AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
70,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the previous two seasons of "Big Love" each got their own thread I figured I'd start a new thread for the third season that premieres a week from Sunday, Jan. 18th. For those that need a refresher course of what's been happening at the Hendrickson household(s) since you last saw them in 2007, here's a link to the previous two threads:

Season 1: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=655375

Season 2: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...t=big+love+hbo

And here's a NY Times article about how HBO is going about reminding audiences that (a) "Big Love" is coming back and (b) what the show is about: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/06/bu...1&ref=business . The show's never been a blockbuster by HBO standards (the first season ranked high only because it followed "The Sopranos") and the labyrinth plotlines and characters make it a tough sell for those not in the loop since day 1.

BTW this will be the first season of "Big Love" I'll get to watch in HD. The first two seasons I either didn't have an HDTV or didn't watch the show when it aired on the main HBO channel (the only one in HD offered by my cable provider). Can't wait to watch Bill, his wives and the prophet in high-def.

·
23,032 Posts
They showed 2 or 3 episodes back to back last Sunday in HD. Haven't looked if they are going to reshow the whole season before the premier of the new season. I would guess they are. Big Love is a great show.

larry

·
Banned
1,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/15476289

They showed 2 or 3 episodes back to back last Sunday in HD. Haven't looked if they are going to reshow the whole season before the premier of the new season. I would guess they are. Big Love is a great show.

larry

It really is. There's a lot more there than the salacious concept would suggest. My only complaint is the opening, which I enjoy far less than most of HBO's efforts. I think that Beach Boys song is just too overpowering. Even if the shows themselves are lacking, the openings to HBO series almost always impress and set the appropriate mood.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/15476289

larry

They showed 6 episodes on Sunday and are showing the remaining 6 next Sunday. Got my DVR scheduled

·
Registered
14,527 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrouchoDude /forum/post/15476481

My only complaint is the opening, which I enjoy far less than most of HBO's efforts.

My wife thinks the same thing. When we watch it on time shift, she always says skip past the opening, she hates it.

·
23,032 Posts
Interesting. I love the Beach Boys song. Although I can remember when it came out which brings back some fond memories. That may be part of it.

larry

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
The BIG difference for me between 2007 and now is

2007 -Had comcast and ONE HBO HD channel (870) I geberally watched the first screening (or DVred it)

2009 - Have Fios and their MANY HBO HDchannels (HBO,HBO2,HBO Signature and HBO Zone) (I doubt Big Love would run on HBO Family or HBO Comedy) and also get the west coast feeds. I will have MANY oppertunities to see it but will most likely catch the first HBO-E screening.

·
Registered
10,851 Posts
If you should ever leave me

Though life would still go on believe me

The world could show nothing to me

So what good would living do me

Considering he's a poligomist, it is an interesting choice for a theme. It'd make much more sense if it were just a couple.

Ummm...how about your other wives, or that new wife I'm sure your going to replace her with?

I like the song, but it doesn't seem to fit.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Looking forward to this coming back!

·
Registered
70,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliens /forum/post/15483514

If you should ever leave me

Though life would still go on believe me

The world could show nothing to me

Considering he’s a poligomist, it is an interesting choice for a theme. It’d make much more sense if it were just a couple.

Ummm...how about your other wives, or that new wife I’m sure your going to replace her with?

I like the song, but it doesn’t seem to fit.

I think the show's producers and fine actors have established clearly that Bill Hendrickson values his wives and extended family (all three households) sincerely, and almost to a fault. He'd do anything to provide for their well being but he also loves each of them because he sincerely believes (and struggles with) his polygamist upbringing. Yes, it's a sugar-coated Hollywood take on a controversial subject (the underage arranged marriages, for example, are only carried by Harry Dean Stanton's villanous Rolland and not virtuous-by-default lead character Bill) but the intro visuals, songs and lyrics are poignant because, while they're meant for two people in love, it applies to this household of three grown-ups entering into a polygamist relationship with their eyes wide open. The fact it was researched and shot to match this particular religion's afterlife promises to its practicers only makes it all the more interesting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_tdyISAylE . It's no "Sopranos" or "Dexter" caliber but hey, how many memorable opening intros can two decades of premium cable content generate?

·
Registered
282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/15483148

Interesting. I love the Beach Boys song. Although I can remember when it came out which brings back some fond memories. That may be part of it.

Same here.

·
Registered
70,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, anybody excited about tonight's S3 premiere? Over at the "Hot Off The Press" thread we've been posting lots of reviews ( http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...38060&page=952 ) and they've been running 60-40 positive. Some critic's actively dislike the show (NY Daily News' Davod Hinckley) while others rave about it (Rob Owen from Pittsbugh Post-Gazette). You can tell who the fans are because they bring up the character backstory and intricate plots; the one's that are panning the show bring up the LDS and polygamy cards. Even "Big Love" critics that don't like the show rave about the cast though, including one (NY Post's Linda Stasi) that's calling it the next "Sopranos" or maybe even better than Tony's crew.

"Big Love" and "United States of Tara" over on Showtime are going to make my Sunday nights so much warmer and fuzzy in this harsh winter.

·
Banned
1,352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad1153 /forum/post/15588792

So, anybody excited about tonight's S3 premiere?

I think everybody is still exhausted and worn out from the BSG premiere on Friday (
), and marshaling their strength for the 2-hour LOST premiere on Wednesday.

I've always liked this show and am looking forward to it's return, but not as much as several others premiering right about now. Their coming online fast and furiously since the nets have essentially launched a new season in January. A good-but-not-great show like 'Big Love' can get lost in the crowd. The one I'm really looking forward to tonight is HBO's "Flight of the Conchords". Those guys kill me.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Anyone understand what she said to "Chakotay's" lawyer? Not sure if it was english, hebrew or native american ... ?

Great episode. Very juicy season in the works.

·
Registered
8,864 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by acksnay /forum/post/15590775

Anyone understand what she said to "Chakotay's" lawyer? Not sure if it was english, hebrew or native american ... ?

Margine was reading and practicing from a "Shoshone" (native American) phrase book earlier in the episode. What she said, I don't know.

·
Registered
8,926 Posts
Did anyone notice that there were 6 chairs at the table in the opening piece? 4 of the chairs were filled but 2 of them were left open. We know who one of those chairs is likely to be filled with. I wonder who gets the 6th chair?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvthunder /forum/post/15595416

I thought she said we come in peace or something like that.

That just reminded me of that awful Sci Fi movie with the reply, "You go in pieces"!

I think it had to do with being a 'peaceful people"?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooperScooper /forum/post/15483148

larry

Sorry couldn't resist the quote. "May you never hear surf music again"! It was an interesting choice but for me it fits the shows intro.

1 - 20 of 169 Posts