AVS Forum banner

581 - 600 of 942 Posts

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
For me, it's a time factor. I'm half-kidding, but my system always seems to have some unique issue that causes any installation of anything to find some way to abort, forcing a lot of "by hand" work. Murphy's Law. I'm already anticipating my blend of tuners and sources is going to throw a wrench into EPG123, so I need to allow for that time when I install it. IOW, a full day. If I don't do that and there are problems, I get anxious. If I DO figure in extra time and all goes smoothly, I get extra beer time. Much better end result. :D I'll get there. Just not for a while.

As for the WAF, there really isn't any. The programs she wants to watch wind up edited and on a thumb drive. She can plug that into her TV of choice and watch away.
The total time for me to make the switch was about 30 minutes and that included the initial download of data which took about 15 minutes. I did have to re-do my custom channel mappings (my own deal/choice as I have the Charter channel numbers completely remapped) and re-schedule our series recordings. These tasks took some time, channel numbering in GuideTool a couple of tedious hours (but most won't have to do this if you stick with the CableCo's channel numbering) and another ½-hour was used up re-doing the schedule.

Figure on maybe an hour. If you follow the instructions explicitly and either stop all eh services and processes or simply boot into safe mode (F8 while booting) all goes quick and smooth.

Reactions: chrisdfw

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I just made a clone of my existing hard drive and used it for a couple of days to make sure there were no issues with it. Once I did that I installed EPG123 on the original drive and used that to experiment with. That allowed me to work on it as time permitted and then switch back to the other drive if I ran out of time or needed to let it record something. The drive with all of my recordings is separate from the OS drive so I never missed a recording or skipped a beat when switching between them. I've been able to play around with the EPG123 drive while not having to worry about things getting hosed. If something went south then I could easily reclone the working drive and start over again. Fortunately, this never happened and it worked pretty well the first time I configured it. The only issue I had was a couple of missing locals in the guide, which I later discovered had to be added manually.

You should be able to install and configure EPG123 in about an hour or so, worst case. The latest release automates a lot of the functions and simplifies things greatly. The only time consuming effort is setting up your recordings again unless you use Sean's WMC Backup utility to backup and restore your recoding schedule.

·
Super Moderator
17,799 Posts
I ALWAYS work with cloned drives. Learned that lesson somewhere around Win 2000. Always have one clone in the machine and another one in a safe.

On topic: Anyone try blowing out their current guide and forcing a re-download?

·
Registered
409 Posts
Guide now updated

Just did an manual Guide download and have Guide data to 8 pm on April 10:)

Cablecard: WOW in Columbus, OH

Reactions: DrDon

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I just installed EPG123 v0.9.1 on my bedroom HTPC when I got home from work yesterday and it took about 40 minutes. I could have done it a bit quicker, but I forgot to set the number of days for guide data the first time I ran through it so I had to run it twice. I don't have any scheduled recordings on that HTPC so it's done. The latest version is even more streamlined than the last so the process is pretty easy.

I have another HTPC in the family room that's essentially an identical setup so I'll probably do that one tonight when I get home. I didn't bother cloning the drive on the bedroom HTPC since all I'm basically doing is deleting the eHome directory and its contents. It gets restored when I rerun the TV signal setup in WMC so there's no real danger of losing anything critical. It's an Intel NUC so trying to clone the drive gets messy having to deal with USB hubs and external drives and such.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Just did an manual Guide download and have Guide data to 8 pm on April 10:)
So does this mean people are going to stop panicking every time there's less than a week of data or are we going to keep going through this again and again?
:rolleyes:
Michael

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
So does this mean people are going to stop panicking every time there's less than a week of data or are we going to keep going through this again and again?
:rolleyes:
Michael
We all know the guide data will be shut off for good some day but nobody knows which day it will be. Until it is shut off for good we will continue to panic every time there is a glitch.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
We all know the guide data will be shut off for good some day but nobody knows which day it will be. Until it is shut off for good we will continue to panic every time there is a glitch.
.. or simply switch to EPG123. You guys are happy to have guide data that runs out to April 10 which is two weeks? Mine is good until April 17 right now and is correct.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
.. or simply switch to EPG123. You guys are happy to have guide data that runs out to April 10 which is two weeks? Mine is good until April 17 right now and is correct.
I'm fine with 2 weeks of data. If it does run out I have other DVR options available. It's not a problem unless I'm out of town and I don't know it happened. I'm more concerned with my Ceton tuners flaking out while I'm away than the guide data running out.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I don't have any other DVR option available and am out of town often. My Primes run great but every so often Charter's cheap @$$ tuning resolvers crap out on me. I'm most concerned with the accuracy of the guide data than anything else. My Rovi data was so polluted and just flat out wrong it was unusable. Having it run down to 4 or 5 days out would cause even more consternation and a low WAF. EPG123 is the solution to this nonsense from Rovi and Microsoft.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #593
I don't have any other DVR option available and am out of town often. My Primes run great but every so often Charter's cheap @$$ tuning resolvers crap out on me.
You should try running without it. On Charter in my area, only about 50, mostly foreign language, channels are on SDV. You may not miss it, and that's one less thing to go wrong.

I picked up a cheap Slingbox 350 from Amazon not long ago, and it's turned out to be simpler and more reliable than any other remote streaming I've used in the past. Now it's invaluable when I'm on the road, which is often.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
I don't have any other DVR option available and am out of town often. My Primes run great but every so often Charter's cheap @$$ tuning resolvers crap out on me. I'm most concerned with the accuracy of the guide data than anything else. My Rovi data was so polluted and just flat out wrong it was unusable. Having it run down to 4 or 5 days out would cause even more consternation and a low WAF. EPG123 is the solution to this nonsense from Rovi and Microsoft.
My HDHomeRun tuners are rock-solid reliable. I have one Prime and two Connects. I plan on getting another Prime to replace the Ceton once the HDHR DVR system gets all of the features I need. I probably won't keep Windows after that so I don't want to spend the time and money patching WMC with third party guide data.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
You should try running without it. On Charter in my area, only about 50, mostly foreign language, channels are on SDV. You may not miss it, and that's one less thing to go wrong.
Unfortunately several channels we really like are on SDV like MTVLive (Palladia) and a smathering of StarzHD, CinemaxHD and even a couple of HBOHD feeds.

I picked up a cheap Slingbox 350 from Amazon not long ago, and it's turned out to be simpler and more reliable than any other remote streaming I've used in the past. Now it's invaluable when I'm on the road, which is often.
I'm interested in more information about this but how does it work with copy protection? Or is it a streaming box to connect to things like HBOGo and the like? I use a $20 Chromecast and my tablet for that. If the Hotel's TV doesn't have an available HDMI input or the remote has imputs disabled we can still watch on the tablet.

My HDHomeRun tuners are rock-solid reliable. I have one Prime and two Connects. I plan on getting another Prime to replace the Ceton once the HDHR DVR system gets all of the features I need. I probably won't keep Windows after that so I don't want to spend the time and money patching WMC with third party guide data.
That seems to be taking a long time to get set up by SiliconDust but I, like many, don't like the lack of a guide. That one would take some getting used to for WAF value to kick in.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #596
I'm interested in more information about this but how does it work with copy protection? Or is it a streaming box to connect to things like HBOGo and the like? I use a $20 Chromecast and my tablet for that. If the Hotel's TV doesn't have an available HDMI input or the remote has imputs disabled we can still watch on the tablet.
Slingbox is very old and very low tech. It just sends whatever is on your screen at home. Being analog, it is unaffected by copy protection. I have it connected to one of my extenders (Tivo Mini) via component. So I get 1080i and stereo sound. But it sees exactly what is on the extender and controls it via IR, so it's as if you are at home in front of the box, minus the control lag over the internet. It has absolutely no streaming apps of its own. The view side is completely software. So you'd need to connect your laptop, Roku, Fire, etc. to a TV to watch (or watch directly on your laptop, tablet or phone).

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Slingbox is very old and very low tech. It just sends whatever is on your screen at home. Being analog, it is unaffected by copy protection. I have it connected to one of my extenders (Tivo Mini) via component. So I get 1080i and stereo sound. But it sees exactly what is on the extender and controls it via IR, so it's as if you are at home in front of the box, minus the control lag over the internet. It has absolutely no streaming apps of its own. The view side is completely software. So you'd need to connect your laptop, Roku, Fire, etc. to a TV to watch (or watch directly on your laptop, tablet or phone).
I see. I'm not sure where I'd hook up this with component; maybe on my HTPC itself. Can you change channels, use the EPG and look through Recorded TV to watch something? To me I think that Emby does this pretty well for LiveTV and especially RecordedTV already, except for protected content. Fortunately, although Charter has a lot of premium channels on SDV they have a lot of them with the cci set to Copy Freely so I can get most but not all content this way.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #598
I see. I'm not sure where I'd hook up this with component; maybe on my HTPC itself. Can you change channels, use the EPG and look through Recorded TV to watch something?
Yes. It's transmitting the actual screen. You're controlling it via IR just as you would locally. Change channels, browse the guide, whatever. Works fine with copy protected content.

If you're still using any Xbox extenders, that should work fine with component (you may have to buy a cable). For Echo, just get an HDMI-Component converter. You could dedicate one just to the Slingbox. Whatever box you use, Sling takes it over anyway. That's why I use a spare box that nobody would normally watch while I'm away.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Yes. It's transmitting the actual screen. You're controlling it via IR just as you would locally. Change channels, browse the guide, whatever. Works fine with copy protected content.

If you're still using any Xbox extenders, that should work fine with component (you may have to buy a cable). For Echo, just get an HDMI-Component converter. You could dedicate one just to the Slingbox. Whatever box you use, Sling takes it over anyway. That's why I use a spare box that nobody would normally watch while I'm away.
I've never used an Xbox extender but does the Slingbox use IR emitters to control the extender? I'd probably just get an Xbox for this if I were to do it.

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #600
I've never used an Xbox extender but does the Slingbox use IR emitters to control the extender?
Yes, it has an emitter to control whatever device. Unlike some products with blasters, Sling can control absolutely every IR device on the planet, thanks to the JP1 community.

581 - 600 of 942 Posts