AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading/lurking here for a while now, and I've read some amazing threads about some theater builds. What I'm looking for sometimes though is some more 'basic' info (re: soundproofing, etc...)

I'm about to start work on a new build house. Haven't picked out final plan or anything yet, so options are open. A lot of builders around here include 'media rooms', which from what I can tell is a room painted in a dark color, but that's about it. I definitely want to have my builder do the heavy lifting for me (riser, drywall, etc...) but at the same time, it's a little unclear what 'structurally' needs to be done to make the theater a theater.

Soundproofing for example: What about the floor? I'm in Texas, and there's no basements, so a media room will likely be on the second floor. Also I see a lot of people talking about two layers of drywall with 'green glue'. Reading in context plus some searching helped me out with the what's going on there, but there's some mention of 'clips' which I really don't understand. Do I just tell the builder, "Use 'clips' on the drywall?"

Some of it's a bit overwhelming, and I'm not really looking for someone to hold my hand and answer all of my questions one-by-one, but I'm hoping for some sort of 'HT Primer' thread where I can pick up the basics quick, and then refine my knowledge through conventional reading of these boards.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Of course I will post pics when this thing gets underway!

·
Registered
201 Posts
"Clips" is referring to RSIC sound isolation. RSIC stands for Resilient Sound Isolation Clips, or sometimes Resilient Sound Isolation Channel. It is a steel channel that is held to the studs using clips that have some sort of rubber grommeting or gasket that decouples the sheetrock from the studs. A few different manufacturers offer their own flavour of RSIC solution, including Auralex, Kinetics, and several steel framing manufacturers. The most common ones being Auralex.

Unless your builder has done home theatre before, he probably has not heard of it. Asking him to do RSIC construction may be new to him, and is up to him whether he feels comfortable with it or not. Ask him if he has done it before, and if so, great. Otherwise, it isn't difficult to install, so he could do it, it all depends how wishy-washy he sounds when he agrees to do it.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
"Big Picture" guidelines only exist if you hire an experienced professional to design & build everything for you. They can take your ideas and translate them into practical plans. If you plan to have a builder do the work, they need to know what work to do. A professional designer can help you with that.

Too many details & decisions to generalize. If you plan to DIY, spend the next year reading every thread you can on this forum. Take notes and study hard.

Short cuts and generalizations will likely lead to a sub-par result. The devil is always in the details.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
schmidtwi, that's a good point. I've been considering having the builder leave the space unfinished for this exact reason. I figure I can take the time, learn what needs to be done, and do it right (and 'maybe' have fun doing it - not sure about that one though).

Anyway, if I went with a plan like that, is there still things I'd need to ensure the builder did correctly (soundproof floor or something?)

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Non-typical clip array. Normally the channel runs perpendicular to joists, but you get the idea.

25 gauge Drywall Furring Channel.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Z3VH /forum/post/18124622

"Clips" is referring to RSIC sound isolation. RSIC stands for Resilient Sound Isolation Clips, or sometimes Resilient Sound Isolation Channel. It is a steel channel that is held to the studs using clips that have some sort of rubber grommeting or gasket that decouples the sheetrock from the studs.

RSIC is a trade name from one manufacturer of clips, PAC International. Not all clips have rubber components. In any event the clips hold a 25 gauge 7/8" Drywall Furring Channel. All drywall is secured to the channel.

There is no benefit to be gained by using a pre-damped channel. The decoupling benefit is achieved due to the overall flex of the system. There is insufficient surface area on the channels to achieve significant damping with a damping tape or other such application.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.