AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to get a new projector. I would like something that can handle a moderate ambient light load......multiuse room situation.

I want at least 3000 lumens. I would like it to be good with sat tv,

DVD and especially HD (ota and DTV). I have been eyeing the Sanyo

XP55 or the Infocus LP790. Any suggestions?

· Registered
372 Posts
Sanyo's XP-45 & XP-46 (4x3 XGA) projectors are definately screen burner's (@3500 & 4100 lumens respectively). They are reasonably quiet for a high-lumen projector and have decent contrast (for a LCD). Of course the XP-55 @ 4500 lumens is brighter and has even better CR...

Thump

· Registered
40 Posts
Da-lite has a good article about ambient light

http://www.da-lite.com/education/ang...ails&issueid=8

For a quick example, suppose foot lamberts of peak white is 50, and of black is .1, giving a contrast ratio of 500:1 in a completely dark room. If the ambient light contributes 1 foot lambert to the screen, contrast ratio for a front projector is reduced to 46:1, while contrast ratio for the rear projector is reduced to 167. (Those numbers are meant for illustration only and do not reflect actual conditions expected.)

Albert

· Registered
1,001 Posts
I've had both the older DP8000 (same as LP790), as well as the new HB version. They're pretty nice projectors. The new one has 3300 ANSI lumens, 950:1 contrast, MLA equipped LCD (for less screendoor), DVI w/HDCP, etc.

· Registered
4,737 Posts
Some of us are considering stacking 2 Sony HS20s for close to 3000 lumens, lots of pixels, and maybe 1000:1 CR (depending on iris mode). I don't know how well it will work since I don't think there is any lens-shift, but it would seem like just using one when the lights are out and 2 when there is ambient light would work best.

--Darin

· Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gotapex
I've had both the older DP8000 (same as LP790), as well as the new HB version. They're pretty nice projectors. The new one has 3300 ANSI lumens, 950:1 contrast, MLA equipped LCD (for less screendoor), DVI w/HDCP, etc.
What is the HB version?

· Registered
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Gooberhead
What is the HB version?
They didn't change the general projector name, however, if you look at the part number, there's an HB added to the end (High Brightness).

Old, non-HB version:

3000 ANSI lumens

800:1 on/off contrast

270w SHP Bulb

New, HB version:

3300 ANSI lumens

950:1 contrast

250w UHP bulb

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.