AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I don't post much, that I know, but I had to tell what a true professional, as well as extremely personal, person Jeff is.

I had Jeff over to my house to perform a calibration on my PDP-6010FD, that I bought new in 2007, along with audio on my Denon 3808ci w/ Polk RM90 center and surrounds, Polk DSW400 sub, and Oppo blue ray, and Charter HD.

He took about 5 1/2 hours, explaining all along what the was doing, letting me bug him with millions of questions including future tech, all the time getting this perfect.

The display changes he made on the Pioneer were nothing short of fabulous, and what really knocked my socks off was what he did for my sound stage with the modest equipment I have.

Jeff, thank you so much for fitting me into your schedule. What you did here will outlast the equipment.

Tim Applegate

I'm attaching the report if anyone is interest in seeing the results.

Attachments

Reactions: ConnecTEDDD

·
Registered
9,719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim_A  /t/1522235/big-kuddos-to-jeff-meier#post_24473340

I don't post much, that I know, but I had to tell what a true professional, as well as extremely personal, person Jeff is.

Professional Tools in expert hands like Jeff's can transform the display performance to a new level! ...congrats for your new TV

·
Registered
43 Posts

I had Jeff over to my house to perform a calibration on my PDP-6010FD, that I bought new in 2007, along with audio on my Denon 3808ci w/ Polk RM90 center and surrounds, Polk DSW400 sub, and Oppo blue ray, and Charter HD.

He took about 5 1/2 hours, explaining all along what the was doing, letting me bug him with millions of questions including future tech, all the time getting this perfect.
The display changes he made on the Pioneer were nothing short of fabulous, and what really knocked my socks off was what he did for my sound stage with the modest equipment I have.

Jeff, thank you so much for fitting me into your schedule. What you did here will outlast the equipment.

Tim Applegate

I'm attaching the report if anyone is interest in seeing the results.

AccuCalCalibrationReport.pdf 492k .pdf file
It's awesome to read so many reviews that say almost the exact same thing about Jeff Meier. He is coming out to CA for his "west tour" in Jan 2015 and the next 6 months are going to be tough!! lol. I know with almost certainty that my modest home theatre system will be transformed almost completely after Jeff is done.

·
Registered
880 Posts

I don't post much, that I know, but I had to tell what a true professional, as well as extremely personal, person Jeff is. I had Jeff perform a calibration on my PDP-6010FD, that I bought new in 2007, along with audio on my Denon 3808ci w/ Polk RM90 center and surrounds, Polk DSW400 sub, and Oppo blue ray, and Charter HD.

He took about 5 1/2 hours, explaining all along what the was doing, letting me bug him with millions of questions including future tech, all the time getting this perfect. The display changes he made on the Pioneer were nothing short of fabulous, and what really knocked my socks off was what he did for my sound stage with the modest equipment I have.
Yup, that's Jeff. A really good guy, and an absolute mad scientist on color and light. To anyone that hasn't had a superb calibration done to their system yet, google Jeff's name or AccuCal, see when he's coming to your area, and then watch what an incredible difference a mad scientist makes. Nice post Tim. Happy trails UMR.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have to chime in. Several years ago I had Jeff come out while on tour to calibrate my Epson 6500 projector. It was okay but my golf greens looked a little too gray and no matter what I tried with "WOW" and other disks, I could not get it right. Jeff got it perfect and the great picture withstood a couple different lamp replacements without degrading at all.

The Epson was fried in a storm this summer and I replaced it with the upgrade 3D Epson 6030. The picture out of the box, especially in THX mode, was fabulous. If I had not been aware of what Jeff could do I would be more than pleased with my picture as is, especially with my Darbee making the resolution nearly flawless. Nonetheless, I called Jeff right away and told him I wanted him to calibrate this projector because no matter how good it is, I know for a fact he can make it even better. If I wasn't half deaf I would have him do my audio system too!!

·
Registered
880 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I have to chime in. Several years ago I had Jeff come out while on tour to calibrate my Epson 6500 projector. It was okay but my golf greens looked a little too gray and no matter what I tried with "WOW" and other disks, I could not get it right. Jeff got it perfect and the great picture withstood a couple different lamp replacements without degrading at all.

The Epson was fried in a storm this summer and I replaced it with the upgrade 3D Epson 6030. The picture out of the box, especially in THX mode, was fabulous. If I had not been aware of what Jeff could do I would be more than pleased with my picture as is, especially with my Darbee making the resolution nearly flawless. Nonetheless, I called Jeff right away and told him I wanted him to calibrate this projector because no matter how good it is, I know for a fact he can make it even better. If I wasn't half deaf I would have him do my audio system too!!
Nice post. I like that you'll get to watch your new 6030 for a while before Jeff hits it for you. The more familiar you are with 'before' the more astonishing the 'after' is. He'll do separate settings for 2d and 3d for you too which is key. Post back once you get to the 'after' part.
😎

·
Registered
675 Posts
Nice post. I like that you'll get to watch your new 6030 for a while before Jeff hits it for you. The more familiar you are with 'before' the more astonishing the 'after' is. He'll do separate settings for 2d and 3d for you to which is key. Post back once you get to the 'after' part. 😎
Will do!

·
Registered
880 Posts
... I like that you'll get to watch your new 6030 for a while before Jeff hits it for you. The more familiar you are with 'before' the more astonishing the 'after' is. He'll do separate settings for 2d and 3d for you too which is key. Post back once you get to the 'after' part.
So Milacqua, how did it go?

·
Registered
675 Posts
So Milacqua, how did it go?
Wonderful, perfect, extraordinary, awesome, so on and so forth! Another great job for me by Jeff. This time I also had him calibrate my audio. Even with a very good A/V receiver (Yamaha RX-v777bt), I needed a lot of tweaking. Actually, I was way off. I don't hear very well as it is anymore so I relied on my receiver's YPAO settings and figured the sound I got was as good as I could get (although I really knew better). Jeff explained that the microphone they give you (which costs about twenty five bucks) can not possibly do the job of the many thousands of dollars microphones he uses, along with the software. All his audio/video cameras, microphones, and other equipment costs thousands of dollars. Combine that with his experience and when he finished even I could hear a big difference.

I have pretty good equipment including Cambridge Center, Klipsch subwoofer, custom front speakers by Jim Salk, Boston surrounds, etc. Despite the fairly high end equipment they were all from different manufactures so the sound was not seamless and I could tell that. In fact, the Yamaha YPAO findings were so far off in gain and frequency matching as to make it worthless. YPAO even missed that the ports were reversed on the Subwoofer, basically creating an out of phase bass environment to begin with.

Movies now have a much greater impact, dialogue is clearer and more upfront and even 2 channel for music listening has a broader sound stage. Even with dialogue lift on my receiver's menu enabled, the sound of speech was never in the center of my screen (my center channel speaker is located about four or five feet below screen center so it always sounded lower than it should). That always bothered me but not any more. As I said, if these 66 year old ears can tell a difference imagine what it sounds like to young, good ears! Friends that have come over for my "movie night" have complimented the sound and picture.

The calibration of the Epson 6030ub went without a hitch. It was not as far off as my audio was (as I said before, I could have lived with the Epson's picture right out of the box). Nonetheless, Jeff worked for several hours on it and once again I saw a clearer and more accurate picture, both in 2D and 3D. He established two different memory fields with different settings - one for 2D and one specifically tweaked for 3D. It took 6 or 7 hours to do the whole job and I really enjoyed being with him the whole time and discussing what he was doing and why. I'm sure he probably got tired of all the questions but he was most accommodating and cordial the entire time.

Bottom line is that although this kind of work does not come cheap, I will never have another system for long without Jeff coming in to work his magic on it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Wonderful, perfect, extraordinary, awesome, so on and so forth! Another great job for me by Jeff ... I will never have another system for long without Jeff coming in to work his magic on it.
Great details, thanks for the update. Ditto that. In fact, we had a visit from Jeff Meier earlier this month. It had been a couple of years, and our Epson 6020UB had slowly drifted to green. Jeff tuned up the video, and we had enough time left for him to work on the audio.

We had one SVS cylinder the last time he came by, and he calibrated the existing audio equipment. But then after that visit, I had installed a second subwoofer, hung some curtains, and changed out the furniture as we finished the room. After a good bit of work on my own, I thought I had the two subs working well together, but Jeff did what he does, and made a huge improvement in bass clarity and overall soundstage.

First time we hired Jeff, I had to talk my wife into it. She was hugely skeptical. Now that she's experienced the "before and after", there isn't a hint of WAF hesitation. She's as AV spoiled as I am now. :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts