don't know anything about electronics because the next thing I said stumped him. I said "what do you mean? It doesn't have a heatsink??....all amps are just boards". He didn't have an answer and couldn't back up his statement. Then he went on to say "the VK-12 doesn't even have a BASH amp....it has a BASH designed amp". I stumped him again by asking "so your advertisements on your website and all across the internet are wrong that state it's a BASH amp...your website states it's a BASH amp and so does the BIC website." He had no answer. This is the reason the VK-12 isn't being bought and reviewed. These douchebags are steering people away from it so they can profit more.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts