AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do you think big 1080p screens are coming to an end? It seems like all the new sets 70 inches and larger are going 4k. Have they announced any 70+ 1080ps sets for 2015? I haven't seen any.

This concerns me a bit because as a cord cutter that just sticks a computer to his TV, 4K isn't handled by video cards too well at this moment. If you want to run a game, you have to spend a bunch of money on SLI for mediocre playback or turn the resolution down. Plus at my distance I watch from the screen, I don't really need 4k till I start getting above 100 inches. So a 4K TV to me, just means spending more money on something that slows your machine down. The future of TVs don't look bright from my perspective.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Do you think big 1080p screens are coming to an end? It seems like all the new sets 70 inches and larger are going 4k. Have they announced any 70+ 1080ps sets for 2015? I haven't seen any.

This concerns me a bit because as a cord cutter that just sticks a computer to his TV, 4K isn't handled by video cards too well at this moment. If you want to run a game, you have to spend a bunch of money on SLI for mediocre playback or turn the resolution down. Plus at my distance I watch from the screen, I don't really need 4k till I start getting above 100 inches. So a 4K TV to me, just means spending more money on something that slows your machine down. The future of TVs don't look bright from my perspective.
I'm a cord cutter and I'm not worried about it. It's not like your dvd or blu-ray collection is going to be unusable. There will be up converters etc. Most people using 4K tv's now are up converting 1080 content and think it looks even better. Broadcasting stations are working on upgrading to 4k as well. Now if you want to play games at native 4k resolutions, that might be a tough call.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Buy your 1080P now and by the time you need a new TV, you'll have a new computer that will handle 4K easily.
This was my plan but since input lag was extremely important this left only 2 sets that I still was very wishy-washy on.

However I didn't know at the time this set will be out in around 2 months..... Sony KDL-75W850C 75 inch. Since it's a Sony I'm hoping it'll have low input lag, it's backlit and the center stand won't force me to have to buy another TV stand. All items that were making me wishy-washy are gone :) (Crosses fingers on low input lag)

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have a computer in my bedroom with Fios cable card and WMC. I can record HBO anytime. I been hoping to get a 70 inch 4K TV to handle my computer. My LG LV9500 panel went bad and I got a buyout from LG,I am waiting for the check. Video cards are coming out for 4K soon and Intel Skylake chips will handle 4K easily.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts