AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I have seen something I have never seen before. CBS promo commercials in HD and a promo for Big Brother 9! So this raises the question again: Will Big Brother be in HD finally?

I doubt it as I just saw a commercial for tonights Amazing Race, and that commercial was also in HD. I guess CBS is now doing what NBC does and promotes 4:3 SD shows with 16:9 HD commercials.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikmars /forum/post/12876396

Today I have seen something I have never seen before. CBS promo commercials in HD and a promo for Big Brother 9! So this raises the question again: Will Big Brother be in HD finally?

It shouldn't raise the question for anyone who reads here. Big Brother will most likely not be in HD.

Quote:
I doubt it as I just saw a commercial for tonights Amazing Race, and that commercial was also in HD. I guess CBS is now doing what NBC does and promotes 4:3 SD shows with 16:9 HD commercials.

CBS has been doing this for years with Survivor.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H /forum/post/12876452

It shouldn't raise the question for anyone who reads here. Big Brother will most likely not be in HD.

CBS has been doing this for years with Survivor.

Normally I would fully agree, but then again, there was the same debate for American Gladiators on NBC and thats in HD

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikmars /forum/post/12876396

Hold on a second. Are we sure these commercialsa re 16:9 HD or rather 16:9 stretched SD?

I saw a Survivor commercial during the AFC title game today it was clear that it was 16:9 SD (possibly stretched, but definitely NOT HD).

Somehow I doubt these commercials are actually in HD. What I saw in a Survivor commercial today looked horrible as usual, it just happened to be 16:9.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I would love it if they would do it this season. However, it's very doubtful. I'm sure they'd get more viewers on their 4:3 programs by switching them to HD, guess they have yet to get that memo.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 /forum/post/12876824

Hold on a second. Are we sure these commercialsa re 16:9 HD or rather 16:9 stretched SD?

I saw a Survivor commercial during the AFC title game today it was clear that it was 16:9 SD (possibly stretched, but definitely NOT HD).

Somehow I doubt these commercials are actually in HD. What I saw in a Survivor commercial today looked horrible as usual, it just happened to be 16:9.

All of the video looked like it was proportional. So I am guessing the the video is zoomed to 16:9 and not stretched. Considering CBS seems to do nothing in 16:9 SD I doubt that they are 16:9 SD but rather 16:9 HD using SD video that is zoomed.

Fox uses or has used 16x9 SD for their promos, even for HD shows.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/12876855

All of the video looked like it was proportional. So I am guessing the the video is zoomed to 16:9 and not stretched. Considering CBS seems to do nothing in 16:9 SD I doubt that they are 16:9 SD but rather 16:9 HD using SD video that is zoomed.

Fox uses or has used 16x9 SD for their promos, even for HD shows.

Proportional yes, but HIGH DEFINITION? Watch it again (I'm sure it will come on again or check your DVR's) and see if it is HIGH DEFINITION. Looked very SD to me, and your statement that it is 16:9 HD using SD video that is zoomed makes no sense.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 /forum/post/12876872

Proportional yes, but HIGH DEFINITION? Watch it again (I'm sure it will come on again or check your DVR's) and see if it is HIGH DEFINITION. Looked very SD to me, and your statement that it is 16:9 HD using SD video that is zoomed makes no sense.

My statement makes perfect sense.

The promo is made up of 4:3 SD video that is zoomed to 16:9. The promo is mastered in HD, however, not all elements of the promo are HD.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homcom /forum/post/12876893

My statement makes perfect sense.

The promo is made up of 4:3 SD video that is zoomed to 16:9. The promo is mastered in HD, however, not all elements of the promo are HD.
When I watch that Survivor commercial, I see a crap SD picture (referring to actual footage of the show, that's all that counts anyways). I'm not seeing a Survivor Commercial in crystal clear HD. That's my point.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Also all the clips of the show were from last season which wasn't in HD. I highly doubt it will go HD because of the cost vs. benefit of this move.

I wouldn't mind seeing more 16:9 SD though, you would think that would be a relatively cheap move and improves the picture a little.

·
Premium Member
6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy97 /forum/post/12877192

When I watch that Survivor commercial, I see a crap SD picture (referring to actual footage of the show, that's all that counts anyways). I'm not seeing a Survivor Commercial in crystal clear HD. That's my point.

Thats what I see as well, the zoomed SD video does look like crap. However, the promo is mastered in HD.

It is just like Sportscenter in HD, the show is produced in HD, however, not all elements of the show are HD.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,622 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikmars /forum/post/12876795

Normally I would fully agree, but then again, there was the same debate for American Gladiators on NBC and thats in HD

Different network.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Of every reality show out there, this is the absolute LAST show I would think would go HD. The amount of raw footage would require n times amount more video storage than they already use.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I would be happy if they at least shot and presented in 16:9 sd

Do they even sell 4:3 TVs anymore?

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 /forum/post/12879734

I would be happy if they at least shot and presented in 16:9 sd

Do they even sell 4:3 TVs anymore?

Unfortunately yes there are still a few for those who are truly ignorant, and all the ones they do sell have a digital tuner. I wonder if those people will be annoyed when they get a 20" 4x3 and have this small picture thanks to the black bars on everything. HaHa, they deserve it if they still buy that.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
There are a couple of "old" guys at work that are perfectly happy with their 4:3 sets and don't understand why movies are presented in their original format because they don't like seeing the black bars on top and bottom!

·
Registered
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSF_LA /forum/post/12883481

Big Brother 9 will be in 4:3 SD.

This year will be the last where that is acceptable. After 2008 is over I won't watch any current shows that aren't in 16x9 HD. So they need to dump those SD cams this summer!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.