AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DALLAS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 14, 2003--The 1394 Trade Association completed its most recent Compliance and Interoperability Workshop in Tokyo earlier this month, and expects a significant number of new consumer and computer systems will earn the group's Compliance Logo once results are compiled.

The Tokyo workshop was attended by almost two dozen companies. It featured the latest semiconductor products, computer peripherals, consumer electronics, and industrial products, described by Richard Mourn, the Trade Association's Compliance Chairman, as "the widest variety of products we have seen to date."

"With all major market segments present including consumer electronics, computer, computer peripheral, industrial, and professional AV it is easy to see just how mainstream 1394 has become," said Mourn, who is president of Quantum Parametrics, provider of test services to the 1394 Trade Association.

As final workshop results are compiled over the next few weeks, it appears several devices will earn the 1394 TA's compliance logo. At the Grand Melee, typically held at the end of the compliance testing sessions, participants connected a total of 63 devices, which is the maximum number that are allowed to operate simultaneously on a single 1394 bus. At the same time, video was streamed into an Apple Powerbook equipped with FireWire 800, the latest version of the IEEE 1394 standard.

The 1394 Trade Association will increase the number of products with the compliance products at the next workshop, scheduled for Bellevue, Washington, August 11-13, 2003. Because the logo indicates that a product has passed a robust suite of technical tests, the Trade Association anticipates the number of participants to grow quickly as several new exams come on line. These tests will allow compliance logo testing for DTV/HDTV, DVHS, D-STB and AV-HDD products.

The 1394 Trade Association is a worldwide organization dedicated to the proliferation, advancement, and interoperability of the IEEE 1394 standard. Products using 1394 are marketed under the brand names FireWire and i.LINK. For more information please visit www.1394ta.org

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Kipp,

I've been always wondering if you just search for the new threads that contain "firewire" or "1394"? :D

Kirill

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Kipp needs to keep up that Firewire cheerleading as he is (a) a big supporter of the technology and (b) not shrill and clueless.

Mark

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
My partner and I attended the previous plugfest back

in February. We had a great time with the Apple kids.

Our single-chip platform was decoding a DVD from a

DVD-ROM drive, re-encoding to DV and then sending

the DV bitstream over 1394 to the Firewire 800 Apple

notebook.

There weren't as many companies present (the Asian

sited plugfests are much better attended), so we only

got up to about 35 nodes during the "grand melee".

Ron

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Sorry Kipp, didn't mean to damn with faint praise. Was actually thinking about a slightly related issue as I was type while simultaneously trying to say something supportive of you.

So let me add this: (c) Also a good guy an a smart guy.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Gee, can you imagine the carnage if 169time showed up at one of these "Grand Melee" events?

Edit: I posted that earlier tonight before reading over in the HDTV Recorder Forum that the new beta was available for the AVX-1. It appears that the 169time product has become more consumer-friendly and not-for-hobbiests-only. But, I can understand it if 169time wouldn't recommend any other Firewire devices be connected to the recording chain.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
For better or worse, DirecTV seems to care very little about what Dish is doing vis a vis technology.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, I know nothing coming out of Dish will be of Tivo-like quality so I will be mentally tortured if I have to choose between Dish's better offerings and DirecTV's better hardware.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by merc
What is the future and outlook for HD-DVD or upsampling(to 1080i)DVD players which have a firewire output?
Firewire outputs for the new crop of upsampling DVD players don't make any sense--Firewire is a compressed stream, so the player wouldn't have an opportunity to do any upscaling from the 480i/60 MPEG2 decoder output going out a Firewire port. To date, I haven't seen any stand-alone 480i/60 Firewire-based DVD players (I've seen a few PC-focused ones), although they are perfectly legit to market (so long as they apply DTCP Copy Never to the stream). One would think that Mitusbishi would tee one up, if only to help push it's Firewire-based HDTVs and/or it's PM...missed upsell opportunity in my book.

As for the display pathways for HD-DVD (I assume that when you say "HD-DVD" that you mean the *real* HD-DVD, a medium for prerecorded HD content a la today's DVD), no one except Kipp knows what they will be. :) Seriously, Firewire/DTCP *could* be an option, as they could port the compressed 720p/1080i/1080p (whatever they select as the native format) via Firewire. Of course, there are some critical variables that would leave me to believe that you *won't* see Firewire on HD-DVD. First, it's a read only format, so there's no need to offer a bidirectional interface. Second, and more importantly, there is a VERY strong likelihood that something other than MPEG2 will be used as the codec, meaning that current Firewire-based display devices (which use embedded MPEG2 decoders) wouldn't know what to do with the compressed video stream.

As a betting man, I'm going to go with DVI/HDCP and analog component for HD-DVD, with some useless juiced-up Macrovision support required for the latter pathway. I fear, however, that it could just be DVI/HDCP (HDMI). More DVI-capable HDTVs will be sold in the next two years than all non-DVI HDTVs sold since the introduction of HD (based on current projections, HDTV sales in the next two years will be greater than all HDTV sales to date, and DVI/HDCP is on just about every new HDTV starting now), meaning that if HD-DVD hits the streets in two years with only DVI/HDCP (HDMI) support, they would still be targeting the majority of HD owners. That's speculation, mind you--just trying to save Kipp from feeling compelled to point that out for everyone.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
If the new upsampling DVD players are any sign, there will be no more source components produced which allow HD rez signals to exit via component video outputs. Sadly, DVI-HDCP looks to be the ONLY way to utilize 720p or 1080i images on any HDTV. The MPAA/BPDG has taken steps to make sure we lose our "fair use" home recording rights while needing to replace our new HDTVs... In drafts of proposed recommendations from the BPDG to the CPTWG, they referred to this as "obsoleting".

I am still keeping some hope alive that Mitsubitshi may release some firewire HD-DVDs so that I can at least run that firewire output through my Samsung T-165 to my HDTV using the T165s component outputs...?

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
merc,

Last time I checked, full resolution analog outputs were standard fare on OTA HD STBs, DirecTV HD STBs, Dish HD STBs, D-VHS decks and D-Theater decks, so let's not get too carried away here.

The new crop of upsampling DVD players aren't a sign of the Apocalypse, they're exactly the opposite--the provisions for analog and digital output have been "upgraded" since the original CSS license specs were devised (i.e., 480p analog output support was not part of the original CSS license spec, nor where digital outputs of any kind, but they were added after the original spec was released). The only reason that analog output is currently limited to 480p for DVD players is that the CSS encryption license requires Macrovision to be applied to CSS protected content, and Macrovision doesn't have a version that works for 720p or 1080i material, upsampled or not.

If Mitsubishi wanted to build a normal DVD player with Firewire outputs today, there's nothing stopping them--but they would be required by the same CSS license to apply DTCP Copy Never to the Firewire output. In the same breath, Mitsubishi, like any licensee, will be required to follow the HD-DVD application procedural specs in the future, whatever they may be. If, for example, Firewire is not part of the spec, that means that no one can legally build a Firewire-capable HD-DVD player. Likewise, if DVI/HDCP were not part of the spec, no one would be allowed to build a DVI/HDCP-capable HD-DVD player.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.