Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Falco533
Anybody have any ideas if its possible to put a larger hard drive in a Pioneer 510, and being able to access all of it ????

:confused:
Me too!! I want to use mine as a big movie archive!

·
Registered
14 Posts
To figure this out, someone is going to have to void their warranty and check out the information on the hard drive... there must be some proprietary information stored on the disks that the system has to work with...

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree that the DVR510 is different from the DVR-810 (Tivo) and you would not be able to order a new disk from weaknees, but they also give you instructions on how to do it yourself.

What I'm thinking is, that basically all they are doing is copying the contents of the original disk onto the new bigger disk. When you first look at the instructions (say for the 810), they look over-whelming, but if you step through them, there are really only a couple of command line instructions to execute at a DOS/Linux prompt. So if you know how to make a CD image disk from the iso file they give you and make a bootable DOS floppy disk, then that is the hard part, which really isn't all that hard (they somewhat walk you through that).

Basically you boot off the floppy you made and run a little program that checks to see if your disk is UNLOCKED (most new drives are). If it isn't, then there is a

single command to run to unlock it. Next you boot off the CD image of a linux OS

I believe and type in one command to copy the contents from the original drive to the new drive. And then your done. You put the new drive back in and see if it works. You always have your original drive to fall back to.

I'm thinking about getting the Pioneer DVR-520H-S 80Gb recorder and will probably try it on that unit just for fun. I have a 120Gb drive laying around somewhere I'm sure that I could experiment on. I'm still trying to decide which recorder I want. Will probably be another month or more before I get one. Wondering what new models might be coming out for Xmas. Pioneer released four new units in Japan and perhaps Europe, but not the US yet.

I Haight that!!! I'm interested in the DVR-525H-S or DVR-620H-S or DVR-720H-S.

Common Pioneer release them in the good ol USA !!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Did you actually get a kit already? I'm sure we'd all like to know if anyone is able to accomplish this upgrade succesfully.

It would be nice to have similar instructions available, as I would think it would not be difficult to duplicate if it is as easy as you are saying. I had heard that the original Pioneer DVR-510 drive will show that there are bad sectors on the disk, but perhaps that was because the user was not examining the disk with a linux based application...

I wonder if it's as simple as using a Drive Image boot disk and attempting to copy the entire contents from one system to another, and expanding the space available in the process... hmm could be worth a shot ?

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Does anyone even know what OS these units use?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.