AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well folks, TiVo did it now.. they & Lexus teamed up on an ad campaing and downloaded it to TiVo customers, essentially taking up HDD space with a "pushed" ad.

I remember the ReplayTV pause ads and the direction that the TiVo zealots took in dissing them, though they were pretty tame.

On a personal note, I own TiVo, ReplayTV and a Lexus and I honestly don't see what the fuss is about, and I didn't see what it was about back then with the Santa/Coke ad. At the end of the day, who really cares? I really like my TiVo, Replay and Lexus, live and let live!

It's still fun to watch the hardcore TiVo zealots defend their beloved TiVo :D

·
Registered
196 Posts
Quote:
essentially taking up HDD space with a "pushed" ad.
Come on, you, of all people, know that it is not taking up space that anyone has access to. A 30-hour TiVo is a 30-hour TiVo, and this sort of thing would never take away that space. In reality, a 30-hour TiVo is more like a 38-hour TiVo, but they just kept 8 of those hours for themselves.

This has been well known for more than a year. What you seem to be implying here is that TiVo is suddenly making your 30-hour TiVo a less-than-30 hour TiVo, and all of us know that's not true. Even the Replay zealots.

Quote:
It's still fun to watch the hardcore TiVo zealots defend their beloved TiVo
Why is it that enthusiastic TiVo owners are "zealots" but enthusiastic Replay owners are not?

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JustBen
Do we really need another one of these threads? :rolleyes:

Ben.
A-MEN!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I don't see how they are acting any differently to how you guys have with the Replay pause ads. Most don't seem to mind, while a small percentage complain. I posted here how I wouldn't have a problem with the pause ads, except for the 5 second thing being too short.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Great. Here we go again... ;)

Seriously, the big difference in all the discussions many moons ago was that ReplayTV ads could be justified because owners do not pay fees for the service whereas TiVo owners pay monthly or lifetime fees. (Please don't argue the whole fee issue again. It's been argued to death.) The general attitude in the discussions was that if you are paying for your service, you shouldn't have to pay for ads.

I don't know any details about the TiVo ads, I just know that to be generally accepted, they must be unobtrusive. In-your-face ads, while being a marketing dream, will not be tolerated on any platform. At least ReplayTV has reduced the number of pause ads for the 4000 boxes. I think ads are inevitable on any platform, but there are many creative ways to do ads which can be accepted.

Again, I don't know the details. Maybe this is a viable way to do it. Time will tell...

·
Registered
535 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genearch

On a personal note, I own TiVo, ReplayTV and a Lexus and I honestly don't see what the fuss is about, and I didn't see what it was about back then with the Santa/Coke ad. At the end of the day, who really cares? I really like my TiVo, Replay and Lexus, live and let live!
I think you just wanted to brag that you have a Lexus. heheh

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
In the interests of international peace, I don't think this needs to continue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.