AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the sun starts to come out, it's time to hit the road.. and as oxymoronic as it sounds I know that there are some fitness freaks among the movie lovers. I'm trying to grow my collection of bicycling movies.. and need help putting together a good list of movies that revolve around cycling.. or at least have something to do with it... Here's what I've come up with so far.

American Flyers - Kevin Costner... mediocre movie, GREAT bicycling movie.. :)

Breaking Away - One of my personal favorites...

Rad - can't tell you how many times I watched this movie growing up... such a shame that it's not on dvd... yet

Pee Wee's Big Adventure - Tim Burton's first feature film, at least you know his career had to get better... but it is all about the bike.

E.T. - So it's a flying bike????

Finding Forrestor - Great scene at the end with Sean Connery on his bike..

Any others come to mind???

Thanks..... and keep the rubber side down.

- Ben.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Beijing Bicycle

The Bicycle Thief

Queen Video "Bicycle" - greatest nude bicycle scenes ever filmed :D

Here in Arizona, all year round is bicycle season.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid

Flashdance

and millions of films made around the world that you'd never get to see...

fuad

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by WriteSimple
Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid
Thanks, now I'm going to be humming '"Raindrops keep fallin' on my head" for the rest of the day.:p

·
Registered
205 Posts
What about:

The Goonnies (gotta love bicycle gangs)

Rushmore (tenuous, I know)

Quicksilver (Kevin Bacon)

Wizard of Oz

·
Registered
322 Posts
1. IMDB search for bicycle in plot summary showed 87 entries. Several of those are mentioned above.

2. Others of interest include: "Bicycle Corps: America's Black Army on Wheels, The" (2000) (TV). Plot summary as follows: "At the end of the 19th century, many military experts believed that the bicycle could replace the horse as a means of transporting troops. The colored 25th Infantry was chosen to test that theory. On June 14, 1897 a small group of African-American soldiers departed Fort Missoula, Montana. Forty-one days and over 1,900 miles later, they reached their destination--St. Louis, Missouri--after traveling over every possible type of rugged terrain and enduring every kind of bad weather. This documentary film looks at how the Bicycle Corps came into being, and details the progress and hardships of their amazing journey." See more at: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0279689

3. Also, "6 Day Bike Rider" (1934). Plot summary: "A film about an American fad of the 1930's. Small-town bumpkin Winfred Simpson (Joe E. Brown) is annoyed by the attention paid to his girl, Phyllis Jenkins (Maxine Doyle), by a hotshot trick cyclist. When Phyliss turns Winfred down, he hits the road to become a success at the big 6-Day bike race. He meets Clinton Hemmings (Frank McHugh) and they become partners as it is a two-man event, and get practice time for the race by getting jobs as bicycle messengers. Winfred gets into a fight and is hauled off to the pokey. The race starts without him, with Clinton riding alone. Finally getting released from jail, Winfred races on a "borrowed" bike to the velodrome and enters the race just in time. An ether-saturated cloth, caught in his rear-wheel spokes, aids him as the other riders are overcome from the fumes when they try to pass him." See more at: http://us.imdb.com/Title?0024809

4. Also, "Bicycleran" (1987). Plot is: "The wife of Nasim, an Afghan immigrant in Iran, is gravely ill. He needs money to pay for her care, but his day labor does not pay enough. A friend connects Nasim to a two-bit promoter who sells tickets to watch Nasim ride a bicycle continuously for a week. The promoter brings in sick and aged spectators, haranguing them to find hope in Nasim's strength. Aided by his son, who feeds him as he rides, Nasim grinds out the days and shivering nights. Local officials believe this may be a plot and Nasim may be a spy; they try to sabotage him as do those who bet he won't finish the week.." See http://us.imdb.com/Title?0092651

5. Also, "Forest for the Trees" (1998). Plot: "Stressed out law student Zach McAllister (Patrick Egan) takes a five day bicycle trip through the peaceful autumn woods of Western Maryland with his wife, his lover, and his lover's boyfriend. Not exactly the getaway vacation he planned. Along the way, they encounter everything you'd expect on a camping trip - rain, infidelity, and the realization that a truly healthy relationship is just about impossible to find." See http://us.imdb.com/Title?0165291

6. Finally, that beloved classic, "Kilpatrick's Ride" (1899). Plot: "Kilpatrick, the one-legged bicycle rider in his sensational feat of riding down a long flight of steps on a bicycle. Inasmuch as it takes but 12 seconds to make the ride, the film is printed also in reverse, and the forward and backward actions are printed as one scene." Don't believe me? Look it up at http://us.imdb.com/Title?0252601

·
Registered
468 Posts
The Great Escape - James Coburn escaping from WWII Germany on a bicycle.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
"2 Seconds" is a good bicycling movie, as is "Beijing Bicycle" already mentioned above.

"A Beautiful Mind" has a good bicycling scene.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Muppet Movie

Sound of Music

Run Lola Run.. which leads me to the observation:

Lots of other European and Asian movies could be included because travel by bike is normal transportation. In American movies (with nods to the above mentioned) bikes are rarely used.

On this side of the pond, maybe we'll see "The Lance Armstrong Story" someday.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The remake of Maverick - when Mel Gibson entertains the Indian children by being the first one to try to ride the bike.

A couple other movies that have been metioned here are my favorites. I was attending IU when the Breaking Away was made. Great move but I never heard the term "cutters" while I was there.

Also, The Great Escape. I picked this up from the Bargain Bin the other day and have never seen a movie in such a wide format. It appeared to be at least 3 times as wide as tall. For anyone else that has this dvd is this correct. It only filled about 1/2 the height of my screen on a 16:9 tv. Also I couldn't determine if the picture appeared to be somewhat squished or if it just appeared that way because it was so wide. In zoom mode the picture looked more "normal".

·
Registered
977 Posts
When the heart of Winter keeps my road bikes out of comission, I usually

hit the indoor treads in my livingroom while I'm going through my favorite

t.v. shows on dvd.

That being said, it's a must to include the complete Prisoner dvd set, which regularly featured the old fashioned bicycle's with the enormous front wheels that were often seen in "The Village", not to mention being used as the symbolic logo placed as badges on all members of the village.

Howie

·
Registered
667 Posts
Exercise bike in the theater room?

DVD player (widescreen of course) installed on your bicycle?

Oh wait I see the point of this thread!!

"In and Out" (Adults on bikes)

"Hearts in Atlantis" (kids)

"Stand By Me" (kids)

"Airplane" (quote: "flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.")

Paul

·
Registered
976 Posts
Here's a few that are missing from imdb keyword search http://us.imdb.com/List?tv=off&&keywords=bicycle

Icicle Thief

Temptress Moon

Twin Falls Idaho

If you consider any 1940's movie with teenagers, suburbs, or a paperboy, you will probably have many more candidates. For instance, The Human Comedy would be a good film to check.

In one of John Cusack's many, many films, a kid on a bicycle gets beat up. Who remembers the name of that film?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Quote:
When the heart of Winter keeps my road bikes out of comission
I feel your pain --as I cycle through across the desert roads of Arizona in winter on my road bike. 'Course, you might have it made in August...:rolleyes:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.