AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought one of those 32" closeout plasmas at Best Buy for my living room. The black levels and picture are amazing.

My problem is this: What the heck do I do with my 3 year old Sony LCD projection which is in my Home Theatre? I can't even stand to look at those 2000:1 contrast ratios now that I have 300,000:1 on my smaller plasma!!!

·
Registered
517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerRock /forum/post/15573004

I recently bought one of those 32" closeout plasmas at Best Buy for my living room. The black levels and picture are amazing.

My problem is this: What the heck do I do with my 3 year old Sony LCD projection which is in my Home Theatre? I can't even stand to look at those 2000:1 contrast ratios now that I have 300,000:1 on my smaller plasma!!!

Keep it for a good laugh.

·
Banned
739 Posts

Quote:

LOL, give it to an X girlfriend.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Sell it for a couple hundred in your local paper and get either the Panasonic 50px80 or the Samsung 50a450 for under 1k and be happy with your home theater again.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Donate it to charity.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Sell it, put money towards new 50" plasma....problem solved. The increase in PQ will make up for the size reduction.....just like my sister/bro-in-law did when they went from a 65" Sony rear projection to a 50" Panasonic plasma. They don't miss the extra inches.

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
u welcome

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the great suggestions LOL, but I like the "sell it" idea the best. Maybe some LCD fanboy will buy my old TV on Craigslist.

...and since CC is going out I think I'll run by there today and see if there are any steals.

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:

Your only recourse is to upgrade the projector.

Now that you know how addicting this hobby really is... you only have yourself to blame.

It's not like we made you put the needle in your arm you know.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Dang. I didn't even know they made plasmas that small. I would have considered buying one for my PC if I'd known about it in time.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul33993 /forum/post/15578664

Dang. I didn't even know they made plasmas that small. I would have considered buying one for my PC if I'd known about it in time.

You would not want to use a plasma as a computer monitor. First of all, most computer images are static, and you would be vulnerable to burn-in. Second, the resolution of a plasma that small would probably only be 720p at most.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul33993 /forum/post/15578664

Like Harrison said...not the best for pc use. They make great bedroom tv's though...my sister bro-in-law got two of them a while back for bedroom use. (replaced 3 year old Samsung lcd's killed by lightning) They are pleased with how they look even with a non-HD source...much better than the lcd's they replaced.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:

Hate to burst your bubble, but I would hardly consider the black levels on the 32" plasma "amazing". They have one of the the worst black levels of any current plasma since they use '07 LG tech. The Insignia doesn't have 300,000:1 it's 30,000:1 stated but as with most manufacturers than is a lie and it's more like 1000:1 real world. Anyways it's a decent tv for that cheap of a price. Enjoy.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts

Quote:

Once you go black;

you can't go back!!!

JJ

Welcome too todays 21th century digital displays. Finally digital blks done right!

·
Banned
10,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoizme /forum/post/15583929

Give it to Davd Letterman for his Will It Float segment

I don't watch much late night TV anymore. I'm an old man with a 6:01 AM wake up call.

Does Letterman still hurl stuff off the top of buildings?

The best thing to do with the projector is to give it away to some deserving friend or relative... if anyone wants it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts