AVS Forum banner

621 - 640 of 942 Posts

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #622
Blame TiVO. Rovi is TiVO, TiVO is Rovi.
Ink on the Tivo - Rovi deal is barely even dry. Blame Tivo if you want, but they aren't even using Rovi data themselves yet, as far as we can tell. Hopefully Tivo subs won't tolerate Rovi's terrible data, and Rovi will have to step up and actually fix it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
The new incompetent guide company is literally several months behind on channel number changes my provider has made. Will they ever update channel numbers that get changed?

With the complete disaster this new company ended up being are there any plans for MS to go back to the original company where I never had a single problem in years?

Can someone repost the link where you report these issues?

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
The new incompetent guide company is literally several months behind on channel number changes my provider has made. Will they ever update channel numbers that get changed?

With the complete disaster this new company ended up being are there any plans for MS to go back to the original company where I never had a single problem in years?

Can someone repost the link where you report these issues?
Interesting; they've been spot on with the Olympics; a welcome improvement.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Well, hopefully things will be better soon - TiVo is switching to Rovi data soon. Or will that be TiVo data since they want to rename...

If you want to switch back to tribune, look up EPG123 - costs a few bucks though.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
I can't remember how to fix this..

Win7 x32 HTPC with 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV (capture box) tuner. Guide has stopped populating program info for the ATSC channels only. They're still IN the guide. Re-ran setup and WMC correctly determined 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV. Set up DirecTV for East Coast Digital as I always have (no local channels). Every channel, OTA and Satellite, is correctly LISTED in the guide. I even re-did all the checkmarks under Edit Channels. So, that's all correct. Just "no data" for all the OTAs.

But.. when I look at the Guide Information Page, it only lists DirecTV.. no OTA.

Something like this always happens the day before the fall television season begins. All was well through last week.

I need a fix. Please do not suggest EPG123 as thegreenbutton reports just as many issues with it as Rovi.

Much thanks..

Your friendly moderator.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
Plug in a different zip code entirely and let it populate. Then go back and put your correct one in.

FWIW, I have not seen anyone with EPG123 issues on this forum, including me.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts

Win7 x32 HTPC with 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV (capture box) tuner. Guide has stopped populating program info for the ATSC channels only. They're still IN the guide. Re-ran setup and WMC correctly determined 4 ATSC and 1 DirecTV. Set up DirecTV for East Coast Digital as I always have (no local channels). Every channel, OTA and Satellite, is correctly LISTED in the guide. I even re-did all the checkmarks under Edit Channels. So, that's all correct. Just "no data" for all the OTAs.

But.. when I look at the Guide Information Page, it only lists DirecTV.. no OTA.

Something like this always happens the day before the fall television season begins. All was well through last week.

I need a fix. Please do not suggest EPG123 as thegreenbutton reports just as many issues with it as Rovi.

Much thanks..

Your friendly moderator.
The issues I've had with epg123 have been mainly created by issues I was having with my machine. One was with the boot SSD being saturated with data which most likely would have caused problems with the MS guide services as well, in addition to other problems with the machine. The other time was a rogue AMD video driver and me having to get my database re-built afterwards so I'm not going to re-install that driver again.

For me, it has been a great substitute for the MicroSoft / TiVo (Rovi) guide. I'm using v1.0.0 because of some of the issues (with work arounds) for v1.0.1 needing to be fixed in code. Version 1.0.0 is very stable and gives me new and dynamic guide data every day.

That said, I seem to recall some threads with issues for set-ups like yours with OTA mixed with Hauppauge Capture Boxes. Seems it will be an issue either way for this set up.

Good Luck.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
I seem to recall some threads with issues for set-ups like yours with OTA mixed with Hauppauge Capture Boxes. Seems it will be an issue either way for this set up.

Good Luck.
Thanks. Yes, the dual source thing appears to be an issue.. one of the reasons I didn't move to EPG123 right away. This box has performed beautifully in the 5 years since I built it. I'm very reluctant to change anything. In fact, I ran the first Windows Update on the box since April in case that was causing some issues.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts

Much thanks..

Your friendly moderator.
That sounds similar to an issue I often have. I use two guide sources: OTA and Dish. (I don't actually have a Dish capture device hooked up, but I use the Dish guides with Guidetool to fill out some OTA channels where Rovi's OTA guide is missing or unhelpful.) Sometimes my OTA quits updating even though the Dish guides stay updated.

If TornadoTJ's suggestion works, let us know; otherwise, try this. First exit Media Center, then open the Task Scheduler (in Administrative Tools), expand Task Scheduler Library / Microsoft / Windows and click (no need to expand) Media Center. Then right-click ObjectStoreRecoveryTask in the center pane and run it.

It will only run a few seconds, then it'll start MCUpdate, which will take the typical amount of time to run. Once that's done, you can start WMC again. You'll see a message about WMC fixing a problem with your setup (don't remember the exact wording). Just click OK and check your guide. It should be back to normal.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
When the guide changes happened (the switch to Rovi) the zip code thing was the workaround. I was guessing that this was the workaround you were looking for. I can't guarantee it'll solve the issue.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
The zip code thing oddly isn't working.. for the current zip code. I can switch it to five states away and it's fine. Here? Nope. Will try JH's method. Luckily, the backup machine (also OTA and DirecTV, but uses WinTV for DirecTV) is fine and updated with two weeks of guide data.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
The zip code thing oddly isn't working.. for the current zip code. I can switch it to five states away and it's fine. Here? Nope.
I've had to try a few different ones until I found one that works. I've always been lucky enough to find a good zip code close enough to me that the guide data was the same.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
One would think the zip code that works on one machine would work on the other. The backup computer is fine. But it doesn't use WMC for DirecTV. Just OTA.

EDIT
Rebuild seems to have worked. Some guide data has correctly loaded. Promising.

EDIT
Spoke too soon. Now, it's lost most of the DirecTV listings. Refreshing the guide, then will try setup, again.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
Aaaaand we're back. Thanks a ton JHBrandt.

After restarting WMC, I did get the "rebuilding" notification and let that run. Got the locals but only the first couple hundred DirecTV channels. Nothing past ESPN.
Re downloaded the guide from WMC menu. Made it to 80% and threw an error.
Re-ran TV Signal Setup (using current zip). (I do cancel "scan for add'l channels you may receive") Guide download made it to 80% and threw an error.
Manually forced guide update from system tray icon. Guide download threw the error.. BUT.. All now appears well. Bonus: I have my notes forever enshrined in this thread.

One of these days, I'll break down and get a DirecTV DVR. Holding out because I'm on a no-longer-offered package I'll lose when I change anything. But I digress.

Many thanks.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
Hopefully Tivo subs won't tolerate Rovi's terrible data, and Rovi will have to step up and actually fix it.
We're going to find out soon how much of Rovi's incompetence that Tivo users are going to take. There's already been plenty since the guide data switchover started.

The only hope here is that if Tivo forces Rovi to get their act together to keep their users from leaving, WMC will benefit.

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
I often get an error when my guide downloads. Usually it seems meaningless and the guide is fine.

Looking at Event Viewer, the error seems to have something to do with downloading an obsolete part of the guide - "nettv" or something like that. It appears the guide package names are case sensitive and that it should be trying to download "NetTV" instead.

I don't even think there's anything in that part of the guide anymore - it's been a long time since WMC had any Internet channels - but for some reason MCUpdate still seems to want to download it, and complains if it doesn't work.

·
Super Moderator
17,802 Posts
I often get an error when my guide downloads. Usually it seems meaningless and the guide is fine.

Looking at Event Viewer, the error seems to have something to do with downloading an obsolete part of the guide - "nettv" or something like that. It appears the guide package names are case sensitive and that it should be trying to download "NetTV" instead.

I don't even think there's anything in that part of the guide anymore - it's been a long time since WMC had any Internet channels - but for some reason MCUpdate still seems to want to download it, and complains if it doesn't work.
That makes total sense as, during one of the zip code switching attempts, the thing loaded all the internet channels that have long since been removed.. CBS, etc.

621 - 640 of 942 Posts