AVS Forum banner

601 - 620 of 942 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. Ive spent about 2 hours trying to figure out whats going on with WMC and it seems to be related to the guide. (Wrong shows being recorded, data not updating etc). After some googling I found this thread and seems like I'm screwed. I reset WMC and now the guide won't download at all. It gets stuck on the progress bar and nothing happens. When i try to manually force it it gives me this error "Failed to retrieve nettv (Error: PackageName is invalid.)".

Is there a way to set up media center without a guide and then use something like epg123?

Any ideas? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Yes. Just install EPG123 without setting up the guide in WMC per the instructions on Gary's website.

Reactions: JDLIVE

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
yeah that's what i did... declined, but right after that the download window shows up.
Have you disabled all ehome and related services in task manager? The best bet is to boot into safe mode but I was able to inject EPG123 into WMC without doing that.

·
Registered
561 Posts
It seems like the idiots (I don't normally do name calling but with the hell they've put us all through they deserve it) at Rovi are at it again.

After months without all my channel numbers randomly changing as happened every week for the first several months after this horrible change, it happened again today.

Not only that, for some reason my cable provider changes some of my channel numbers every now and then and it takes weeks if not months for the changes to appear in the Rovi guide so I need to tell WMC to use the listings from different channels. However, when you combine this problem with the problem of channels changing numbers in the guide, I don't simply need to go through TV setup again and delete the channels I don't get, I need to copy the listings from other channels for those that changed, and for every single recording that's on a channel that changed I need to manually tell it to take it from the new correct channel.

Should we expect the guide to be this horrible permanently from now on? Will they ever update channel changes faster than within months of the change?

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
It seems like the idiots (I don't normally do name calling but with the hell they've put us all through they deserve it) at Rovi are at it again.

After months without all my channel numbers randomly changing as happened every week for the first several months after this horrible change, it happened again today.

Not only that, for some reason my cable provider changes some of my channel numbers every now and then and it takes weeks if not months for the changes to appear in the Rovi guide so I need to tell WMC to use the listings from different channels. However, when you combine this problem with the problem of channels changing numbers in the guide, I don't simply need to go through TV setup again and delete the channels I don't get, I need to copy the listings from other channels for those that changed, and for every single recording that's on a channel that changed I need to manually tell it to take it from the new correct channel.

Should we expect the guide to be this horrible permanently from now on? Will they ever update channel changes faster than within months of the change?
I could tell you outright but the Mods might not appreciated it so maybe read in between the lines in my post above.

·
Registered
7,441 Posts
Even on OTA, Rovi is slow to update channel changes. That's where GuideTool comes in - you can move the guides to the correct channels with it.

But if you want Zap2It back, consider EPG123. It'll cost you a bit for a Schedules Direct subscription, and it sounds like sort of a pain to set up, but once you get through it you should essentially be back to pre-July.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Even on OTA, Rovi is slow to update channel changes. That's where GuideTool comes in - you can move the guides to the correct channels with it.

But if you want Zap2It back, consider EPG123. It'll cost you a bit for a Schedules Direct subscription, and it sounds like sort of a pain to set up, but once you get through it you should essentially be back to pre-July.
It's actually quite easy to set up. The instructions are very clear and easy to use. A Schedules Direct subscription is only $25 per year. The only caveat is that you have to manually renew it each year. They do send out a notification well before the expiration date so it won't run out.

You'll need to get the Schedules Direct subscription first. You set your lineups on their website along with a user name and password. Once you've done that you download the latest version of EPG123. Unzip it and place it in a folder on your C: drive. You'll need to rerun Windows Media Center guided setup, but do not agree to the statement about getting guide data. Setup will continue but you won't see any guide data until you run EPG123.

Run the epg123.exe file to start the program. Enter your Schedules Direct login info and then let it connect. You then add your lineups based on what you have on the Schedules Direct website. You can add or delete channels in the lineup in EPG123, but it's best to do that initially on Schedules Direct. Set up a time for the guide data to be updated. There are a few other check boxes to check so look over the instructions to see if they apply to you. You can save the setup data and let it update automatically at the time you specified or do a save and execute to run the program and update it manually, which is preferred if it's the first time you're running it. It will take a little while to run and download the guide data, depending on how many days of data you have specified. I've got mine set up for 21 days of data. If you go out much beyond 14 days you'll just get generic descriptions of many of the shows rather than episode specific data.

If you use OTA channels you may run into an issue with some of them showing up in the guide. When HD channels first started airing, the vast majority of them were in the UHF band while their standard def counterparts remained on their original VHF frequency. When all stations were mandated to switch to all digital broadcasts, some of the stations that had been broadcasting in the UHF band switched back to their original VHF frequency. WMC will not look for these channels in the VHF band so they won't show up in the guide. You can easily add them in manually in WMC. I only had to do it for about three channels, IIRC, and I get OTA from two major markets.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts
In another example of Rovi's incompetence as WMC's Guide provider, i needed to manually schedule 4 hours of Celebrity Family Feud to record tonight's pasting of the Golden Arches by the Cavs. :)

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
In another example of Rovi's incompetence as WMC's Guide provider, i needed to manually schedule 4 hours of Celebrity Family Feud to record tonight's pasting of the Golden Arches by the Cavs. :)
Why do you keep deleting and re-posting this?

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
One deletion and repost. Didn't want to get between captain_video's response to JHBrandt. Curious why you asked?
I got three different email notifications for the same message. It took me a while to figure out why I wasn't seeing any new messages.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Blame TiVO. Rovi is TiVO, TiVO is Rovi.

Besides, even over the air guide updates are not precise on programming over runs, yet you want someone to predict when some stupid game will run over the allotment 2 weeks in advance.

·
Registered
617 Posts

Besides, even over the air guide updates are not precise on programming over runs, yet you want someone to predict when some stupid game will run over the allotment 2 weeks in advance.
I believe Rovi will actually take the TiVo name so yes, better start blaming TiVo :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts

There are a number of ways of determining when a game is running long; Schedules Direct has an API for that, but obviously you need the application to support extending a recording in progress.

I believe that overseas EIT data is better, so you can keep checking whether the "Now / Next" has changed, and if not, keep recording.

·
Registered
6,337 Posts

When is a global corporation a someone?

In the event you missed it there are 600+ posts on this thread with similar issues that have persisted for almost 1 year. Dray fan or just one of ineptitude?

·
Banned
2,696 Posts
My WMC guide didn't even know Game 7 was on.

Reactions: bmcn
601 - 620 of 942 Posts