AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Seems likle a single trilight source can put out up to 5000 lumens but can be ramped down to1000 lumens. Stacking tri light sources the sky is the limit. I assume how high each is run is responsible for how long the unit lasts. Says 10000 hours.

Art. Says sample light sources will start shuipping second half of 2010. Doesn`t sound like shipping projectors this year. My guess is Cedia 2011.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,748 Posts
Now that is interesting news. Where's Olson? Having a party I expect.
I wonder how much it will mean that Sony developed the lasers themselves. Hopefully others can, too. For those waiting on LED to get bright, now they can wait on Laser.

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
Wow, this is big.

"low power consumption of 110W at 5,000 lumen output has been achieved. "

Besides giving us better performance and longer life, this opens the way to much wider acceptance of FP by making them usable with ambient light, say with a 20% (.2 gain) gray screen.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
seams one laserunit have 5000 lumen but i interpret this number as the laserunit "itself" not the pr. lumen out.

question will be how much light out "the pr. have" with one 5000 lumen

laserunit?

as 30% was normally for 3 chip dlps that 5000 lumen laserunit have just 1500 lumen.

good for home cinema in 2d but cinemas if my calculation was right need a 20 stack at least than to do bright 3d.

big question are how much such a unit cost?

a 3000 watt xenon lamp cost $1000 + some $ 3000 for the lamphouse and so on.

if you compare this lets guess $4000 with 20 laserunits this unit need to cost only $ 200 to not increase the pr. cost by a lot.

what is when each of this units will cost $500 or even more.......

one or two unit for a high end 3 chip home cinema pr. its may not a big

problem but in cinemas this "can be" a problem.

but all this is very very good news!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Does the power output of the R (10W), G (6W) and B (5W) need to be balanced to get to D65? In other words would they have to throttle the red and blue down, so green ~ 70%, red~ 21%, and blue ~9%?

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
And Wolfgang let's not forget that the quoted 10K hours lifespan actually represents a 50% decline in output, unlike the 5 or 10 percent quoted for the recent LED projectors. So calculations have to be made based on considerable shorter usage than 10K hours, or a larger amount of modules.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Maybe I need to start believing it might happen again

·
Registered
198 Posts
Still no green laser diode from Sony?

Sumitomo last year had a major breakthrough and developed a green laser diode. Maybe JVC will partner them?

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Ohlson is late to the party.

Sony is not alone.

Laser light engines are aiming to replace the xenon arc lamps used in digital cinema projectors today. Lasers could solve the brightness problem with 3D and produce great brightness at huge screens for 2D.

LED dlp vs Laser lcos the battle we have all been waiting for a long time.

I am pretty sure we will see something from Sony at Cedia using lasers. However shipping will not be as quick as in the past.

FINALLY!

Lee is bringing the Champagne due to my gif-animation incompetency.

·
Banned
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohlson /forum/post/18299424

Ohlson is late to the party.

Sony is not alone.

Laser light engines are aiming to replace the xenon arc lamps used in digital cinema projectors today. Lasers could solve the brightness problem with 3D and produce great brightness at huge screens for 2D.

LED dlp vs Laser lcos the battle we have all been waiting for a long time.

I am pretty sure we will see something from Sony at Cedia using lasers. However shipping will not be as quick as in the past.

FINALLY!

Anybody that can provide a Champagne bottle gif animation?

DONE!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
Ohlson,

Have you seen a laser projector in action?

I realize they can vary in speckling effect, but one that I saw had what I believe was speckling effect that to my eyes was multiple times worse than any rainbow effect I've ever seen with DLPs. I've heard that some people are more susceptible to the speckling issue than others, so wonder if we may be going in the direction where some of us are really bothered by a fundamental issue that most people don't even notice. I'm thinking like rainbows for some or vertical banding was for LCDs. I remember when I posted about vertical banding with LCDs years ago and one guy who had never seen it looked for it once and couldn't stop seeing it after that. But fortunately the LCD projector manufacturers seem to have addressed that issue for the most part.

With the laser RPTV from Mitsubishi I don't remember seeing speckling, but I've heard that they do something the move the screen to reduce it. With a front projector that might be harder.

I won't get too excited about the laser projectors unless they have some major improvement to the speckling issue over a prototype thing I saw. If they reduced the effect to only 10% of what I saw that might be enough for me, but not sure.

--Darin

Reactions: Ericglo

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
Darin

Lets be an optimist for a few hours.

No , I haven´t seen a live laser projector but I think there is potential.

The time to market has probably been scaling the light output and eliminating speckle. I am hoping the nature of the complex lcos light engines will reduce speckle.

The brightness is promising in my opinion.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
a laser projector that projects the laser light via an imager and a scanning architecture onto the screen has the speckle issues to varying extents. however it cannot be (to the best of my knowledge) class 1 laser safe.

most of these displays are using the laser as purely a light source and then de-collimate the light. so it is just a far more efficient light source. with potentially a much more accurate gamut.

i want to be totally clear that this is my perception... i could be wrong and if so i will remove post etc...

like this one.
http://www.casio.com/products/Projec...ctors/XJ-A130/

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
The Casio doesn't even use it as a direct lightsource EDIT: for green, the blue laser light passes through part of the phosphorwheel and is redirected by a mirror to the DMD it uses a blue laser to shine onto a green phosphor wheel with blue passthrough and a bit without phosphor, the light emitted by the phosphor is directed at the DMD, the RED LED is shining directly at the DMD. So no worries about the size, power, nor powerrequirements, and cost of a dedicated green laser.

At least this is how the diagram in the brochure that came in Casio's ISE press pack depicts the working of its hybrid projectors.

I did see a small prototype by Hitachi at ISE, it was like a low density pointilist painting, showing magenta shift on top. Clearly no speckle reduction.

The Showwx did go on sale in the US, so it must meet FCC regulations.

The Syndiant FLCoS reference design, the Laseno projector produced in China is currently being marketed by AAXA in the US, Syndiant's website is showing what it is doing to reduce speckle (basically vibrating) before the laser hits the LCoS panel.

Ohlson, so you're saying DMDs will not feature the surface flatness required for LASERs in the next couple of years?

·
Registered
917 Posts
This is huge. Here is a company which makes pico projectors and have eliminated speckle with an acousto-optic device

http://www.digilens.com/D-LDC_laser_light_engine.html

You can shake the screen or you can modulate the laser at Rf frequencies or you can spin an integrating plate in front of the source. In any case you either have to dither the laser spatially or electronically to average out the interference patterns

1 - 20 of 64 Posts