Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...op+of+the+Week

Quote:
Abstract: It's a classic win-win, says UPN Affiliate Vice President Sandy Pastoor. UPN expands its coverage and small-market TV broadcasters put their digital stations to work as UPN affiliates, she says. "This is a very solid business ... for them and us." Today, Young Broadcasting's ABC affiliate, WTVO(TV) Rockford, Ill.
Does anyone have a better way of putting this? Does this story indicate they are using multicasting to get their signal out there? We do not have an UPN affiliate here and would like one.

Can anyone give me more info on this?

·
Registered
14,479 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timmy1376
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/ind...op+of+the+Week

Does anyone have a better way of putting this? Does this story indicate they are using multicasting to get their signal out there? We do not have an UPN affiliate here and would like one.

Can anyone give me more info on this?
This is being done today.

The ABC affiliate in Eastern NC, WCTI 12 put their DTV station (DT 48) on the air in 1999 with one subchannel simulcasting their analog signal and added a second subchannel to broadcast UPN since there is no UPN affilate in that market. The cable companies are picking up the UPN subchannel as a separate station and converting it to analog for the cable .

In the markets that do not have an affiliate, that works. But there are not many of markets that do not have all the affiliates. If you market doesn't then call your stations and give them the idea.

·
Registered
272 Posts
In New York City,

FOX digital is showing a UPN feed (WWOR 9) on 5-2

5-1 FOX (WNYW-DT)

5-2 UPN (WWOR-DT)

This is only temporary, until UPN get back on the air in New York City, after losing their transmission facilities during the WTC tragedy.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by foxeng
This is being done today.

In the markets that do not have an affiliate, that works. But there are not many of markets that do not have all the affiliates. If you market doesn't then call your stations and give them the idea.
We have neither a WB, PAX, or UPN affiliate in the Topeka, KS DMA. We have a low power Fox that shows "some" of the UPN content, but only 3 or 4 shows.

I long for a WB affiliate much more than an UPN.

Our local ABC partners with Cox cable to bring a cable only WB, so perhaps they could do WB and mulitcast, since they are only 480i anyway.

tim

·
Registered
17,677 Posts
They're talking about 480i UPN affiliation anyway, not High-Definition subchannels. The fact that UPN's not showing HD is why the plan is so popular--no one's missing anything.

When they start doing HD, these stations might run a 480p subchannel instead of 480i, especially the ABC and FOX ones.

- Trip

·
Registered
462 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by timmy1376
Brad,

Any news of Directv getting the locals up?

Any news of Topeka getting an WB affiliate?

tim
Topeka locals won't happen on DIRECTV till the launch of the new satellite. I think it has been pushed back till early next year.

With over 75% of Topeka on COX cable where they get a WB, I don't think anyone will invest in a actual station for them. I think KTKA is barely holding on by a shoe string and the have popular ABC programming and the most powerful station in the state.

BTW, I think WIBW is handling sales for WB on cable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.