AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 942 Posts

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
This is slightly off-topic, but I just had a truly bizarre WMC experience. I was watching TV, pressed Stop, and WMC crashed. I picked the option to restart WMC, and when it did, I got a message saying WMC found a problem with my guide and would download it again. Sure enough, when I went into the guide, everything said "No data available." The WMC taskbar icon did show a "tooltip" saying the guide was indeed downloading.

Then the PC locked up completely. :mad:

When I rebooted, WMC restarted, but it looked very strange. The menu was all scrambled: my ESPN3 add-in was under the TV line and my weather add-in was under the Tasks line. And the old Sports line was back! (Didn't work, of course, but I was surprised to even see it. Obviously that code is still in there somewhere.) I quit WMC and restarted it several times to see if it would straighten itself out, but no such luck.

Still no guide, so I restarted the guide download. It took about 15 minutes but it seemed to populate normally. I tried restarting WMC again but the menu was still scrambled. Everything (except Sports) seemed to work, though. My recordings and schedule looked OK, so I went back to watching TV.

When I was done, I got ready to take a screen shot of the scrambled menu - but by this time, everything was back to normal!

Sort of like waking up from a nightmare :eek:

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Sure enough, when I went into the guide, everything said "No data available." The WMC taskbar icon did show a "tooltip" saying the guide was indeed downloading.

Sort of like waking up from a nightmare :eek:
Experienced a "No data available" event last week, manually updated the guide, receiving update successful message several times to no avail. Guide was finally populated after a second complete setup, including channel scans. Flaky.

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Microsoft can still kill it. Then you need a subscription to SD to get the data.
I don't like subscriptions. ;)
Michael

·
Super Moderator
17,906 Posts
My WMC guide data is properly updating all of my OTA channels, but not DirecTV. Thoughts?

Win7 x32 With two Hauppauge 2250s for OTA and one PVR 1212 capturing from a DirecTV receiver. From the time I built this thing until this week, it's always properly updated everything. Channels 1-62 are OTA, 200 and up: DirecTV.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Reactions: DrDon

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
Something is still wrong. Looks like Microsoft finally fixed the EPG listings for Dish (about an hour ago) but the OTA listings still end this Friday.:mad:

·
Super Moderator
17,906 Posts
Forced the update on two Win 7 machines. The OTA-only x64 took it. The OTA+D* x32 went through the motions, but nothing.

·
Registered
7,485 Posts
OTA+D* x32 went through the motions, but nothing.
You may have to do what I did. After an evening of futile attempts to get my guide to update, I finally exited WMC completely and ran the dreaded ObjectStoreRecoveryTask from the task scheduler.

Luckily, it did the job just fine and I now have my full guides, which is what it usually does for me. However, there was one time, after a crash wiped out my guide, that ObjectStoreRecoveryTask not only didn't work, but completely zapped my WMC setup. I was forced to set everything up again from scratch, which takes me hours because there are several stations in my area that I have to add manually, and that Rovi doesn't have the right guides for (so I have to use GuideTool to fix everything after running the WMC setup wizard).

If you don't want to have to go through WMC setup again, I recommend you back up your system before running ObjectStoreRecoveryTask. It'll probably work fine, but at least you can restore your backup in case it makes a complete mess.

·
Super Moderator
17,906 Posts
Wound up deleting all the guide files and running Wmc setup again. Lost all my series recording settings, but got the guide back.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Wound up deleting all the guide files and running Wmc setup again. Lost all my series recording settings, but got the guide back.
If you were going to do that you may as well have switched to EPG123!

·
Registered
11,084 Posts
Or wait another day or two. Probably would have been fine.

Isn't there a backup utility for WMC somewhere?
I've never used it (probably should ;)), but I'm pretty sure I've read about it (probably here).

·
Registered
15,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #560
Great tool, but use with caution. If you restore your channel lineup, it will hose your channels so bad that you will have to reinstall windows. So use only for your scheduled recordings.

541 - 560 of 942 Posts