AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.....if you wanted to pick up a seperate system for playing 2 player games, which system offers better support for "System Link".

I remember the PS2 (which uses, what, a USB type cable to make the connection??) didn't have an awful lot of games that supported it, and it seemed the XBOX with its ethernet port would be the logical choice.

But then I remember reading that not ALOT of games offered the option of using the cable. They offered split screen multiplayer, but not multi-system multiplayer.....which is really ideal.

So, is there a list online somewhere that shows the games that each system supports in that type of configuration??

I'd probably be interested mostly in driving or sports games, not necessarily FPS's.....

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Ideally, you would be using PCs. if you want to go console only, then the Xbox and Gamecube are your only choices, as the PS2's iLINK port (required for system link) was removed.

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that certainly settles it :)

Didn't know they removed the PS2's link ability...

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Here is most of the Xbox Multi-player LINK games :

Amped 2

Brute Force

Carve

Colin McRae Rally 2005

Corvette: Zero to Gone

Counter-Strike

Crimson Skies

Dead Man's Hand

Deathrow

Halo

Indycar Series 05

Inside Pitch 2003

Juiced

Links 2004

MechAssault

Medal of Honor: Frontline

Midnight Club 2

Midtown Madness 3

Moto GP

Moto GP 2

MTX: Mototrax

Nascar Heat 2002

NBA Inside Drive 2004

NFL Fever 2003

NFL Fever 2004

NHL 2K3

NHL Rivals 2004

Outrun 2

Project Gotham Racing 2

RalliSport Challenge 2

Castle Wolfenstein

Sega GT Online

Serious Sam

Shadow Ops: Red Mercury

Soldier of Fortune II

Jedi Academy

Star Wars: Battlefront

Star Wars: The Clone Wars

Steel Battalion - Line of Contact

Street Racing Syndicate

TimeSplitters 2

Ghost Recon

GR Island Thunder

Rainbow Six 3

Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six 3 - Black Arrow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3

Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4

Tony Hawk's Underground

Top Spin

Tron 2.0: Killer App

Unreal Championship

Whacked!

XIII

Yu-Gi-Oh! Dawn of Destiny

--- This is not a Complete List of all XBOX MP LINK games .

------ Jason

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
The PS2 now has the Ethernet port module/built-in. Can the PS2 run a crossover cable and play dual-console games that way? Or did Sony basically just trash the whole dual-console capability when they eliminated the firewire port? Ie, do the games care about how the physical interface is implemented? So no more dual-console GT3 using the new PStwo?

Also, it should be noted in that XBox list what exactly multi-console gets you. For example, Halo supports multi-console, but only for multiplayer games. Doesn't do you jack squat if you're wanting to play co-op on dual consoles.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Xbox is your obvious choice in that regard. About two months my friend had an xbox lan party with 16 xbox's and 16 t.v.'s in his back yard which was crazy. We mostly played rainbow six but later on played halo, unfortunately you can only link up to 4 xbox's so that part wasn't as good as it could have been but halo 2 is going to do 16 xbox's !!!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Quote:
The PS2 now has the Ethernet port module/built-in. Can the PS2 run a crossover cable and play dual-console games that way?
It's probably technically possible but it's not supported by any game.

Quote:
Or did Sony basically just trash the whole dual-console capability when they eliminated the firewire port?
Essentially, yes.

Prior to Halo no one really considered people would actually buy two copies of the game and two consoles to play head-to-head. It was more of a novelty feature for the seriously hardcore.

Quote:
but halo 2 is going to do 16 xbox's !!!!!
I don't think that's true. It's limited to 4 consoles just like every other game.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SiliGoose

Re: Halo 2

I don't think that's true. It's limited to 4 consoles just like every other game.
Halo 2 supports 16 Xboxes in System Link as well as Xbox Live. The player capacity is 16 and you can rig up any combination using up to 4 players per each Xbox.

Example:

Xbox 1 - 4 players using split screen

Xbox 2 - 3 players

Xbox 3 - 2 players

Xbox 4 - 2 players

Xboxx 5 through 9 - 1 player each

Games can be joined that are already in progress and if the host wants to drop the game will move to to box with the best connection to serve.

I believe that XBox Live offers a dedicated server mode while System Link does not (that being the only distinction).

·
Registered
10,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thing is, I couldn't play a FPS against another human with ajoypad......against computer controlled enemies, its ok...but aginst people, its just too imprecise.

Thats a personal thing, I know plenty of you dont have a problem., but I'm mouse/keyboard since the days of Duke Nukem 3D and Terminator Futureshock.

I'm primarily interested in the driving and basic other types of games.....a FPS co-op would be nice, but not Deathmatch, etc.

*EDIT*

GamePimp, Thx for the list.....so all of those games will support linking two Xboxes to 2 TV's??

·
Registered
115 Posts
Its actually fine using the game pad as long as everybody is using it instead of a keyboard/mouse which is more precise but i still prefer the feel of the game pad.

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
i have yet to understand the whole "Control Type A is better than Control Type B. period." arguement. it all depends on the game, and the envorinment, duh. a keyboard and mouse sucks in the living room, especially if you are trying to play Mario. :) while on the otherhand, in the computer room (where you already have a keyboard and mouse), then that is a fine control scheme, especially for competitive FPS-ing.

·
Registered
16,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nothru22
Oh no MrCalypso, don't bring your opinion in here, that's forbidden, everyone will tell you how wrong you are for having one.

... you hit that one right on the head !!!

------- Jason

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.