AVS Forum banner

561 - 580 of 942 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
I didn't have another day or two. The DirecTV half of the guide was empty. When the went to "Guide>about" it showed current date and that the guide info was valid thru the 29th. Obviously a corrupt file. It's happened before.

Considered epg123 but thought I'd read where a complete Wmc reinstall was required. No time for that.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I didn't have another day or two. The DirecTV half of the guide was empty. When the went to "Guide>about" it showed current date and that the guide info was valid thru the 29th. Obviously a corrupt file. It's happened before.

Considered epg123 but thought I'd read where a complete Wmc reinstall was required. No time for that.
That is not the case. You stop the ehome services to do it then re-start them. You do loose your scheduled recordings though. I'm doing it this weekend and will report back next week on how it goes.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I'm doing it this weekend and will report back next week on how it goes.
How did it go?

My Rovi data runs out on April 3rd and I have a lot of "To Be Announced" listings scattered throughout the 7 days of data that I do have. The earliest TBA I noticed is today at 3:00PM on ABC. I did a manual update and it said it was updated successfully but it didn't give me any more data. Is anyone else having this problem with Rovi or is it just me?

·
Registered
11,440 Posts

I have guide data until April 14 and it's accurate and up-to-date data. Go for it!

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I'm doing it this weekend and will report back next week on how it goes.
How did it go?

My Rovi data runs out on April 3rd and I have a lot of "To Be Announced" listings scattered throughout the 7 days of data that I do have. The earliest TBA I noticed is today at 3:00PM on ABC. I did a manual update and it said it was updated successfully but it didn't give me any more data. Is anyone else having this problem with Rovi or is it just me?
I have guide data until April 14 and it's accurate and up-to-date data. Go for it!

Reactions: Ken.F

·
Registered
4,923 Posts

You just have to rerun the TV signal setup, which may run you about 15-20 minutes depending on your provider. You have to stop the services, delete the eHome directory, and restart the services. Then you run the TV signal setup. There's also an edit to the registry, but that only takes a couple of minutes. Unfortunately, you will also have to set up all of your recordings again from scratch. I just installed it yesterday and so far it looks great. I've got guide data for the next 21 days with the option to go out as far as 30 days. Season and Episode info is now included in the show title. Having peace of mind knowing that I will not run out of guide data is worth the time to install it.

I had 117 series recordings previously set up with the Rovi guide. I was only able to restore about 43 of them since most of the shows are not currently airing and more than a few have been canceled. I made a clone of my C: drive and ran the setup on the clone. I copied down the list of scheduled recordings and other series and set up what I could on the new drive. I'll keep the list handy and add them back in as they start airing again.

There is one caveat you should be aware of if you record OTA locals in HD. WMC will scan the channels at the end of the TV signal setup. If any of the physical channels for your HD locals are in the 2-13 VHF range, WMC may not pick them up and they will not be displayed in the guide. You can, however, add them back in quite easily in WMC. You will need the physical channel (i.e., HD channel 11.1 may use VHF channel 11), the virtual channel (11.1), and the station call sign (WBALDT). If you're not sure what they are you can check TVfool.com for your zip code to get a list of all channels in your area along with the aforementioned data. Prior to all OTA broadcast stations converting to digital, virtually all stations used a UHF frequency as their physical channel. After the conversion, some stations switched back to their original VHF frequency for the physical channel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had 117 series recordings previously set up with the Rovi guide. I was only able to restore about 43 of them since most of the shows are not currently airing and more than a few have been canceled. I made a clone of my C: drive and ran the setup on the clone. I copied down the list of scheduled recordings and other series and set up what I could on the new drive. I'll keep the list handy and add them back in as they start airing again.
You can add manual Keyword recordings for those non-airing series. They will start popping up when the show starts to air again as reminders and then you can delete the Keyword recording series and schedule the series normally. That's what I did after switching to EPG123. No more MS nonsense for me.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
There is one caveat you should be aware of if you record OTA locals in HD. WMC will scan the channels at the end of the TV signal setup. If any of the physical channels for your HD locals are in the 2-13 VHF range, WMC may not pick them up and they will not be displayed in the guide. You can, however, add them back in quite easily in WMC. You will need the physical channel (i.e., HD channel 11.1 may use VHF channel 11), the virtual channel (11.1), and the station call sign (WBALDT).
I'm in the business, so I get all of that. Also never had that issue with WMC. Picks up the few VHFs in my area easily. And, currently, I have two tuners set for OTA, two for QAM and one for DirecTV. So, for me, it's far easier to just blow out the corrupted files and redownload the guide. If for no other reason than going through and manually reassigning all the actual ClearQam channels so they're easier to tune and in the proper place within the guide is time consuming.

I'll probably move to EPG123 when I have time to do that and no impending recordings should there be any hiccups.

What I really need is a hack that'll let WMC change the channels on a DirecTV STB when there are multiple Hauppauge devices in the system.

But that's a whole different thread.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I'm in the business, so I get all of that. Also never had that issue with WMC. Picks up the few VHFs in my area easily. And, currently, I have two tuners set for OTA, two for QAM and one for DirecTV. So, for me, it's far easier to just blow out the corrupted files and redownload the guide. If for no other reason than going through and manually reassigning all the actual ClearQam channels so they're easier to tune and in the proper place within the guide is time consuming.

I'll probably move to EPG123 when I have time to do that and no impending recordings should there be any hiccups.
WMC picks up all VHF and UHF locals just fine when you accept the agreement for their guide data. When you install and run EPG123 you click on the button to disagree with the guide policy. WMC scans for your locals at the end of TV signal setup, which is something it never does when you accept the guide policy. This is where you run into the issue with VHF physical channels. If you've been using the WMC guide all along then you will never have seen this problem.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
How did it go?

It's not you, Ken. Mine quits on the 3d also and lots of stuff before that is generic descriptions, i.e. no specifics as to program content. It's like the ROVI folks have gone on Spring break. A shadow of what we all had a year ago, just awful.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
How did it go?

It's not you, Ken. Mine quits on the 3d also and lots of stuff before that is generic descriptions, i.e. no specifics as to program content. It's like the ROVI folks have gone on Spring break. A shadow of what we all had a year ago, just awful.
Mine quits on the 3rd too. I'll give it 'til Wed.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Yeah, mine runs out on the 4th. Strangely, my TiVo also has it's data ending on the 3rd, making me wonder if rovi already bought TiVo....

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
This is exactly why I installed EPG123. While I've never actually run out of guide data, it's just a royal PITA having to deal with it. The extra benefits of using data from Schedules Direct just makes it worthwhile even if I wasn't running short of data. Having the season and episode info as well as the option to extend the guide out to 30 days is a huge plus and well worth the $25 annual fee.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
You can add manual Keyword recordings for those non-airing series. They will start popping up when the show starts to air again as reminders and then you can delete the Keyword recording series and schedule the series normally. That's what I did after switching to EPG123. No more MS nonsense for me.
To Clarify this needs to be done in the following location withing WMC:

RecordedTV > Add Recording > Wish List and Keyword > Generic Keyword

·
Registered
409 Posts
To Clarify this needs to be done in the following location withing WMC:

RecordedTV > Add Recording > Wish List and Keyword > Generic Keyword

Thanks for that Sammy. I'm probably going to switch over to EPG123 this week. When I read about setting up future recordings using the keyword function, I wasn't familiar with that method. Now I don't have to figure it out!

I've been using WMC for years and never used the 'add recording' function. I always just used the guide and search function.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Thanks everyone. Since it's not just me I won't worry about it.
Some posts over at the Green Button suggest that the lack of data updating is due to MS shutting off the updating function for some days around the time change to DS, which only took place Sunday in Europe, and will get turned back on within a few days thereafter...Hopefully this will prove to be correct.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Some posts over at the Green Button suggest that the lack of data updating is due to MS shutting off the updating function for some days around the time change to DS, which only took place Sunday in Europe, and will get turned back on within a few days thereafter...Hopefully this will prove to be correct.
So long as you don't mind having crappy Rovi Data polluting your guide. When I tried to switch back to WMC from Uverse my wife picked up on it immediately, even quicker than I.

We had repeats showing up as new. We had completely wrong show data showing up in time slots. We had generic or no data at all for a lot of programs rather than specific descriptions.

All this caused low WAF for me and has resulted in my jumping to EPG123 over a week ago and we're not looking back. We're cancelling Uverse this week and keeping about $60 each month in our pocket.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
So long as you don't mind having crappy Rovi Data polluting your guide...
All this caused low WAF for me and has resulted in my jumping to EPG123 over a week ago and we're not looking back.
For me, it's a time factor. I'm half-kidding, but my system always seems to have some unique issue that causes any installation of anything to find some way to abort, forcing a lot of "by hand" work. Murphy's Law. I'm already anticipating my blend of tuners and sources is going to throw a wrench into EPG123, so I need to allow for that time when I install it. IOW, a full day. If I don't do that and there are problems, I get anxious. If I DO figure in extra time and all goes smoothly, I get extra beer time. Much better end result. :D I'll get there. Just not for a while.

As for the WAF, there really isn't any. The programs she wants to watch wind up edited and on a thumb drive. She can plug that into her TV of choice and watch away.

561 - 580 of 942 Posts