AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Thanks to everyone's contributions to this forum, I purchased a PN51D7000 a couple of months ago. Everything was great until the other day, when suddenly the picture showed wide black and green bars on the left side of the screen. Along with that, often the rest of the picture is severly distorted as well (see enclosed pics.) This happens on all inputs, the internal tuner, or even no input at all. I unplugged all cables and did the picture test in the menu, and the problem was still there.

I contacted Samsung and they had the service center contact me. The woman at the service center said that they would need to order a new screen, which would take a week. (my guess would have been to replace some of the electronics, not the screen, but what do I know?)

Has anyone had or seen a similar problem? I can't believe this happened just a few weeks past the Amazon return period!

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
With a Samsung, who knows what is wrong with it...

Not sure how you think "purchased months ago" is just a few weeks past Amazon's return window. They only allow 30 days(last I checked) return which is just about the most generous return window of any retailer(B&M or E).

The way plasma are put together, the pin cable from the "picture board"(laymans terms here) goes into the glass. Maybe it is loose inside the panel itself and not on the board. I'm sure the woman you talked to had "bullet points" she looks at and determines "most likely cause" and starts a repair ticket.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I said "a couple of months ago," I meant "almost 2 months".

I agree, Amazon's policies are generous, especialy the free return shipping. Just wish my problems had happened a few weeks ago, so I could take advantage of that, rather than having to have the TV opened up for a repair. Hopefully the repair will make the TV "good as new."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bad news... The local TV repair guy said it's the panel that went bad. Not worth the price for repair.

Of course, I've owned it for 18 months, mfr warranty is 12 months. Hopefully, AmEx extended warranty is going to save my wallet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
sometimes the control board is at fault just very few sometimes plasma panels do go bad. So to LCD panels. But rarely for either. I see a lot of tv's for repair most suffer from power supply troubles and a lot of them have just bad swollen capacitors

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.