861 - 880 of 942 Posts

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
Don't hold your breath..

·
Registered
7,444 Posts
Is there an app (with EPG123) so that I can schedule recordings when I am out of town?
That tickled a memory from a few years ago: http://www.remotepotato.com/mediacenter.aspx. It should work regardless of your guide source.

Edit: Sorry; someone already posted that link. I just didn't read down far enough. It was a busy day on this thread today!

Anyway, on those subscription fees, I can go either way. I really don't have a problem with Schedules Direct. It's not free but it's very cheap, and you get a good-quality, 21-day guide; clearly an upgrade from WMC's free guide even if the latter hadn't gone down the tubes!

OTOH, I don't like the mandatory Plex and Emby subscriptions. It's not really the cost, either; it's just the principle of the thing. Basically, part of the subscription is for guide data, and part is for their software, which isn't free. You can buy it, by purchasing a "lifetime" subscription; or you can lease it, on a monthly or annual basis.

I don't have a problem with paying for software either; I just don't like the way everything is all jumbled together with these solutions. Why can't I pay a fair price for the software itself, then choose my guide source separately? Schedules Direct is limited to freeware like EPG123, but I should still be able to choose from: the short but free PSIP guide broadcast by every OTA station, a mediocre but cheap 2-week guide sourced from TiVo/Rovi, or go for the good-quality, 3-week guide sourced from Gracenote.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Internet and phone plus miscellaneous fees and taxes raise it to about $157.
I bought my HP 9300 Cable Labs Certified HTPC for recording DRM, HBO,etc. When HTPC's came out you had to buy them from dell or HP,as they had to be Cable Lab certified,no play ready, which Microsoft's brought out later and too late.
This is about Microsoft abandoning another product, which they promised to support until 2020. I happen to think that I should not be forced to pay extra for a guide.I paid extra for the HP cable Labs certified computer.
I just dumped Fios at a 167.00 and downgraded to a Comcast package for TV and 100 mbs Internet ,HD box and a Cable Card for 67.00 a month, with taxes,that's everything.
Add Majic Jax at 35.00 a year(I need a fax for my business) and that's 70.00 a month total.
Why would you let Microsoft's rip you off? I think they are messing with the guide too piss people off and make them pay for a guide, from a company, that Microsoft's has their claws into.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
I bought my HP 9300 Cable Labs Certified HTPC for recording DRM, HBO,etc. When HTPC's came out you had to buy them from dell or HP,as they had to be Cable Lab certified,no play ready, which Microsoft's brought out later and too late.
This is about Microsoft abandoning another product, which they promised to support until 2020. I happen to think that I should not be forced to pay extra for a guide.I paid extra for the HP cable Labs certified computer.
I just dumped Fios at a 167.00 and downgraded to a Comcast package for TV and 100 mbs Internet ,HD box and a Cable Card for 67.00 a month, with taxes,that's everything.
Add Majic Jax at 35.00 a year(I need a fax for my business) and that's 70.00 a month total.
Why would you let Microsoft's rip you off? I think they are messing with the guide too piss people off and make them pay for a guide, from a company, that Microsoft's has their claws into.
Microsoft is still providing guide data for WMC users so it sounds to me like they're still supporting the product as promised. They're just not providing any more updates to WMC. Support and product development are two different things.

Nobody is forcing you to pay extra for guide data. It's still free from Microsoft. However, a Schedules Direct subscription with EPG123 gets you better guide data with no worry about the possibility that it might run out because some idiot at Microsoft forgot to update it. I agree that Microsoft has basically abandoned WMC and, even though they still supply guide data, WMC is pretty much an afterthought these days for them. That's why many of us have switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct. It takes Microsoft out of the equation entirely.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Microsoft is still providing guide data for WMC users so it sounds to me like they're still supporting the product as promised. They're just not providing any more updates to WMC. Support and product development are two different things.

Nobody is forcing you to pay extra for guide data. It's still free from Microsoft. However, a Schedules Direct subscription with EPG123 gets you better guide data with no worry about the possibility that it might run out because some idiot at Microsoft forgot to update it. I agree that Microsoft has basically abandoned WMC and, even though they still supply guide data, WMC is pretty much an afterthought these days for them. That's why many of us have switched to EPG123 and Schedules Direct. It takes Microsoft out of the equation entirely.
It seems to me that Microsoft has taken you out of the equation and that's my point!

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #866
FWIW, other solutions also have free guide data, like Google "Live Channels" DVR for Android TV on Nvidia Shield and Channel Master Stream+ (OTA only). Many WMC users (including me) have migrated to those (I also have Tivo lifetime which is essentially free and also works with cable card).

But I agree that you could continue using WMC with free Microsoft provided data indefinitely if you can live with the occasional outages. If I still used WMC, I would switch to EPG123 in a heartbeat.

I do question why anybody with WMC or other cable card solution would still have any cable boxes at all.

And speaking of MagicJack, there are other cheap/free phone solutions with fax capability. I can fax with my Ooma service, and it costs about $4/month. Obi can also fax and uses a Google Voice number and is absolutely free.

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #868
@6athome, Microsoft has no relationship with EPG123 whatsoever. They don't have a current solution for a PC-based DVR, paid or otherwise. So they aren't making any money from you or even attempting to make money from you no matter how you look at it.

Microsoft ends support for Windows 8.x (the last OS to run WMC) in 2023. So they haven't taken you out of the equation yet. Even when they do, how is this any different than any other software life cycle, Microsoft or otherwise? What's keeping you from running WMC indefinitely?

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
What's this thing you call "fax"?

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
I want to clarify our Hulu Subscription.. We get the commercial free for $12 a month. If you can tolerate commercials you can get it for $9 or $10 a month (I forget which). AFAIK, DirecTV Now has no commercial free option at all? To us that has value beyond the extra couple bucks a month.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
That tickled a memory from a few years ago: http://www.remotepotato.com/mediacenter.aspx. It should work regardless of your guide source.

Edit: Sorry; someone already posted that link. I just didn't read down far enough. It was a busy day on this thread today!

Anyway, on those subscription fees, I can go either way. I really don't have a problem with Schedules Direct. It's not free but it's very cheap, and you get a good-quality, 21-day guide; clearly an upgrade from WMC's free guide even if the latter hadn't gone down the tubes!

OTOH, I don't like the mandatory Plex and Emby subscriptions. It's not really the cost, either; it's just the principle of the thing. Basically, part of the subscription is for guide data, and part is for their software, which isn't free. You can buy it, by purchasing a "lifetime" subscription; or you can lease it, on a monthly or annual basis.

I don't have a problem with paying for software either; I just don't like the way everything is all jumbled together with these solutions. Why can't I pay a fair price for the software itself, then choose my guide source separately? Schedules Direct is limited to freeware like EPG123, but I should still be able to choose from: the short but free PSIP guide broadcast by every OTA station, a mediocre but cheap 2-week guide sourced from TiVo/Rovi, or go for the good-quality, 3-week guide sourced from Gracenote.
Sorry but these two statements completely contradict each other. On one hand you don't like the "principal" of a software company getting paid for their work but on the other hand you don't mind paying for software?

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
And you can use Plex for free all you want, you just won't have access to things such as Sync, and you won't have access to "preview" items.

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
And you can use Plex for free all you want, you just won't have access to things such as Sync, and you won't have access to "preview" items.
I use Plex on my Shield and my unRAID server and never had to pay for it. I looked at the "advantages" that paying for a Plex Pass gives me and I saw no reason to purchase it. The free version does everything I need it to.

·
Registered
7,906 Posts
I use Plex on my Shield and my unRAID server and never had to pay for it. I looked at the "advantages" that paying for a Plex Pass gives me and I saw no reason to purchase it. The free version does everything I need it to.
Exactly. The other poster's comment that the software isn't free is wrong. It can be and the free version works just fine for many, if not most, people.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
The "Free" versions of either Plex or Emby don't include DVR which is sorta the point in the whole discussion of changes in the WMC Guide. It is correct you don't have to pay for limited versions nonetheless.

I've paid for both, $10 for Emby Beta back when it wad the "new" MB3 and I've kicked in a few bucks along the way because I like what they do and want to support continued development. I also paid for PlexPass last month when they tossed a code for lifetime for $75 in my email last month. I'm happy with both for different reasons and glad to have paid for it. I also pay for SchedulesDirect and have donated to garyan2 a few times now because I want to support his efforts too.

Reactions: perpetual98

·
Registered
7,606 Posts
I look at it this way. If I can get a better TV experience by paying just a little extra then I'm OK with that. I've been a WMC convert for many years. When Ceton informed me of upcoming release of their InfiniTV4 and were accepting pre-orders I jumped on it literally within seconds after reading the email. I paid over $400 with shipping for a 1st generation cablecard tuner and it was one of the best purchases I ever made for my HTPC. I don't usually jump on new technology and tend to let it simmer for a while to get the bugs out and wait until the price drops. I never hesitated with the InfiniTV4. I have thoroughly enjoyed using WMC and find it to be a competent and reliable DVR app and the only way to record DRM content other than using a Tivo or my provider's DVR. You can get the same programs via streaming services, but I believe you usually have to pay extra to stream them.

On several occasions in the past, Microsoft dropped the ball and almost had everyone run out of guide data. Anyone that uses WMC knows that Microsoft can pull the plug on providing guide data at any time. It says so in the agreement you click on when you set up WMC. At a later date Microsoft decided to switch their guide data provider from Tribune Media to Rovi, which has proven to be a less than satisfactory move for WMC users. This directly resulted in SiliconDust developing their own DVR app so we could get away from Microsoft and Rovi. Unfortunately, the SD DVR app has been plagued with broken promises and a horrible UI that is completely non-intuitive and has avoided the use of a grid-style program guide that everyone on the planet has become used to seeing on any TV device that provides such data. And guess what? If you want guide data when the app is officially released you will have to pay $25 a year for it, same as Schedules Direct.

Say what you want about WMC, but it just plain works. There's a lot of competition out their for your entertainment dollar. You have all kinds of streaming services, satellite providers, cable providers, internet programming, and so on. The term "cord cutting" has always been a bit of a misnomer unless all you want to do is watch OTA TV. The term just implies that you have dropped your cable provider as a source of TV programming and now use other sources for that media. Any other source of TV will require an internet connection so you're still attached to a provider with a cable so, in reality, you've never really cut the cord. You've just changed the way you use the one that's already coming into your house.
I was an early adopter as well, loved them. I have always liked WMC, at least for TV. I moved to the woods where cable as not available. But am reconsidering with a move coming. Even with DVR and commercial skipping streaming spoils me because I hate commercials.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
FWIW, other solutions also have free guide data, like Google "Live Channels" DVR for Android TV on Nvidia Shield and Channel Master Stream+ (OTA only). Many WMC users (including me) have migrated to those (I also have Tivo lifetime which is essentially free and also works with cable card).

But I agree that you could continue using WMC with free Microsoft provided data indefinitely if you can live with the occasional outages. If I still used WMC, I would switch to EPG123 in a heartbeat.

I do question why anybody with WMC or other cable card solution would still have any cable boxes at all.

And speaking of MagicJack, there are other cheap/free phone solutions with fax capability. I can fax with my Ooma service, and it costs about $4/month. Obi can also fax and uses a Google Voice number and is absolutely free.
The cable box was factored into the package,aka free box. I do pay for the cable card. So will the google live channels integrate into WMC?

·
Registered
15,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #879
So will the google live channels integrate into WMC?
Not at all. Live Channels is an Android alternative to WMC. I can't think of a good reason to integrate a far inferior DVR from an entirely different platform (Live Channels) into WMC.

The idea is you retire your WMC box and replace it with a smaller, cheaper Android box. However, I wouldn't recommend anybody happy with their WMC system do that. The main benefit of Live Channels is it runs on cheap hardware and integrates nicely with other streaming sources and apps if you want one box that does it all. So I can run my OTA DVR (Live Channels), Netflix, Amazon and DirecTV NOW all on the same small, cheap box (Stream+). But the trade-off is that the DVR is very basic.

·
Registered
11,440 Posts
The cable box was factored into the package,aka free box. I do pay for the cable card. So will the google live channels integrate into WMC?
Only a few choices. TiVo and WMC with a CableCARD tuner. Samsung did something a while back but I think it died. Hauppaugge has a two-tuner model similar to the Prime but WMC required for DRM content.

I'm moving away from WMC not because of WMC but rather because I'm tired of paying more for TV than I need to. As soon as I get OTA sorted, I'll be using it again but maybe not as much because the recording can be done from other apps as well and then viewed later anywhere there's decent internet. This is something that WMC cannot do. I'm still using my Echos though with it. I have a broken Ethernet cable in a wall jack I need to fix too as it has taken out all the upstairs bedrooms and those Echos do not like my AiMesh network bridge and will not stay connected. I may do a regular bridge though as that has always worked well with the echos. Just need the time!

861 - 880 of 942 Posts